Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What are the chances?

jim tn

I seldom post about my finds any more and no longer carry a camera and my phone is still the antique flip top style, but ever so often I kind of wish I could.

Yesterday I was hunting on a very old park that has trash in it going back to Civil war time. I was carefully hunting along a tree line and over the course of the hunt recovered 3 Mercury dimes, 1 I H cent and a few wheats, along with some clad. Nothing all that outstanding, but I don't have all that many 3 silver days anymore, so I was a happy camper.

When I got home I checked the dates of my old coins and found (no, no 16 d Merc) all the Mercury dimes were1943 d's. Each had different amounts of wear and were found many yards apart. I wonder what the odds are of that happening. HH jim Tn

I’d say the odds were pretty good for you yesterday!!!😃
I searched around an old house that had recently been torn down a few years ago and found one Mercury dime laying on top of the ground.
I found another one just below the soil about a foot away... both dated 1920.
I thought maybe I had found a disturbed cache, but they were the only two I found.
Three silver coins in a hunt is great....start posting again!!!
That IH is a nice find.. some days I’m happy with a wheat penny!!

I would think you would have to ask the odds makers in Vegas to answer your question. But in the meanwhile I will suggest someone went there every year and dropped a ‘43 dime until the war was over!! Accounts for the wear difference and makes a good theory........ good saves!!!

I'd say pretty slim odds on them being all the same date and mintmark. You mentioned wear patterns and that's what makes your finds even more interesting, pointing to them being lost at different times. A three silver day doesn't come along that often anymore. Nice hunting.

congrats on not only the 3 silver day but the IH and wheats as well!!!! dates are funny... I always check my clad dimes cause one time I had two black rosies I almost threw in with my clad... today's hunt had dimes dated consecutively. 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, and 3 1970's... and two 1965 quarters... it was a close but no cigar day for me!

Congrats on a fine hunt! Three silvers, an Indian, wheats and clad, I’d be celebrating with a couple of cold ones after a hunt like that!

I have had something kind of similar happen this year. I have found five silver coins so far in 2021, each one has been a Rosie, each one has been a ‘64d. Each one was found on a separate day, in separate locations ( no coin spills or multiple silver days). I’m not complaining because silver is silver. It just seems kind of unusual. Maybe I need to hit some older locations. GL & HH.

That's pretty unusual in itself. Straight flush! HH jim tn
I'm pretty sure I didn't find them in order or I would be playing the lotto!:LOL:.... funny in the field I cannot see squat... when I get home I wash them then put on my glasses and grab the lupe! I can't tell the difference between a memorial or a wheat till I'm home... someday i'll buy a pair of "feild" glasses so i can look old as I dirtfish!

strange,ya,but maybe not as bizarre as one might think...I return to some spots I hunt over and over and I’ve noticed some days different metals hit more often than others,in other words some days I can’t seem to hit nothing but aluminum type targets,other days the copper and brass hit well and barely dig any aluminum despite having similar settings both days..those 3 dimes probably came out of the same pocket despite being spread out..you just hit it on the day silver was hitting good..

funny in the field I cannot see squat.
gunwolf, you aren't alone. In the right light conditions I can usually see the Memorial steps and if I can't it goes into a pill bottle filled with water and soaks until I get home for further scrutiny. As far as coin dates and mint marks on silver coin finds and wheats and Indialns in the field, they all have the prospects of being key dates until I get home and look at them under lights with a magnifier. Then reality comes along....A straight flush is still a straight flush. HH jim tn

That's gotta be long odds of happening! Nice job on pulling those three. like you said, the days of digging 3 in a day seem to be more and more rare.

like you said, the days of digging 3 in a day seem to be more and more rare.
3 silver days have been certainly tough for me to achieve of late, anyway. Oh, I know its being done, but typically as the results of door knocking and field trips into the more remote, rural area's, I suspect, anyway. And, door knocking isn't my cup of tea, so to speak. Plus, for me anyway, its kind of satisfying and challenging to eek a silver coin out of a hard hit and trashy spot.

Hope everyone has a great day. HH jim tn

t goes into a pill bottle filled with water and soaks until I get home for further scrutiny
For many years I use to carry a small bottle filled with olive oil for my Indians and Wheats to soak in until I got home and was able to clean them. I stopped doing this after I started hunting the fields because the olive oil seemed to counteract with the fertilizer. The water bottle method you use may be something I might try.

For many years I use to carry a small bottle filled with olive oil for my Indians and Wheats to soak in until I got home and was able to clean them. I stopped doing this after I started hunting the fields because the olive oil seemed to counteract with the fertilizer. The water bottle method you use may be something I might try.
Not my idea, but works pretty good.

I also put in a drop of liquid soap. The soapy water helps protect the coins from scratching and especially with I H's and wheats, the soaking loosens the dirt film so all is necessary usually is a gentle rub under the faucet to see the date once home. Occasionally, a tooth pick or Andre pencil becomes necessary, but the soaking works the majority of the time. HH Jim tn

Me the same way I Id a find half assedly until I get home. These old eyes ain't cutout
for that fine detail work in the field in the pouch it goes till I get Home or I would spend to much time trying to see what I got.