Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What are the odd's?

jim tn

I'm going to post this here on the Today's Find's Forum as I've already referenced the spot and some hunting results in Ronstrar's post "Green Grass" in this same forum.

The spot continues to yield each of us a silver coin or more almost daily. WE have some bad weather coming, but more importantly, the gates to the spot are locked on weekends or we would be out on the spot as long as we could get to it.

But to the point. Last Tues one of my hunting buddies was about 10' from his car just getting his CTX fired up and promptly recovered a shallow Memorial cent. About 5 or 6' further along he got another hit and from about 5" deep saved a beautiful 1841o Seated dime. To date, that's the oldest U S coin to come from the site. Yesterday we were hunting a area within sight of our vehicles and I was on a pretty decent roll having recovered 3 Merc's and 2 Barber dimes. My hunting buddy was silver coinless when we we decided to call it a day. Swinging our way back to the cars he stopped dead in his tracks, worked his coil a little and went to digging. In fairly short order, he yelled over "I got another Seated dime." As I got a little closer I could see him shaking his head and he handed me the just dug 1841o Seated dime. We were both dumbstruck, to say the least. What are the odd's of digging 2 Seated dimes within 30 yards of each other with the same date and mint marks? The first one grades ex fine and the 2nd one maybe about fine so seemingly one was carried longer than the other. Anyway, I told him he needs to buy a lottery ticket on the way home. HH jim tn

Amazing! Don't give up on that hunting spot!! Let me know if you need assistance 🤭🤭.

😂😂😂

Finding Mercs,Barbers and Seated on the same site means long term occupation in that area. Anything is possible in a spot like that. I wonder what kind of surprises are in store for you guys at that spot. Think Half Dime! Nice hunting.

Since you're reporting it happened, I think that places the odds at 100%. Well done.
Ha, yeah, Rich, you make a good point. I wouldn't want to bet on it happening again, though. But, unusual things do happen. In fact, here's another one. All this early morning chatter is jogging my old memory.

Back in 2007, the year after I retired, I was hunting a stretch of ground that shared time with golfers after they had tee'd off and walked a short distance to a bridge that crossed a small creek and people walking the trails in the woods of this city park....of which, also had a par 3 9 hole golf course. I was swinging a F 75 at the time and got a faint signal. With no one around, I went after it and promptly recovered a half of a (cut/clipped) Victoria Six Pence. The missing half was the portion that contained the date. Fast forward to 2012 and a hunting buddy and I were walking out of the woods from a morning of woods hunting and I was walking and swinging on that patch of ground that walkers and golfers often shared and got a weak high tone hit. Yeah, you guessed it! I recovered the other half of the Victoria Six Pence, with the mintage year of 1897 on it. Either a golfer or woods trail walker could have lost it, as the park has seen action (other then Civil War) since the late 1800's and the golf course has been there since 1912. I happen to recall the years as I've told the tale a number of times since. And still have the cut Six Pence stashed in a curio box.

Everyone have a grand day/week and stay warm. I am watching big white flakes come down, but not much sticking so far. HH jim tn

Ha, yeah, Rich, you make a good point. I wouldn't want to bet on it happening again, though. But, unusual things do happen. In fact, here's another one. All this early morning chatter is jogging my old memory.

Back in 2007, the year after I retired, I was hunting a stretch of ground that shared time with golfers after they had tee'd off and walked a short distance to a bridge that crossed a small creek and people walking the trails in the woods of this city park....of which, also had a par 3 9 hole golf course. I was swinging a F 75 at the time and got a faint signal. With no one around, I went after it and promptly recovered a half of a (cut/clipped) Victoria Six Pence. The missing half was the portion that contained the date. Fast forward to 2012 and a hunting buddy and I were walking out of the woods from a morning of woods hunting and I was walking and swinging on that patch of ground that walkers and golfers often shared and got a weak high tone hit. Yeah, you guessed it! I recovered the other half of the Victoria Six Pence, with the mintage year of 1897 on it. Either a golfer or woods trail walker could have lost it, as the park has seen action (other then Civil War) since the late 1800's and the golf course has been there since 1912. I happen to recall the years as I've told the tale a number of times since. And still have the cut Six Pence stashed in a curio box.

Everyone have a grand day/week and stay warm. I am watching big white flakes come down, but not much sticking so far. HH jim tn
Nice story.

Odds are the same as Me trying to detect on the beach last Sunday....ZERO Results....Even the Pebbles were frozen in the sand
20220116_150803.jpg

Odds are the same as Me trying to detect on the beach last Sunday....ZERO Results....Even the Pebbles were frozen in the sand
Dang Coin Rescue, where is that? Looks like a frozen lake. I betcha you could chisel out 1 coin up in the sand/ pebbles. LOL

Thanks, guys! I'll be 50 years with this great hobby this summer and it has been five decades of joy, sometimes tears, challenges and head scratching experiences. Not to mention, getting to know many of you all on this form.......even though we have never met. Take care, HH jim tn

Hi
Photo is from Lake Huron north if Port Huron. Here is where the lake enters the Clair River. Heavy current, open water and ice flows. Coast Guard ice breakers patrol this area to keep shipping open. The shoreline in the background is Canada
20220116_132704.jpg

I'm going to post this here on the Today's Find's Forum as I've already referenced the spot and some hunting results in Ronstrar's post "Green Grass" in this same forum.

The spot continues to yield each of us a silver coin or more almost daily. WE have some bad weather coming, but more importantly, the gates to the spot are locked on weekends or we would be out on the spot as long as we could get to it.

But to the point. Last Tues one of my hunting buddies was about 10' from his car just getting his CTX fired up and promptly recovered a shallow Memorial cent. About 5 or 6' further along he got another hit and from about 5" deep saved a beautiful 1841o Seated dime. To date, that's the oldest U S coin to come from the site. Yesterday we were hunting a area within sight of our vehicles and I was on a pretty decent roll having recovered 3 Merc's and 2 Barber dimes. My hunting buddy was silver coinless when we we decided to call it a day. Swinging our way back to the cars he stopped dead in his tracks, worked his coil a little and went to digging. In fairly short order, he yelled over "I got another Seated dime." As I got a little closer I could see him shaking his head and he handed me the just dug 1841o Seated dime. We were both dumbstruck, to say the least. What are the odd's of digging 2 Seated dimes within 30 yards of each other with the same date and mint marks? The first one grades ex fine and the 2nd one maybe about fine so seemingly one was carried longer than the other. Anyway, I told him he needs to buy a lottery ticket on the way home. HH jim tn
Hi Jim, I'm right behind you, this spring will be 48 years for me. Coin, relic and beach hunting, HH Jerry