Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Went Back To A 2003 Site To Try Out The NOX

Mike K (Ohio)

[size=large]Well got out today. Went to a place I've hunted since 2003 and I'm sure plenty of other people have hit the same place over and over over the years lol. The Civil War Era Store token came out of the hole with a couple of nails. But sounded off like a nice sweet target to dig. Its an 1863 and thinner than my last store token. Plus as a bonus a couple of silvers nothing special with them...[/size]

There are Token books for each State, maybe the library would have a copy. That old it should be a good one.
HH Jeff

Super nice finds Mike! I love the Civil War token

[size=large]Here is some info someone shared with me about this coin....

As the Civil War was going on, gold, then silver, then copper coinage was hoarded, so commerce was crippled. Merchants had tokens made, like this one, that were used in place of cents. The theory was that after the Mint was able to supply coins, these would be redeemed by the merchant. But they truly circulated as coins at the time. They are called Civil War Storecards. There is a whole series that were known as Patriotic Civil War tokens becasue those did not mention a merchant.[/size]

[size=large]Here is some info someone shared with me about this coin....

As the Civil War was going on, gold, then silver, then copper coinage was hoarded, so commerce was crippled. Merchants had tokens made, like this one, that were used in place of cents. The theory was that after the Mint was able to supply coins, these would be redeemed by the merchant. But they truly circulated as coins at the time. They are called Civil War Storecards. There is a whole series that were known as Patriotic Civil War tokens becasue those did not mention a merchant.[/size]

Cool finds Mike congratulations I’ve been slacking detecting lol hit a curb strip for a 1947 dime other day got a great permission 1700’s house
Mark