Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What are your best methodes to avoid deeper aluminium cans with the Equinox?

Unfortunately it’s one of these pesky items while metal detecting we have to dig. Just think if it’s a cache, a large desirable relic, a silver dollar etc. and you decide not to dig..... Personally, I am going to unearth the item. If it’s a can, then it’s one less piece of garbage in the ground.

Barring item not being a deeper brick of silver or a cache or perhaps a silver dollar. Does depth meter when target is swept, does pinpoint behavior align? Too strong pinpoint with fewer arrows showing on depth meter good chance of bigger target.

Last edited:
dont skip them. Every one could be a silver dollar or half. If you are hunting some place with targets that large, then it hasnt had any serious detecting pressure.

In my dirt, really deep aluminum cans 6” deep or more give numbers from 24 to 30 or so and usually just give one or two depth arrows. Like Uncle Tom, The first thing I do if it is a big sounding signal is raise my coil while using small sweeps to see how long the signal lasts as I raise the coil. If the beeps only last for 2 or 3 “ like a copper penny, dime or quarter should I pinpoint and dig. If it stays strong to 6” or so and pinpointing shows a really big target outline (much bigger than any coin) I will probably move on. If I do get fooled and decide to dig I use an ice pick type probe first. If I don’t feel a shallow target I will definitely move on. I have dug way to many cans which is no fun since we have to coin pop in my area..... no shovels allowed. Audio and numerical target idea responses are based on quarter sized coin targets, so big stuff won’t have much audio modulation.

Jeff

I know this is in regard to the Equinox specifically, but this is why hunting some terrible area that nobody else would want to hunt might not be a bad idea. The entire video I am in shock, I am not normally anywhere near this animated. This entire area is littered with squashed cans and demo derby car parts. Simply using the coil lift test and listening to the response duration, the pain continued...until this. Strong language within, beware!!

Those aluminum cans are a pain but on one of my beach hunts "the can" turned out to be a nice silver bracelet. You just never know!

In beach hunting, you come across a lot of aluminum cans down 18"+ and hitting hard. Best on beach is to raise coil, as said previously. If I have dug a ft down already and still can raise my coil more than about 8" and often 12" or more and still have a strong signal I move on. Those that I have dug and reached, have always turned-out to be aluminum cans or the like...junk. There is always a trade-off between time digging and expected results. But you really truly never know unless you dig it...could be pirate treasure...