Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What can I do with a V3i/VX3?

Daugela

I've had my VX3 for almost a year and feel pretty comfortable with it. However, like the V3i, it has lots of settings to tweak for the applicable hunting location. When though, does a hunter needs so many options?

I mean that with honesty.

For example, I live in AZ and rarely, if ever, leave my general area to detect. Have I brought my detector with me out of state for vacation? Yes, but only once.

So 95% of the time, I hunt near my home which is parks and possibly older home sites that are still standing. We have HIGH mineralization here.

When would I need to tweak my machine if for example it's already tweaked as good as it's going to get for my area. Sure, I may change the frequency for EMI, but other than that?......

My point is, it seems this machine is so capable of any location, it would be best served for a hunter who plans to travel and hunt different locations that need constant tweaking. Does that make sense? Why would I need such a complex machine if once the machine is seet for my area, I won't be playing with the settings any longer?

I only ask this, because I'm in the process of trading with someone for a "less machine" that may suite me better. I'm not sure if this machine is 'overkill' for my needs. When is a machine like this "needed?"

thanks

Your machine is capable of being set at maximum performance .Where as others may not have that ability. You will always be getting max results in your location with your machine.

Who cares really what it can or can't do say in New York.. If your not going to New York then you should only care what it does for you [size=large]".Operates at top maximum performance"[/size] in your backyard so too speak !!

Where it counts the most !!!...........:laugh: plus if given the opportunity you can take it with you to new areas and get the same results with some tweaks.. Not all machines can be so versatile.

I understand your statement. However unless you felt you spent too much or have difficulty correlating the meaning and functions of the settings why change? In your situation I would try to borrow another detector that you are considering. Go out and hunt to compare, take both units. Or hunt with someone who has the model you are considering and cross check signals / swap detectors. The flexibility to adjust the V3i for different detecting locations and types of hunting does set it apart. The target ID resolution is best in the industry. I will be honest in my opinion that to be getting the maximum performance from the V for any new location it would take time setting it up, testing and then maybe comparing it to other top units in the same environment. Instead I do lean toward "optimal or matched" performance, even "balanced performance" rather than "maximum" in terms of describing the V. We get too caught up in trying to have "the best" and probably no one land detector is the best at all locations. Witness comments when the topic turns to DIV and the nasty red clay. I never got the chance to try my V there but I did hunt with my old DFX in that soil (not a DIV sanctioned event) and can say it suffered really bad to get any depth on small targets. The V would be more adjustable than many in that soil but it may not give maximum performance - the PI's hit the deepest there overall.
For myself the biggest drawback with the V is the time I take setting up in a new area while my buddies are digging targets. I'm referring to sinking a dime sized coin target into the earth about 6 - 7" and trying filters and groundbalancing. Any place I've been before I don't need to start from [] one :detecting:
Sorry I'm long winded, but the V3i and getting the most out of it is a subject I'm still learning after almost 2 years with it. I like to watch these discussions.
HH-Bruce

It never gets better I have found.. You never feel confident in your machine, or the settings you come up with. If that is the case "By ALL MEANS" sell it..trade it what ever it takes
Move on till you find what you like and enjoy........

When would I need to tweak my machine if for example it's already tweaked as good as it's going to get for my area.

The simple answer is that another machine might not be able to be optimized for your area.

I just got back with my RV. I hunted a strip of a park where we have found silver and Indians. One section was full of square nails and another area was fairly clean. I needed different settings in the same location.