Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Well here's something I just found out today when I called to get an update on my cz20 repair..

The hot rock was not a test, but an actual field result with my 70Pro: my friend's CZ-6 with 8" loop did not detect it. As to size the 10.5" the circumference is 32.99", the 12" is 39.7" That is empirical data not psychological bias (I felt it in the elbow too.) Numbers do not lie, nor my pain threshold. The simple facts are I like the 10.5 more as does NASA Tom, even if by your assessment it is in theory heavier. Maybe my rod is adjusted out longer?
I'll look for my camera ... when mounted on the rod the front edge of the two coils is nearly identical distance from the mounting bolt because the coil mount on the 10.5 inch coil is further back from center than on the 12 inch Sunray. If the rod adjustment was not the same that is a significant change that could explain the difference in torque on an elbow.

Several years back I read what Tom wrote about his theory of in ground coverage (swept volume is the term that I seem to recall) and his preference for the 10.5 inch. At the beach I had a couple targets that were clear digs with the 12 inch that were not picked up with the 10.5, also several years back when I spent time doing coil to coil comparisons. Ever since then the 12 inch has stayed on my CZ6a. The other advantage of the 12 inch is that the drag in the water is less because it is a thinner profile. I don't take it all the way in the water but in mid-calf wash, where moms chase and pick up toddlers and lose jewelry doing so, it is an easier swing ... although today I spend much more time with the Impulse AQ in those conditions than with any of the other detectors I have.

In any case, CZs are still very capable detectors.

I'll look for my camera ... when mounted on the rod the front edge of the two coils is nearly identical distance from the mounting bolt because the coil mount on the 10.5 inch coil is further back from center than on the 12 inch Sunray. If the rod adjustment was not the same that is a significant change that could explain the difference in torque on an elbow.

Several years back I read what Tom wrote about his theory of in ground coverage (swept volume is the term that I seem to recall) and his preference for the 10.5 inch. At the beach I had a couple targets that were clear digs with the 12 inch that were not picked up with the 10.5, also several years back when I spent time doing coil to coil comparisons. Ever since then the 12 inch has stayed on my CZ6a. The other advantage of the 12 inch is that the drag in the water is less because it is a thinner profile. I don't take it all the way in the water but in mid-calf wash, where moms chase and pick up toddlers and lose jewelry doing so, it is an easier swing ... although today I spend much more time with the Impulse AQ in those conditions than with any of the other detectors I have.

In any case, CZs are still very capable detectors.
Its not the loop covering more ground because of size that gets deep hits, but being ground balanced and precisely centered over the target that brings in the deep targets as the field is cone shaped. Thats often why detectors still hit targets in hard hit fields, and at time maybe not extremely deep, When I got the Baron Coin Trax/Deep Hunter it really opened things back up, but with full boost and a 10.5 loop it will over drive the front end in some ground. The CZ's can run with it w/o 16 AA's though, (The Compass X-100 with 16" loop was matching these depths in the mid '80's--wish I still had it.) Would be nice if Fisher designed a wafer loop like George Payne made for the Mk-1: it slides through water, even churning surf. I have been using Eric Foster P.I.'s since 1980 so I know their depth's and gave my last one to Old Beechnut (Tim). As to the AQ it simply is not available to the general public as I've had Richard @ Backwoods looking before I go back overseas to the Philippines: almost no one hunts there. The CZ downside is that FRL does not have parts any more so getting one repaired is a maybe. Buying one not working for parts is a good idea. I hope that Dave and John are making a new multi.

Reactions: tvr
Sounds like the CZ20 is still a decent contender on the beach. I have a pristine CZ20-8" that I bought about 17 years ago, and used it for a few fresh water hunts at seeded events. I never made it to a salt water beach to use it . Now at the age I am, probably won't; I might be interested in selling it.

As to the AQ it simply is not available to the general public as I've had Richard @ Backwoods looking before I go back overseas to the Philippines: almost no one hunts there.
Was reading on a different forum that they still had a few of the LTDs left ... let me look and I'll be back.

Sounds like the CZ20 is still a decent contender on the beach. I have a pristine CZ20-8" that I bought about 17 years ago, and used it for a few fresh water hunts at seeded events. I never made it to a salt water beach to use it . Now at the age I am, probably won't; I might be interested in selling it.
Then go to Classified Ads: this is not the place to talk about it.

Found the camera ... the front edge of the 10.5 when the two coils are held with the rod mount in the same position is short of the front edge of the FZ12 ... but closer than it is to the back edge.
The 10.5 inch is thicker in both bottom to top thickness and in the width of the webs / structure holding the windings. From the bottom, that is a very big area filled with epoxy on the 10.5 inch. I don't know if Fisher used any light weight epoxy in the CZ coils like they say they used in the Impulse AQ LTD coils.
In any case, I found both the big coils (10.5 and FZ12) not of much use over dirt but the preferable choice at the beach over the sand. With the CZ20 I liked the 8 inch coil over the 10.5 because of water drag.
I should have retaken the second two pictures with the coil cover off the 10.5 inch ... perhaps another day.

BottomOfFZ12.jpgBottomOfTenPointFive.jpgFisherThicker.jpgMountOffset.jpg

I like the CZ detectors. Had a CZ-5 for years. Have used CZ-20's in the water a lot and from all the testing I have done with my buddy and his Excalibur in shallow salt water neither of us could find a weak siginal that the other could not find. The CZ-20 and 21 is right on par with the Excalibur. I now own a mint CZ-70 pro
with the smaller coil. Wish I could find a good used larger Fisher coil for it.