Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What are your beliefs about metal detector? Old Tech VS New?

The Deus lower rod is a little bit shorter than the Simplex lower rod. The Simplex is also made of carbon fiber. And yes they do interchange in the shaft but it's a little bit different story at the coil It's about the same width and you could make it work but you'd have to put some kind of a sleeve inside the Simplex lower to make it work
Thank You.

All of us are different but I like Ronstar's philosophy. Like a lot of you I'm reaching 50 years detecting with over 60 detectors. I have never been " One" with any of them. I go out to have fun. It's not the end of the world if I don't find an old coin or a nice ole' relic. I simply don't give a rip. My priorities lie in other directions, I guess, other than detecting and believe me I still do a lot of detecting. It's simply a hobby to me but probably the best I've ever had. I'll even sit down in a field and watch cloud formations or birds or whatever and finally remember why I'm there in the first place. Since I lost my wife years ago not too many things seem important. I kind of wish they did.

All of us are different but I like Ronstar's philosophy. Like a lot of you I'm reaching 50 years detecting with over 60 detectors. I have never been " One" with any of them. I go out to have fun. It's not the end of the world if I don't find an old coin or a nice ole' relic. I simply don't give a rip. My priorities lie in other directions, I guess, other than detecting and believe me I still do a lot of detecting. It's simply a hobby to me but probably the best I've ever had. I'll even sit down in a field and watch cloud formations or birds or whatever and finally remember why I'm there in the first place. Since I lost my wife years ago not too many things seem important. I kind of wish they did.
Sorry bout your wife.
Tough without your better half.

Not only does new tech have advantages over old when hunting TODAY’S ENVIRONMENTS…it HAS to, coming from the perspective of an “old coin” hunter. “Back in the day” with all that 4” silver and beaches loaded with jewelry, about all that was needed was basic iron rejection and a signal. Any of the “old timers” who still hunt today have seen the downward spiral of our hunting conditions. More junk, more clad and less and less old coins every time we find one. The advent of FBS was a huge leap, probably the single biggest leap so far. Now having the EQX and D2 that incorporate better separation with speed, but still offer a certain degree of accuracy, at least allows hunters a chance at a decent return on their time without digging bushels of garbage. All of the places I hunt and people I know hunt are trash laden picked over places. A 70’s machine cannot compete with the machines of today, much like a car of the 70’s cannot compete with the overall advances of todays cars. I’m not talking about a drag race, I’m talking about mileage, pollution control, overall reliability, etc. The REASON why I still find 100+/- silver coins per season is because the machines of yesterday did/could not. I’d be willing to put this to the test but I don’t have any horrible old dinosaurs laying around to test against the CTX. But I really don’t need to put it up against an old TR or something. The results simply speak for themselves….todays machines ALLOW us to continue being successful at our chosen discipline of hunting.

Now that was one heck of a peeing contest! I guess some like to post to make others mad. "Game changer" to me is like "bombshell" to the media, HYPE! What if the coin is 12 or 14 inches? Does that mean everyone should use a PI machine?
Will the old tech keep up with the new? Will most detectors find 90 percent of what other detectors will find? How do you know? Metal Detecting Philosophies we all have them! How did you arrive at yours???
Leading questions begging for argument. Of course BFO's have been left behind. 90%? How can anyone know?

Why anyone would want a single freq machine these days baffles me.have
Translation: If you don't use SMF you must be stupid. I can't imagine! You know it could be because they like what they have or maybe they can't afford the one you christen.
Like I said...🤡 ... you are still doing the same thing you were doing four years ago. Trolling me..... I made a video about people like you today...
Assuming you know what other people are like. Name calling and accusing to back up argument. (Shut up, he explained!)
If I was a camper I would be over on the tent forum going on about what the best tent is for the hardcore camper..
If you already know what is best, why do you try to get others to argue with you? Why do you think your opinion is better than everyone else's? Ones who agree with you are coddled, ones that don't are to be pitied and vilified because they are not as enlightened as you are.
I haven't seen this much conflict since you quit the forum. I know it is your style but talking down to anyone helps no one. Please give it a break. I like your videos but can decide for myself what I take from them.

I have read the whole thread up to here, no one has changed their mind, it has devolved into petty statements and accusations. I believe the forum should be for helping others with what they have, not demanding everyone acknowledge that yous is best.

I am not sure why the moderators haven't closed this thread.

I don't disagree with your thoughts. I think it is clear that the newer technology metal detectors offer a significant performance leap over the old technology machines. I also think that the newer machines (in general) offer numerous other benefits as well - ergonomics. light weight, useful features, etc..

However..

To the extent that faith/trust [in your machine] plays a role; I have no difficulty believing a proficient hunter (someone who is one with his/her machine) can have more success with their old technology machine (that they know and trust) than they would have with a new technology machine. Not every machine is a fit for every user - sometimes the most capable machine isn't the machine that gives some hunters the most performance.

I know [personal experience] that hunting with a top-performing machine that I just don't gel with - isn't much fun, or very rewarding as far as finds go.

I do try to buy/use machines that I believe offer a performance advantage - but I find it far more important to own/use machines that speak a language that I instinctually understand. For me, metal detecting is something I do for enjoyment; so owning/using machines that I enjoy using is an absolute must. Otherwise the hobby could become a task that I don't really want to engage in.

I suspect I approach metal detecting from a standpoint that is different (from yours). I know I miss good targets, but that doesn't concern me since I hunt the same areas over and over (different directions, different coils, different machines, etc..). I enjoy metal detecting for the "unknown" factor - who lost it, what was their life like, etc.. Questions that likely won't be answered in most cases. For me it isn't so much about the targets found - as it is the questions (in my mind) about the circumstances involving said target.

I am very much looking forward to your thoughts on the Deus II and the new smf machine from NM. If the NM machine performs as well as I hope - I'll buy one. I doubt that I'll buy the Deus II though as I'm not a water hunter so it doesn't seem as though it offers enough benefit (for my kind of hunting) to justify the cost.
A little old subject, but that's a well written article, wish I could write like that lol

The above is very well written and accurate.I don't own a single modern tech detector and I do great.The newest tech models I use are a Minelab sovereign and a Garrett Seahunter Mk2 lol,my two land machines are very simple machines that have their roots in the eighties.The advantages of more Modern machines are they are a lot lighter and when I get to an age where I find it difficult to swing my heavier gear I may have to get a newer tech model.

I’ve been detecting for 40 years so grew up with all the changes in technology in detecting. Have had many many detectors of all brands except the XP deus.
I still prefer a detector that can run as analog as is possible considering all detectors now have some sort of processor in them.
When I learned to really master the challenge of true relic hunting you did it by trusting your ears not a meter..not a processor etc. the meter was a secondary component albeit very useful but…nothing was as true in target ID as your ears. If you ran your detector with zero to little disc, assuming it had at least two tones, then I could gather more from audio than the meter could. Hence I stilll love analog multi tone machines. My favorite was the Tesoro golden umax. Very underrated but an awesome little machine. If there was ever a similar machine but with the modern depth and target separation it would be my main machine. I wish someone would go that route.
Anyway I find the more they enhance the machine processing every aspect of the audio and I’d meaning what you hear and don’t, the less I like the machine.
Not many people detecting today ever ran a purely analog machine especially one with mixed mode like say a Naughty DMC IIB. There is the pure essence of detecting and if operated by a person who knew how to run it…well it’s still one of the best relic machines going.
Problem is though these older machines were heavy very heavy and that’s a huge issue as I am staring at 60 years old.
I get the love for fancy new processor heavy machines but sorry…I can run circles around them with a good analog or hybrid analog detector. I don’t fart around in menus and sub menus. I go by sound…a meter is just a fancy thing to look at.
They could make a processor driven machine that had a good analog type operation as an option but they won’t. And like my experience with Makro Legend….just an endless series of updates fixing dumb programming issues like a bad Windows patch. It’s endLess.
So give me a modern juiced up golden umax or a naulilus dmciib in a small format…man I’m all set. Keep your Apple Watch…..keep your IPhone 18 and over priced Minelab…give me a Teknetics Mark I the size of say a Teknetics T2 with the same performance and it detector orgasm for me

I owned two DMC 11B's.........absolute awesome machine and unbeatable in the right hands....I really miss the Nauti.

Reactions: PDH
I believe there’s room for both new SMF and older technology. I am learning the Nokta Legend now. It has lots of options for audio . No matter what it needs to have good audio that I mesh with. My old tech detector isn’t a single frequency detector. It is a CZ 70 pro which is Dual frequency. It also has very good audio that is etched into my brain. It has excellent depth….. 8”-10”deep good targets regularly. It’s only drawback is it’s weight. 3.4lbs . It has made me ambidextrous now …… my way of getting a full day of detecting. I still try new technology detectors just to see what is there to make my good finds even better. You have to know what the adjustments do and how to apply them. Don’t be afraid to change settings. You can always do a factory reset on all the new technology detectors. My thoughts HH Tony

I don't disagree with your thoughts. I think it is clear that the newer technology metal detectors offer a significant performance leap over the old technology machines. I also think that the newer machines (in general) offer numerous other benefits as well - ergonomics. light weight, useful features, etc..

However..

To the extent that faith/trust [in your machine] plays a role; I have no difficulty believing a proficient hunter (someone who is one with his/her machine) can have more success with their old technology machine (that they know and trust) than they would have with a new technology machine. Not every machine is a fit for every user - sometimes the most capable machine isn't the machine that gives some hunters the most performance.

I know [personal experience] that hunting with a top-performing machine that I just don't gel with - isn't much fun, or very rewarding as far as finds go.

I do try to buy/use machines that I believe offer a performance advantage - but I find it far more important to own/use machines that speak a language that I instinctually understand. For me, metal detecting is something I do for enjoyment; so owning/using machines that I enjoy using is an absolute must. Otherwise the hobby could become a task that I don't really want to engage in.

I suspect I approach metal detecting from a standpoint that is different (from yours). I know I miss good targets, but that doesn't concern me since I hunt the same areas over and over (different directions, different coils, different machines, etc..). I enjoy metal detecting for the "unknown" factor - who lost it, what was their life like, etc.. Questions that likely won't be answered in most cases. For me it isn't so much about the targets found - as it is the questions (in my mind) about the circumstances involving said target.

I am very much looking forward to your thoughts on the Deus II and the new smf machine from NM. If the NM machine performs as well as I hope - I'll buy one. I doubt that I'll buy the Deus II though as I'm not a water hunter so it doesn't seem as though it offers enough benefit (for my kind of hunting) to justify the cost.
Pretty much the same way, thats why the Legend at $600 abouts if it can do 90% of the the others at $1000 or even $1800, which apparently it does, than thats good enough gor me. I never run out of stuff to find and I prefer to dig about everything so price to features its hard to beat

Tried to hunt a bar that was built along a stream on the County Line. Mostly A Biker bar , outdoor tables, horse shoes nice Grove of trees. Bar been closed for a couple years. Anyway this was little over 20years ago. Had a Very old Garrett. Grounds were wall to wall, ankle deep in beer caps, pull taps. There was a club and others that tried it too.Just had to have silver coins mixed in there. Everyone knew about that bar but no one ever claimed any success. (Of course). Still rates as my #1 Mission Impossible. I didn't have much experience nor the right cannon then. Seems just the place for the best of these new machines. Gonna have to take a ride out and see what's left of that site.

The only big advantage is the new detectors go much deeper. Target separation is better , but still can get fooled by iron and trash. Target ID is a lot fancier (with the numbers) but still inherently just as "inaccurate".
When you boil down to it, in order NOT to miss anything good (like gold) or not get fooled by deep iron, you still need to dig ALL; so basically it's still a beep/dig WORLD out there for the serious digger. So, bottom line, the big deal with the new machines is the improved depth capability but again, for older folks , do you really want to dig THAT deep?

The only big advantage is the new detectors go much deeper. Target separation is better , but still can get fooled by iron and trash. Target ID is a lot fancier (with the numbers) but still inherently just as "inaccurate".
When you boil down to it, in order NOT to miss anything good (like gold) or not get fooled by deep iron, you still need to dig ALL; so basically it's still a beep/dig WORLD out there for the serious digger. So, bottom line, the big deal with the new machines is the improved depth capability but again, for older folks , do you really want to dig THAT deep?
Your the “ONE” lol.
There is actually someone who sees everything exactly like i do in this modern world of detecting.
And everyone said i need to get with the times, that target id is the holy grail, you never dig everything and when you do its to China lol

You should challenge the folks saying you need to get with the times and target ID is the holy grail by burying a load of different targets......coins at different angles,targets mixed with trash,partially masked targets etc etc and see how many they can identify with their latest high tech wonder.Make sure you have a chair handy though or you might fall down on the floor laughing.🤣🤣

You should challenge the folks saying you need to get with the times and target ID is the holy grail by burying a load of different targets......coins at different angles,targets mixed with trash,partially masked targets etc etc and see how many they can identify with their latest high tech wonder.Make sure you have a chair handy though or you might fall down on the floor laughing.🤣🤣
I like the youtube videos where they call every target. Probably rattle off every target name and edit in the one that works 😂

I like the youtube videos where they call every target. Probably rattle off every target name and edit in the one that works 😂
I've asked people in the past to tell me what target is in the ground and I've yet to see anyone get anything right to any great degree........it's farcical at times.🤣🤣
If it keeps people happy to keep acquiring the latest most accurate target ID machine that's OK,it's good to see happy folk.😁