Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What are your beliefs about metal detector? Old Tech VS New?

C

calabash digger

Will the old tech keep up with the new? Will most detectors find 90 percent of what other detectors will find? How do you know? Metal Detecting Philosophies we all have them! How did you arrive at yours???

I don't disagree with your thoughts. I think it is clear that the newer technology metal detectors offer a significant performance leap over the old technology machines. I also think that the newer machines (in general) offer numerous other benefits as well - ergonomics. light weight, useful features, etc..

However..

To the extent that faith/trust [in your machine] plays a role; I have no difficulty believing a proficient hunter (someone who is one with his/her machine) can have more success with their old technology machine (that they know and trust) than they would have with a new technology machine. Not every machine is a fit for every user - sometimes the most capable machine isn't the machine that gives some hunters the most performance.

I know [personal experience] that hunting with a top-performing machine that I just don't gel with - isn't much fun, or very rewarding as far as finds go.

I do try to buy/use machines that I believe offer a performance advantage - but I find it far more important to own/use machines that speak a language that I instinctually understand. For me, metal detecting is something I do for enjoyment; so owning/using machines that I enjoy using is an absolute must. Otherwise the hobby could become a task that I don't really want to engage in.

I suspect I approach metal detecting from a standpoint that is different (from yours). I know I miss good targets, but that doesn't concern me since I hunt the same areas over and over (different directions, different coils, different machines, etc..). I enjoy metal detecting for the "unknown" factor - who lost it, what was their life like, etc.. Questions that likely won't be answered in most cases. For me it isn't so much about the targets found - as it is the questions (in my mind) about the circumstances involving said target.

I am very much looking forward to your thoughts on the Deus II and the new smf machine from NM. If the NM machine performs as well as I hope - I'll buy one. I doubt that I'll buy the Deus II though as I'm not a water hunter so it doesn't seem as though it offers enough benefit (for my kind of hunting) to justify the cost.

Thanks for your post and explaining how you approach metal detecting. You know you brought up a very valid point about being one with a detector. I have seen a lot of people buy a higher end machine and never learn it. They thought the stuff would just fly out of the ground and when it didnt because they did not put the work in they were very disappointed. No matter what you swing the work must be there. I

I will say this though if someone is one with a detector that will only hit a 7 inch silver dime you can bet they will NEVER find a 10 inch silver dime...Maybe they dont care. I am wired very different...

In my own case I agree completely - I didn't put in the required work to truly learn the CTX 3030. I just did not like that machine. It wasn't that it was too complex - I absolutely loved my V3i (many hated it because it was complex).

I likewise agree with your comment about not finding a 10 inch silver dime if the machine used is only capable of 7 inches. I don't worry (much) about missing targets; some of that is due to the fact that I don't know, and some is due to the fact that I hunt the same areas over and over, using different machines, coils, frequencies, and directions. My assumption is that it is likely that I'll eventually get that 10 inch dime - when I'm using a machine that can get that depth.

I tend to value separation more than depth (for the places I typically hunt). I worry more about depth after I've hunted the site multiple times and got most targets (good and bad) out.

I am in a little different boat... I dont hunt the same places over unless they are loaded and something good was found there. So I need the depth and separation first go around as it might be one and done for me. Then on to the next one...MOST of the sites I hit are hard hit sites... So I need every advantage I can get.

Funny but I was having a discussion with a good friend about this topic recently. Given a site that is not highly compromised, an average detector can do just at well as much more expensive models. But in sites that require much deeper depth, high trash, hit hard etc thats where a high end machine that can be tweeked pays off. Did a site Friday with two hidden dollars and a 1864 IH in a horrendously trashy spot. My friend will not do these sites. I can't wait to go back cuz I'm sure I missed something. Unlike the other writer I love my 3030 but is on the blink, need new mother boards and is terribly expensive to repair. But at discount can get a new one for not too much more than the Deus II and the FBS machines are the best for IDing deep high conducts. Not sure I want to spend that though. But I do believe that having both the Deus and a really good SMF is very helpful.

I started in 1978, I'm 54 now and new tech absolutely does a better job, deeper, better separation, ergonomics, lighter, better batteries screens etc. First off the comfort level of a machine will keep you swinging longer so right there is a way to find more with say a deus over a gti 2500 Garrett that weighs 5-6lbs. Now we also have to define new tech.... Some companies we all know were just putting new stickers on an older machine. A joke. Then there is new tech like the deus that was a decade ahead of it's time.. a super fast , compact, updatable and it really opened up old sites. Then equinox came out some 7-8 years later. Does an amazing job in a lot of places. It has many flaws though in my opinion. There are no American manufacturers doing anything I want. Garrett = nope, whites is gone due to way to many nopes, First Texas is doing nothing but promises and not producing... Nokta Makro, XP and Minelab are really the only ones in the running as far as I'm concerned. There are several other Foreign manufacturers that I've not used and not interested in. So of these 3, XP is my personal favorite because it's built tough, light, very adjustable to a site, and I can swing all day. Nokta Makro builds tough detectors but several I've tried I just don't connect with and were heavy. Simplex wasn't too bad but it's non adjustable single frequency. I old tech analog detectors were any where near as good as actual new tech then tesoro would still be in business along with whites. So we can watch companies close and easily see why they closed. I tested a few detectors for whites and used them for 25 or more years. But they refused to listen and went under. So yes new tech kicks ass.

Absolutely agree with LTimedigger. In hard sites (in my case dense modern trash on top of old coins surrounded by rusty nails and rusty bottle caps), there is no doubt that high tech gives me a serious edge. I was an unbeliever until I got the Nox. Since I have been a long time Nokta user, I'm excited about their upcoming machine.

I am a serious detectorist, seen many changes over the years and must say that you have to continue to learn the new technology, as it is what will give you the edge in making the better (deeper)targets. Also the ability to detect (unmask)co- located targets . I also am a firm believer in being one with your detector. SMF is the next paradigm in detecting. I am ready to see what it’s all about!!!!!🇺🇸😃🇺🇸

An interesting subject for sure. I had always believed that an old Fisher CZ,Explorer, Whites DFX_XLT could find most of what some of the newer detectors find. A couple of years back, I had an interesting encounter with a guy with a brand new Deus. I was at a park where I had found many newer silver coins and hundreds of wheat pennies. The glory days were long gone and I now use this place for clad and jewelry hunting.

On this particular day I was using one of my favorite detectors, a Fisher F5. I felt comfortable and confident that I could match any detector made finding coins from the surface to six inches. When I ran into the Deus guy, I sent him to the part of the park where I use to have great success. We started comparing signals and twice the Deus completely dumfounded me. This is a trashy spot where a large fair held every Sept. I had not found anything good for a couple of years and was sure my new friend would not find anything to date the park.

Back to the two signals. He was new to the Deus and was using a stock program and I had my F5 set up in my old reliable coin program. On both of these signals, I got absolutely no signal, not even a static peep. I run a very low disc, with only iron disc'ed out. Both signals were coins and if my memory is correct, one or both were green wheaties. The bottom line, I heard nothing and those coins would have remained in the ground for the next guy with a Deus or Equinox. The funny part of this story is how much experience this fellow had with the Deus. Absolutely none! All in all, an amazing demonstration of new tech.

I started with a Bounty Hunter Lone Star. It was hard for me to get it tuned to find anything except large iron and surface items so I lost interest. Years later after reading a review on the Fisher F5 I bought one, started finding stuff day one at depths from surface to 6-7” (normal for this area I learned). Now have the F75.
Im not the type that has to find everything at one pass, cant happen I know this. Like everyone else I hate having someone a day behind me find what should have an easy hit. I’d like to think I’m the first person there but then I know I’m probably not so it is what it is as they say and besides look what I found that they missed!

I’ve learned if you have a good “team mate” and share hunting permissions or public areas then the “team” makes the find. I’ve learned more history about where I hunt than I ever knew about because of this sport. I dont do this for a living so I’m not a professional. I do this as a sport much like hunting or camping.

Is this a philosophy? Maybe. Am I anal about what I do? No, cant worry about what I missed or what I found. Do I learn? Yes. Do I forget? Well occasionally I have a mind fart and go back and start over. Have to laugh at the odd stuff, marvel at the good stuff, and sleep with a smile.

I am in a little different boat... I dont hunt the same places over unless they are loaded and something good was found there. So I need the depth and separation first go around as it might be one and done for me. Then on to the next one...MOST of the sites I hit are hard hit sites... So I need every advantage I can get.
[/QUYou'd You'd better to back where you found the Brown Bess buttplate.

If any of you are like me, (then you have used both old and new tech) . Areas I have hunted with old tech and thought I did a good job at cleaning out, have turned up more finds with the newer tech. Especially in the old colonial homesteads. I do agree that if you have a virgin area most detectors will do a good job at finding lots of things. But as some have posted the virgin areas are the glory days , and are now few and far between. The most important point in all the posts is really getting to know the machine you are using. Becoming one with it , letting it be an extension of your body. Kinda like the Jedi Knight "Use the Force " LoL .. Great discussion I like all the different view points as well.. HH

An interesting subject for sure. I had always believed that an old Fisher CZ,Explorer, Whites DFX_XLT could find most of what some of the newer detectors find. A couple of years back, I had an interesting encounter with a guy with a brand new Deus. I was at a park where I had found many newer silver coins and hundreds of wheat pennies. The glory days were long gone and I now use this place for clad and jewelry hunting.

