Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Well getting my hearing aid today!

Hank68

Hello everyone I'm off to get my new hearing aid today from the VA , im only 44 so it makes me feel some what older, but I might get more depth from my detector with the louder tones lol! Now I will be able to hear what my wife truly says about me! Haha HH tigerhank

Great news Hank! Im sure your detecting and quality of life will both improve. Good luck and keep us posted. HH. Matt

Thanks Matt it will be nice to hear and understand what people are saying without asking them to repeat what they are saying, but now I dont have an excuse for not listening to my wife! JJ honey! HH Hank

Really........ I'm sure everything will be better being able to hear properly.. Open up the world for you again.......... Your wife just may be saying nice things about you !!

Keep us posted ........... I may be not far behind you on getting fitted !!

Thank you Elton, am excited to get it, my wife she has been good about the loud tv in the house , thanks again sir, HH Hank

I can hear clearly now the storm is gone! Lol sounds like my head is in a barrel as I talk! WoW! Now if a can get a bionic arm for swinging the detector i well be set like a cat in a chicken house! Im headed home to try out the detector, thanks for your comments, HH tigerhank68

Hi Hank,

It takes getting use to and you may not notice the difference right away. Also that Barrel feeling you mention will go away just give it time. When I first started wearing them, I would take them out when I got home from work and wasn't really hearing the difference. But then...I started wearing them everyday (for 3 months straight) and taking them out right before bed each night. After 3 months of non-stop use I decided one day not to use them and see just how well I could hear my family..... it was at that point I realized the "magnitude of difference" in hearing my family's speech. Although mine are not damp or water proof so I do not wear them outside and was told by my audiologist not to do so. The amount these things cost, I am taking her advice. My hearing loss is in the high frequencies so women and children are very hard for me to understand even with my hearing aids. Although the hearing aid does help tremendously there are some people that talk with such a high pitched voice or they have a high pitched voice and talk softly I can't hear their words at all. Don't get me wrong, I can hear them I just can't make out the words they speak.Maybe that is a good thing lol? My problem too is hearing over the constant tinnitus (orchestra of 24/7 crickets chirping / ringing in my ears) I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Just a suggestion for watching TV is to buy a 900 mhz rechargeable analog wireless stereo headphone system. That way you can keep the volume down on the TV so it doesn't blow out your wife's eardrums and you can adjust the volume on your headphones.

As far as metal detecting, I never wear them. I use Sunray pro gold headphones. First I crank the volume all the way up on my detector then lower the adjustable volume knobs on the headphones to a comfortable level. Faithfully wear the hearing aid everyday and you will "see" that it does make a world of difference in hearing speech. Best of luck to you Hank and Happy Hunting!! - Jim

Thanks Jim for your advice and info, I really do like them they are very small and not intrusive at all, I will get headphones for the TV thanks I didn't think of it, best of luck and HH Hank

Hi Hank

On that sounding like your in a barrel when you talk, bring that up with your audiologist, and have it taken care of.

Most of the time it's caused from a not so perfect fit of the ear mold, causing it to put pressure on the inner ear bone. They can smooth off the small part that's causing it.

One more cause is from the vent hole being a bit too small. Where you have a high freq. audio loss, they have a tendency to keep the vent small so they can crank in more power to boost the high end without causing feedback.

In either case, it's something that can be addressed most of the time.

Thanks Mr Bill for your helpful post I think it's the high end gain she said that it would go away but call in a week if it doesn't , HH Hank

Hank - glad to see that your enjoyment in life far outweighes your appearance. No doubt the signals will be clearer now, Steve in so az