Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What coil should i ........

GroundScanner

.....use for a nail infested home sight. House is late 1700's . I am using wide open screen with all low tones on no tone sound , from -95 to -20 .

If the ground is nail infested, use the smallest coil that you have and hunt slow.

Read this and as Larry said go slow. Also reduce you recovery delay.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?66,1875710
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?66,1880823,1881840#msg-1881840
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?66,1850554,page=1
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?66,1851422

Ok , so i have the 5'3 coil and i have a penny 3 inches in ground and wont sound off and i am in stock C&J , only think i did was change to have nothing disc'd out. I have high mineralization soil and thats why i asked about the coil because i tried the 5'3 and not good in trash . { mine any ways }.

GroundScanner said:
Ok , so i have the 5'3 coil and i have a penny 3 inches in ground and wont sound off and i am in stock C&J , only think i did was change to have nothing disc'd out. I have high mineralization soil and thats why i asked about the coil because i tried the 5'3 and not good in trash . { mine any ways }.

My 5.3 is really good in trashy yards. But for really bad areas you need a 4x6. I dont know what you are doing wrong but the v3i will find a penny at 5-7 inches with nails in the hole and lock on pretty solid even with the 5.3. You either have a bad coil or you have serious EMI. Try using mixed mode and then see what you get for depth.

Could have a bad coil or not getting a good ground balance. How does the 5.3 do in air testing? Is it V rated? You should be getting at least 6-7 inches and if so, your coil is probably good. I would guess a bad GB is involved so GB in a clean spot and lock the tracking.

First did you do the test to confirm the coil is good?
What is the air test on a penny?
Let us know the results.

Hi Rob , yes i did do the test and with RX at 15 and coil in air and did not overload. I am getting 10 inches on penny @ 15 RX in air test and 6 inches on RX default setting .

GroundScanner said:
Hi Rob , yes i did do the test and with RX at 15 and coil in air and did not overload. I am getting 10 inches on penny @ 15 RX in air test and 6 inches on RX default setting .
This all indicates a good coil.

Try to find the 3" penny with another coil. I'm assuming the 3" penny as no other minute targets near it. Even a tiny staple above will mask it. If another coil will get it this is not the case.

To answer your initial question the only other small coil Whites offers is a 4x6.

Questions like this are easy to answer when in person like when we gave a seminar. Some times we miss something that is happening when second hand over the internet.

Did you not read his post? He said he has highly mineralized soil. If he has the hell soil that I do 2-3 inches is more than enough to hide a coin from a 5" coil. Good luck there is no VLF answer for bad soil! Only PI and that won't work in junk! I search this site every few months, looking for an answer. There isn't one! Even with the most customizable detector the v3i, same old carp that I got on the minelab forums, "The machine works great in the mineralize soil in Nebraska. You should get at least 7-10"!" LOL!!!! Not in my soil!

Howdy GroundScanner--

That sounds like some of the sites that I hunt. Have you tried the "High Trash" program? That might be a good starting program for that site with your 5.3 coil. Also, sometimes reducing the RX Gain and AC Sens helps. At some similar sites, I roll out my 3' magnet, push that around for a half hour or so and clean the area and THEN hunt it. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Yes yanchappell, I did read his post. My soil is bad and I will get a 3" nail. Who said you know what his soil is like, how bad it is. He didn't say he was from Culpepper. You aren't there and neither am I. We are trying to help. It doesn't look like you own a V3i. What about the dirt below?

Red Dirt Culpepper VA

I took the V3i to some of the hottest red dirt in the United States.....Culpepper, VA. This was for Civil War relics.
In your Audio menu put it in All Metal Mode and then increase your All Metal sensitivity. Now you basically run it like any other machine...run it as hot as you can without it falsing. The next big setting change is run SINGLE FREQUENCY. In my particular case I found the 7.5 kHz to work best. Run Manual GB and update it when the detector starts getting false signals. I found by putting the recovery delay at 40 that it made the recovery time much like a F75...REAL fast. And it gave distinct and fast double blips on nails. I actually dug my deepest relics ever with the V3i in red soil...dug Minie balls breaking into the 15" mark with the stock D2 coil and above settings.

Rob (IL) said:
Yes yanchappell, I did read his post. My soil is bad and I will get a 3" nail. Who said you know what his soil is like, how bad it is. He didn't say he was from Culpepper. You aren't there and neither am I. We are trying to help. It doesn't look like you own a V3i. What about the dirt below?

Red Dirt Culpepper VA

I took the V3i to some of the hottest red dirt in the United States.....Culpepper, VA. This was for Civil War relics.
In your Audio menu put it in All Metal Mode and then increase your All Metal sensitivity. Now you basically run it like any other machine...run it as hot as you can without it falsing. The next big setting change is run SINGLE FREQUENCY. In my particular case I found the 7.5 kHz to work best. Run Manual GB and update it when the detector starts getting false signals. I found by putting the recovery delay at 40 that it made the recovery time much like a F75...REAL fast. And it gave distinct and fast double blips on nails. I actually dug my deepest relics ever with the V3i in red soil...dug Minie balls breaking into the 15" mark with the stock D2 coil and above settings.

Pretty cool settings in that last part! Single freq, makes since. So you lose discrimination, just like you would with a GPX, pretty cool. The first part didn't make sense. I consider my ground in Birmingham worse that Cullpepper, but it is probably about the same. The iron deposits run through western VA into Tennessee through Chattanooga and Birmingham stopping at the fall line just southwest of Birmingham, where I am. Iron ore has been mined here since the mid 1800s, and the areas in town that I detect were paved using iron slag. Just running a magnet through even black soil, in areas without slag waste, little black pebbles stick to it. The town is on the slopes of an major iron deposit called Red Mountain. In cullpepper they say that the problem is the underlying bedrock that is iron ore. Here it is thoroughly infused into the soil.

Good stuff! It would be worth it to me to get a V3i just to use as an instrument to measure the soil! To prove how bad it really is.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?66,1876973

We are off track now. If anyone wants to discuss anything but what coil to use start a new post.

Your not going to find much in that kind of settings with that 5-3 coil.....Get the 4x6 for sniping and the 6x10 for wide areas.....they are both top notch coils for this machine..I do not use anything else...the stock coils with White's machines are not much.....except maybe the beach.....then again I use the 4x6 and the 6-10at the beach too.
The 4x6 on gold settings is a killer........!! Good Luck:clapping:

I agree with you Mortamus - either the 4X6 or 6X10 coil is on my detector 95% of the time. The 4X6 coil would be the ideal coil for GroundScanners site. Heck, I've even put a few Seateds and good relics in my pouch using the 4X6 at my hard-hit relic site. It's a great little coil! Best of luck to you and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel