Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Weird piece of silver found recently.

fwcrawford

I found this old dime a couple of days ago at a local park that has some history to it, and after some cleaning, I am beginning to wonder whether it is counterfeit or not.
It was tarnished like a clad dime when I first found it and if not for noticing the wreath on the back, I would have thought it was only a clad dime.
In a couple of spots, it appears as if the top layer has come off exposing a base metal underneath of it.. it does not attract to a magnet though.
Anyone have any thoughts about it?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

IMG_0286.JPGIMG_0287.JPG

Last edited:
CORRECTION
US Barber dime. 1892 to 1916.
Google this . 1892 to 1916 barber dime

Last edited:
With the blisters, etc., I would guess it is a real dime that has been in a fire................still a nice find!

Iowa Dale

Man, I'm with you FW....that underlying 'base' metal looks corroded in a way that silver doesn't.

I'm not saying it CAN'T be silver, but I've found silver coins from fires before, and none ever look like that.
(Have you tried weighing it with an accurate scale, and comparing it to the weight of a real Barber?)

Most interesting, at the very least.
:)
mike

I did weigh the coin this morning... 1.3 grams.
I also weighed a couple others.... one worn and one wasn’t... same weight.
Normal weight is 1.5 grams.

I found this old dime a couple of days ago at a local park that has some history to it, and after some cleaning, I am beginning to wonder whether it is counterfeit or not.
It was tarnished like a clad dime when I first found it and if not for noticing the wreath on the back, I would have thought it was only a clad dime.
In a couple of spots, it appears as if the top layer has come off exposing a base metal underneath of it.. it does not attract to a magnet though.
Anyone have any thoughts about it?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

View attachment 1184View attachment 1185
How deep was it?

I see those scaling area's i have never seen such a thing maybe you could send some pics too some professional grading sites and they may have the answers.

I see those scaling area's i have never seen such a thing maybe you could send some pics too some professional grading sites and they may have the answers.

I think I will take it to a local coin dealer and let them take a look at it... the more I look at it, the more it looks counterfeit... a dime could buy a lot in 1906!!