Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Went out Saturday again..

JoeinMemphis

Still hitting the 1849 house in Mississippi, four years now, and still haven't found any coins older than the 1919 Wheetie I found last week... in fact I think the total for that place is 6 coins total. I am dying for my first silver, but all I seem to find is nails, hose nozzle parts, more nails, molten lead blobs, more nails, some #8 solid copper wire, insulin (or something) bottles, more iron bits, an old doorknob, a .50 BMG shell casing, casters, Budweiser can parts, the ever present pull tab, shotgun brass, and a large cast metal "thing" that was under a 4" root.... I thought I found a silver half once there, but it turned out to be a Shell Mr President game token (aluminum). Do I stink at this or what????

I was running Gonehuntings program, with a wide open screen, it was hitting fine, but that place is so iron littered you have 8-10 iron "hits" per swing. I wanted to ground balance the unit, but couldn't find a patch of ground the size of the coil that was without iron junk... LITERALLY! I think there has to be something there hiding among the iron, but you see what I get when I dig that higher tone that squeaks in occasionally. I have target trace and pinpoint trace on, and auto +2. When pinpointing I occasionally get a horizontal smear pretty much across the entire 12ish line, with maybe 1/4" clear on either side. Does anyone know what the machine is trying to tell me with that one?
HH
Joe

You're not alone, Joe. The first thing I found in my yard with my new CTX was a 4" piece of copper pipe. The second and third things were 2" round pieces of aluminum knock outs from a fuse box or something. I'm not counting the aluminum cans and roofing aluminum odds and ends I've dug up. I even dug up an 8" aluminum nail. I didn't even know such a thing existed!

So, I'm thinking I'll go to the beach. There aren't many with waterproof detectors who can get too far from the shore. After about a total of 8 hours hunting three nearby lake beaches at around waist deep, I've come away with even more aluminum.

I'm beginning to believe that like real estate there are just 3 things you need to concern yourself with when metal detecting. They are Location, Location and Location.

And, to everyone, I'll quit complaining after 1) Minelab fixes the speaker on my CTX, 2) I find some dirt that I don't need a jackhammer to dig deeper than 4 inches and 3) some silver or gold turns up in one of my holes or my scoop! :shrug:

I hear ya! My speaker works, but I am with you on #2 and #3!! That place can't possibly be hunted out with .50 cal shell casings coming up etc... and its 40 acres!!
HH
Joe

Yes it is, I had those on one house in the past, for hanging the gutter...
HH
Joe

Crusty said:
pspr said:
I even dug up an 8" aluminum nail. I didn't even know such a thing existed!

That would be an eves-trough nail.

Dave

I can see that. I've just never seen one in the ground before, I guess. I was surprised, thought maybe I stumbled across the crucifiction site. :crylol:

n/t