Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Well earned first deer

Ronstar

When my boys were younger I would pull them from school one day and take them out on a deer hunt. We went over firearms safety, ethics, sportsmanship, love of nature, and all the other good freedoms we love in the outdoors. My oldest boy tried in vain to get his first deer but just never was in the right place at the right time. Once, while out in a couple inches of snow, we hit fresh elk track and I had a late cow tag. He asked if those were fresh and I said to move over and stay close behind me. About 10 minutes of tracking and slow moving I took good cow elk and at age 13 (back in 1994) he dove right in and helped. Took a couple selfies (timer) and made a couple pack trips back to the Jeep. That boy sure slept good that night!!! He eventually left home and struck out on his own but never did get his first deer.
In 2017 he paid out the dollars to get an out of state license and tags to come back to where he was born and try and get that first deer. Nope, sitting on a meadow a spike elk emerged and yup, I had an elk tag!!! De jevu…..For the next three years we tried in vain to get on a deer but it just never happened.
This year he said he was going to give it one more try as its a bit expensive doing the out of state buying. Four days in various weather conditions we walked, sat, snuck around, and generally covered a lot of ground. Believe it or not all we saw was elk and lots of them. His GPS track function showed just under 20 miles walked in four days (liked to killed me but I did it)! Day five was the lucky day…….
Early afternoon we had movement on a meadow edge and out walked a decent size doe. A quick check showed 128 yds so this should be meat in the pan. He waited until the deer was facing broadside, ensured a safe back drop, waited for the right moment and made the shot. One shot drop in its tracks!!! We walked up to it, carefully checked for life, and the deer was dead. Now this was his first field dressing but he had been in on the two elk and learned from watching. I only advised him on things as he asked and he had it done in about 30 minutes, not bad for his first.
Once we were home he finished skinning it out and taking initial carcass cleaning and care. Then we went inside and shared a congratulatory beer and shot of whiskey and Mom made dinner. Next next day we took the hide in to be tanned hair on and generally relaxed. Next day we sat down and with the help of a good reference book he butchered the animal down to his preferred cuts. We wrapped it all and got it to the freezer, the “nothing” pieces went to the butcher shop and breakfast sausage was made (he wants to mix it with huckleberries when he gets home and create his own flavor). We packed him up and he went home yesterday.
Now on the wall downstairs is a picture of he and I and that cow elk in 1994. He was 13 and I just turned 40, on the back I wrote “Are these fresh tracks” and “Move over”, I also wrote the location, the rifle make and caliber and the load used. Someday he will find that if he takes the frame off.
He turned 40 last August so he is my age in that photo, also, it turned out his first deer was a buck! There were no antlers but we learned a few old bucks stop growing antlers so kind of a trophy in a different way.
Everything I taught him about deer hunting he retained. Took awhile but he finally got one and feels very good about providing for his family.
I’m proud of that boy…….

Attachments

• FCFF2E5B-2E98-4273-A2CF-4FD290B64DD8.jpeg
    FCFF2E5B-2E98-4273-A2CF-4FD290B64DD8.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 224
  • C60CAA67-ED4E-4096-ADFE-FCEFCFCB4AFB.jpeg
    C60CAA67-ED4E-4096-ADFE-FCEFCFCB4AFB.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 230
  • 9775D040-3E4D-4486-86BA-6E2FE1C0852A.jpeg
    9775D040-3E4D-4486-86BA-6E2FE1C0852A.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 217
  • AA056933-7588-404D-BF6A-53C369BCA567.jpeg
    AA056933-7588-404D-BF6A-53C369BCA567.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 218
  • 037D5DE0-AEBE-4332-9083-E7778651276E.jpeg
    037D5DE0-AEBE-4332-9083-E7778651276E.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 226
  • 3161CF81-0211-4B13-BD26-BE41D2E7D02F.jpeg
    3161CF81-0211-4B13-BD26-BE41D2E7D02F.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 230
Its a Ruger 357. I had a SW 29 Classic Hunter 44 on. We were using 7mm Remington Magnums, his a Ruger Hawkeye and mine a M70 Classic Stainless
Although this is black bear country we rarely see them this late in the year.

When my boys were younger I would pull them from school one day and take them out on a deer hunt. We went over firearms safety, ethics, sportsmanship, love of nature, and all the other good freedoms we love in the outdoors. My oldest boy tried in vain to get his first deer but just never was in the right place at the right time. Once, while out in a couple inches of snow, we hit fresh elk track and I had a late cow tag. He asked if those were fresh and I said to move over and stay close behind me. About 10 minutes of tracking and slow moving I took good cow elk and at age 13 (back in 1994) he dove right in and helped. Took a couple selfies (timer) and made a couple pack trips back to the Jeep. That boy sure slept good that night!!! He eventually left home and struck out on his own but never did get his first deer.
In 2017 he paid out the dollars to get an out of state license and tags to come back to where he was born and try and get that first deer. Nope, sitting on a meadow a spike elk emerged and yup, I had an elk tag!!! De jevu…..For the next three years we tried in vain to get on a deer but it just never happened.
This year he said he was going to give it one more try as its a bit expensive doing the out of state buying. Four days in various weather conditions we walked, sat, snuck around, and generally covered a lot of ground. Believe it or not all we saw was elk and lots of them. His GPS track function showed just under 20 miles walked in four days (liked to killed me but I did it)! Day five was the lucky day…….
Early afternoon we had movement on a meadow edge and out walked a decent size doe. A quick check showed 128 yds so this should be meat in the pan. He waited until the deer was facing broadside, ensured a safe back drop, waited for the right moment and made the shot. One shot drop in its tracks!!! We walked up to it, carefully checked for life, and the deer was dead. Now this was his first field dressing but he had been in on the two elk and learned from watching. I only advised him on things as he asked and he had it done in about 30 minutes, not bad for his first.
Once we were home he finished skinning it out and taking initial carcass cleaning and care. Then we went inside and shared a congratulatory beer and shot of whiskey and Mom made dinner. Next next day we took the hide in to be tanned hair on and generally relaxed. Next day we sat down and with the help of a good reference book he butchered the animal down to his preferred cuts. We wrapped it all and got it to the freezer, the “nothing” pieces went to the butcher shop and breakfast sausage was made (he wants to mix it with huckleberries when he gets home and create his own flavor). We packed him up and he went home yesterday.
Now on the wall downstairs is a picture of he and I and that cow elk in 1994. He was 13 and I just turned 40, on the back I wrote “Are these fresh tracks” and “Move over”, I also wrote the location, the rifle make and caliber and the load used. Someday he will find that if he takes the frame off.
He turned 40 last August so he is my age in that photo, also, it turned out his first deer was a buck! There were no antlers but we learned a few old bucks stop growing antlers so kind of a trophy in a different way.
Everything I taught him about deer hunting he retained. Took awhile but he finally got one and feels very good about providing for his family.
I’m proud of that boy…….
Awesome
Congratulations on a great hunt.
Those are precious memories.
I’m proud of that boy…….
Awesome
Congratulations on a Great Hunt.
Now it's his turn to continue the tradition.
Hopefully it doesn't take 20 some years. 🙂
Precious memories.

I get seriously wracked off listening to all these stories about how you folk head off into the woods with a big powerful rifle and kill deer etc.The biggest challenge we have here is fighting through the crowds of shoppers in the supermarket to reach the correct meat freezer........we cant even carry a locking blade in this country.
Don't ever let them take your freedoms from you guys.Good hunting.

I get seriously wracked off listening to all these stories about how you folk head off into the woods with a big powerful rifle and kill deer etc.The biggest challenge we have here is fighting through the crowds of shoppers in the supermarket to reach the correct meat freezer........we cant even carry a locking blade in this country.
Don't ever let them take your freedoms from you guys.Good hunting.
For the longest time, I hunted with a handgun because taking deer with a rifle wasn't any challenge. I hunted a lot with bows and crossbows, too, and I've shot deer as close as 12 feet (3.69 meters). You see, to me the challenge isn't how far away I can hit them, it's how close can I get. That takes woodsmanship skills, and that takes dedication and time in the woods to acquire.

And I have no intention of giving up my liberty. I'd rather die on my feet than my knees.

For the longest time, I hunted with a handgun because taking deer with a rifle wasn't any challenge. I hunted a lot with bows and crossbows, too, and I've shot deer as close as 12 feet (3.69 meters). You see, to me the challenge isn't how far away I can hit them, it's how close can I get. That takes woodsmanship skills, and that takes dedication and time in the woods to acquire.

And I have no intention of giving up my liberty. I'd rather die on my feet than my knees.
Love stalking my prey.
I hunt with a .58 inline.
Shooting 45/300 grain xtps homemade sabot's.
I prefer a clean near instant kill.
Never had one get over 50 ft.
Handgun hunting I prefer headshots. Instant Off.
I despise bad bow hunters
We've harvested two with arrows stuck in them
Neighbors said the one had been walking around for weeks with the arrowhead sticking out of its chest.
So infected we just buried it.
Thankfully put the big buck out of it's misery.

This was the Last deer I harvested with a slug gun. He ran maybe a 100 yards. 😐
I had fallen asleep in the snow up against a tree.
Less than 35 ft away. He snapped a twig waking me up. Scope was worthless.
Had to sight looking down the side of the barrel.
Sad I took him in his prime.
Thought he was older.
Could have breed a few more like him.

Attachments

• IMG_20190712_185043980.jpg
    IMG_20190712_185043980.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 148
Last edited: