Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

what coil for the beach sovereign XS

dfg4240

Just thinking and wondering if I come across a good buy for a coil for beach hunting.
Not in the water completely but a fresh water beach.
No hurry as I don't even know what I am doing except learning the detector.
David

Sea search coil was what they sold in the day... I'm sure there are others that can be used.

Coil size is determined by a few things. How much ground do you want to cover? A large area requires a larger coil. There is really no wrong answer. Personally I think the Ultimate 13 is a great coil. There seems to be quite s few to select from now with Cors and a few others producing them. Sort of ironic since the detector is no longer made and there are more choices than ever. For dirt hunting a smaller coil like an 8 inch works well. Going with a smaller coil really helps with the slower recovery of the Sovereign.

I use the Ultimate 13 inch which is a great coil. Another choice is the SEF 10x12. After using both of these I would pick the SEF 10x12 more stable and hits very hard on deep dimes. Some people complain the 13 inch Ultimate could be more stable on salt water beaches. HH Ron

Yes to the 13 being more stable in saltwater...great open beach coil. I like the stock coils, 10 inch and the 7.25 (800) coils..water and dirt..fresh drop beach's the bigger coils. River hunting the smaller stock 7.25 (800) coil.

I used the 13 as well......... great for dry sand, but i feel the standard coil starts getting equal once you hit the wet sand with most large coils which you have to turn down the sensitivity on in the salt water.

Ok I think I will look for the SEF 10x12
Thanks for all the replies.

I think you will find the SEF is heavier than the 13. I missed the part about you wanting it for FRESH water hunting..... most of the large coils should do well unless you have a clay bottom...... id still go with the 13 because those talking about the 13 being unstable may have been salt water hunters.

There is a big following for the WOT coil. I never used this coil even though I've picked these up on a flip and sold these before using in the field. Not sure what the current status of this coil is among users
. Haven't heard much chatter about this coil lately. Hopefully users of the WOT will chime in with information on performance. Thanks Ron

Still have not decided about a second coil for the beach but leaning now towards the WOT.
I have time and have not used the Sovereign that much.I NOW HAVE A TOTAL OF FOUR DETECTORS AND THINKING OF REDUCING DOWN TO TWO.
THE Sovereign I will not sell.Finding one like the one I have is rare. I clearly don't understand the beeps yet but it finds everything. So I just dig but I also have three others.
David
The advice is great!
Thanks

The 14x10" Detech Excelerator is my favourite on the beach. It covers a lot of ground, is solid, light, and elliptical makes it easy to poke down on those deep digs.