On this particular day I was using one of my favorite detectors, a Fisher F5. I felt comfortable and confident that I could match any detector made finding coins from the surface to six inches. When I ran into the Deus guy, I sent him to the part of the park where I use to have great success. We started comparing signals and twice the Deus completely dumfounded me. This is a trashy spot where a large fair held every Sept. I had not found anything good for a couple of years and was sure my new friend would not find anything to date the park.

Back to the two signals. He was new to the Deus and was using a stock program and I had my F5 set up in my old reliable coin program. On both of these signals, I got absolutely no signal, not even a static peep. I run a very low disc, with only iron disc'ed out. Both signals were coins and if my memory is correct, one or both were green wheaties. The bottom line, I heard nothing and those coins would have remained in the ground for the next guy with a Deus or Equinox. The funny part of this story is how much experience this fellow had with the Deus. Absolutely none! All in all, an amazing demonstration of new tech.
No doubt the newer detectors are better separators compared to older machines in trashy sites. I still can’t believe some people think single frequency machines are better performers than multi units. There is way more benefits having multi. For the $$ you get more in one machine than having to own several.

I am one of those so called old timers, (next summer will be my 50th year of detecting), and I am happy to be able to use this newest technology. Of which, will be old technology at some point.

However, I am not to the point of calling my Nox 600 and its newest technology a game changer, just yet. Admittedly, I've only had the detector since June, of this year. Even though I do hunt 6 days a week, 4 hours average per outing, I am still having those ahhh, ahhh, moments on occasion. Most of the spots I hunt have been hit many more times then once with two CTX3030's, a Etrac and me and my beloved F 75, that I know about. And, the pickings are pretty slim. But, in my case, I am happy to have what the Nox has to offer all under the same hood, so to speak.

I will state, though, I have never had to send in a F 75 for any kind of repair and it has a grand compliment of coils sizes available. No problems with the Nox, either, but I am more careful with it then with my other detectors.

How important is this newest technology? For some, perhaps highly so. For others that may have a lot of time in with one detector of near equal depth of the Nox, maybe not so much. Floodplaindetector and his beloved Etrac are prime examples of this "maybe not so much."

Having the newest detector and technology simply may not be all that important to everyone, for whatever reasons. If one enjoys what he/she is swinging and having fun, that's what the hobby is all about. Well, a couple of new, fresh spots would be fun, too. HH jim tn

Having issues using my phone so I'll post a reply later

Last edited:
My 'beliefs' are pretty simple:

** There's no such thing as a perfect metal detector.

** There's no such thing as a perfect search coil, be it size, shape or type.

** No site is ever completely worked out, unless it is thoroughly covered in a true All Metal mode and everything, ferrous and non-ferrous, is completely removed.

** I make it a point to use new, modern detectors, somewhat older detectors, and some that others would consider very old, as long as they work well.. Some older detectors do things that moadern detectors don't. Can you use your modern detectors and preferred search coils and cleanly reject crimp on Bottle Caps and still get a good response on a US nickel? I can.

** For over 56 years I've enjoyed this great sport. It's great to work an old site sometimes just once when I happen across it, however I have several old sites I have been hunting since May of '69.

My all-time favorite ghost town, that I named 'Twin Flats', has produced enough old coins to fill four binders with carded 2X2's. One old site that's rewarded me with hundreds of old coins, with maybe 30 or more Seated Liberties for every Barber. 3 Shield Nickels for every 5 'V' nickels. A Flying Eagle, a Large Cent, 2- Cent & 3- Cent pieces, and a lot of very nice artifacts as well. 95% of all my rewards have come my way us I ng my favorite models from on f e brand, and there is still a lot to be found. It just takes time and effort, and working slowly and methodically.

** Do I use some modern, high tech detectors at times? Yes. But in the end, I simply use what works for the dense Iron Debtiis .

Monte

Modern milled high conductor coinage such as in the US is pretty easy found by old of modern detectors.
800+yr old very small low conductor coins in "iron laden" soil are a different story, and the onset of multi freq detectors running higher freqs is defo an advantage over older fixed low freq detectors.

Attachments

• 20190907_100414_zpsgnglnev0_edit_1567848913335-800x795.jpg
    20190907_100414_zpsgnglnev0_edit_1567848913335-800x795.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 202