Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Were some Officers paid with gold coins?

Very Interesting question. Here are two links discussing military pay during the CW. Good reading but talks mostly about bills and notes (some worthless) for pay.

http://www.cincinnaticwrt.org/data/ccwrt_history/talks_text/moffat_soldiers_pay.html

http://www.nps.gov/fosu/forteachers/upload/Money-Civil-War-Activity.pdf

Cajuncoinhunter said:
Very Interesting question. Here are two links discussing military pay during the CW. Good reading but talks mostly about bills and notes (some worthless) for pay.

http://www.cincinnaticwrt.org/data/ccwrt_history/talks_text/moffat_soldiers_pay.html

http://www.nps.gov/fosu/forteachers/upload/Money-Civil-War-Activity.pdf

Awesome links!

Those are great reads EJ, thanks.

I have been relic hunting for over 35 years and found my share of Gold coins, but only $1 coins. All are of the type 111's dated in 1861 and 62's but one was an early Type 1 that a friend dug with me. This is from what I have discovered in my digging, in my area were some early camps dated Sept 61 to April 62, and from the archives we found they had been paid in one of those camps. It seem that if you can find a camp in that time period you have a terriifc chance of digging gold dollars. Not only were the officers paid that way so were the enlisted men. We have laid out these camps from archives records and have found a fair share in both area's --enlisted and officers..As the war went on in the later of 1862 gold wasn't used as much in pay, other existing coins were but the script was taking over. So yes we have dug many 3 cent pieces ,seated half dimes,seated dimes, seated quarters and half dollar, way many of these to over a half dozen $1 gold coins between my digging partner and myself. With Union camps littered with nails you have to be using a DD coil, a fast processing machine using 0 discm, 4 tones and listing to the iron grunts, hoping to hear one of the other tones ping up. Yes 50% of the time you will have wet iron or a ferrous target making the ping, but the other 50% is usually a non ferrous with the iron...We use the F 75 LTD"s with the small DD in really nail heaven but the gold and other coins come up with the 11" DD as well. Most of our coins have been with the 11" and a few gold were all there by themselves but near Iron not really in the Iron. To hunt in the Iron this way takes some pratice and you have to start out slow, for it really makes the brain crazy. But you are out there to have fun so just enjoy the hunt no matter what you dig....

dirtdigger08 said:
I have been relic hunting for over 35 years and found my share of Gold coins, but only $1 coins. All are of the type 111's dated in 1861 and 62's but one was an early Type 1 that a friend dug with me. This is from what I have discovered in my digging, in my area were some early camps dated Sept 61 to April 62, and from the archives we found they had been paid in one of those camps. It seem that if you can find a camp in that time period you have a terriifc chance of digging gold dollars. Not only were the officers paid that way so were the enlisted men. We have laid out these camps from archives records and have found a fair share in both area's --enlisted and officers..As the war went on in the later of 1862 gold wasn't used as much in pay, other existing coins were but the script was taking over. So yes we have dug many 3 cent pieces ,seated half dimes,seated dimes, seated quarters and half dollar, way many of these to over a half dozen $1 gold coins between my digging partner and myself. With Union camps littered with nails you have to be using a DD coil, a fast processing machine using 0 discm, 4 tones and listing to the iron grunts, hoping to hear one of the other tones ping up. Yes 50% of the time you will have wet iron or a ferrous target making the ping, but the other 50% is usually a non ferrous with the iron...We use the F 75 LTD"s with the small DD in really nail heaven but the gold and other coins come up with the 11" DD as well. Most of our coins have been with the 11" and a few gold were all there by themselves but near Iron not really in the Iron. To hunt in the Iron this way takes some pratice and you have to start out slow, for it really makes the brain crazy. But you are out there to have fun so just enjoy the hunt no matter what you dig....

Great info and post. We ALL appreciate these types of informative posts. cch