Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Weight- V3i

RLOH

I have been following the V3 since it was introduced and it seems to be a great detector. I currently have a DFX which I really like and have developed some progrrams which work for me. I also have an Explorer 11 and I don't like the weight-balance issue of it. Though the DFX weighs around 4 pounds, it is extremely well balanced and I have no trouble swinging it for four hours or so. I can't say the same about the Explorer. I went to my local Whites dealer to get a V3 in my hands. Right off the bat, it seemed heavier than my DFX. But, in defense of the V3, it was mid winter and I had not picked up any detector in three months or so. I am getting older and weaker so maybe my first impression was sort of like an out of shape person trying to exercise. Do any of the V3 owners find the V3 to heavier than the DFX? One thing for sure, Whites makes the best built detectors period.

Here is previous thread on weight. I was thinking it was very close to the DFX with the batteries weighting slightly more on the V3i.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?66,939698,940587#msg-940587

I think the standard coil for the DFX is the 950 coil and the DFX300 is the 12" concentric. The standard coil on the V3i is the D2.
I believe if you equiped the DFX with the D2 the weight would be almost identical. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

The V3i could most likely be lightened by adding the 950 coil in place of the D2, but you might give up some sensitivity to small targets and the way the D2 signal penetrates the ground is more of a linear pattern rather than a circular one from the 950 coil. Target seperation might then be an issue. Everbody has their favorite coil type though and you can pick your own.

[attachment 189665 2011-03-04_120220.jpg]

Thanks Rob for the pictures. The DFX and the DFX300 pictured have the 950 coil, but the weight differance would be the 12" coil on the DFX300 that is standard on it not shown in this picture.
I guess the weight differance on the V3i then is the D2 coil and the larger pod. The batteries on the V3i and the DFX weigh the same, I have both detectors.

The rod and box are the same size between all three models shown, could also be that V3i may have a few more ounces of electronics weight?

Anyway, looks like the V3i is heavier. Not unbearable, but after 4-5 hr my back does get pretty tired. Of course it was also tiring with the DFX.