Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Went back to the river today

jabbo

Same area where I found the silver bust dime yesterday. Found two large borderless pennies with no detail. I'd say they're King Georges, we find those around here. A fired musket ball that looks like it hit something. A 2 inch diameter, 14.5 Oz metal ball found in the water. Could be some kind of Rev War small canon ball, there were plenty of American and British troops all around this area. A Zippo, sinker, and a clay marble laying on top of the gravel near the water. I'd appreciate any info on this 2 inch diameter heavy metal ball. Jabbo

still a really great spot to hunt

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/106722-civil-war-cannon-ball-help/

Check out this link. I think it might be relevant. My guess would be you found either grapeshot or canister shot. Hope this helps!

Thanks Scenario. I went to the link. They say 2" diameter balls are called grapeshot. These balls were fired individually from cannons prior to the Civil War and in clusters during the Civil War. The ball I found weighs 14.5 ounces, that can do serious damage at high speed. A few years ago I found a 3.5" cannon ball in the river, a little downstream. Thanks for the help. Jabbo

Cool finds, I like the marble. I pity the guy who had to lug a backpack full of lead across the countryside...the marble seems a little out of place in comparison to the other finds..any chance clay marbles were somehow used as a weapon? would be a whole lot lighter than carry lead... then again if they were smart they could have just floated thier supplies down stream.. congrats.

Happy to be of any help jabbo! A great find with lots of historical possibilities. Was it reading as lead I wonder or was it a different metal? Anyway congrats!

nice finds jabbo. I wouldn't want to get hit with that ball lol

The clay marble fits right in. I found King George pennies, several sinkers made from musket balls, and many modern sinkers here. The solid shale bottom is as slippery as ice. Lots of metal things, including the 1820 dime and these 2 KG pennies are mixed in with the gravel/stones/rock that gathers here and there. Where the stuff gathers could be a good place to search when the ground freezes. I don't know what the ball is made of, seems like some kind of metal harder than lead. Going back today and search again. Some areas where the gravel gathers has a solid shale bottom so stuff can't sink too deep In those places. Many times I can't think of a good place to search. These gravel bars along the river may be the answer, metal stuff prior to the Rev. War can be found here. HH, Jabbo

Jabbo I know you are very aware of its slipperiness - however be extra, extra careful on that shale. I want you to come back and report you had a great day :) I also believe you are on the right trail with your thinking. Those coins would get caught right into the gravel. Help me to understand your thoughts on why you would wait for the ground to freeze? Good luck and look forward to your report - Jim

jabbo said:
The clay marble fits right in. I found King George pennies, several sinkers made from musket balls, and many modern sinkers here. The solid shale bottom is as slippery as ice. Lots of metal things, including the 1820 dime and these 2 KG pennies are mixed in with the gravel/stones/rock that gathers here and there. Where the stuff gathers could be a good place to search when the ground freezes. I don't know what the ball is made of, seems like some kind of metal harder than lead. Going back today and search again. Some areas where the gravel gathers has a solid shale bottom so stuff can't sink too deep In those places. Many times I can't think of a good place to search. These gravel bars along the river may be the answer, metal stuff prior to the Rev. War can be found here. HH, Jabbo

Jim, what I meant was when the ground freezes then the gravel bars would be a good place to go in the winter. I was there today for 4 hours and found no keepers, only a Memorial penny, the rest was junk. But there is a lot of sand bars there still waiting to be searched, will try again. Unreal how slippery the red shale bottom is, but the water is only knee deep in most places. HH, Dave

Ok, now I understand what you are saying. My day hunting was almost like yours. I found two memorial pennies on one of the park paths. Some days are a hit others are a complete miss. HH - Jim