Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What do you carry in your possibles bag?

Ronstar

Just a thought to get all our minds off other things. New detector came with extras supposed to enhance my experience. Kinda got me thinking about what we all carry in the finds pouch or fanny pack or other conveyance.
I have a fanny pack carried forward. Salvaged an old leather two pocket coin purse for normal money in the big pocket and rings or other higher end finds in the smaller pocket. Carry plastic pill bottle with cotton balls for special finds like gold rings or good silver coins/rings (little visible wear). I have a small led flashlight and small magnifying lens in big pouch and extra batteries and needed tools for detector in smaller pouch. Pinpointer in holster on pack belt. Small thermometer on zipper pull.
Now one thing I just never figured out until recently was a junk carrier. I used to use back pocket on jeans but dirt filled up quick. I was at the paint store and saw the hand held paint cup they use for smaller jobs and the light went off. It has a magnet on one side to hold paintbrush and a handle to hold it and it dumps easy in the garbage can. Easy to set down and light weight.
Trowel still goes in other back pocket and not sure if it will fit in this new pouch’s carrier loop.
I havent made wheelbarrow status but trying.

My possibles bag always contained. Bullets, powder, primers, patches. Oh you were talking about metal detecting. I dont carry a possibles bag detecting. I carry my machine, finds bag, digging tool, pin pointer. i keep a few items in the vehicle but i dont like carrying a bunch of stuff that i "Might" need. At the beach i do carry a larger mesh bag for trash and cans.

Not even sure how this posted twice......? Fanny pack has items I could possibly need in the field right then right there. I have an old plastic tackle box with mini picks, sandwich bags, a knife, 0000 steel wool, stuff I could use once back to truck. Also have old backpack which has knee pads, second coil, and four mini cones (to set perimeters if needed), second trowel, small plastic sheet, small surveyor flags, etc. It stays at truck too. I was mainly curious what others have at their disposal when out.

For old coin hunting, I still use the double pocket nail apron. Clad and non wheat cents go in its left pocket along with trash. In the right pocket I carry a pill bottle filled with water and silver and jewelry go in it. Wheats, I H's and old nickels go loose in the right pocket also. A decent size single blade knife goes in one pocket of my cargo pants and my cell phone in the other pocket. Pin pointer and holster go on a belt for around my waist. Digging tool is carried in my left hand. My vehicle is never to far away and have a bag in it with additional diggers, batteries, head phones, sharpening tools and spare plastic bolts and nuts for coils and rods. I go to the field pretty light. Two of my hunting buddies look like they are part of a Swat team. LOL HH jim tn

I have a small led light on the Garrett pinpointer but its often not enough, thus the small but efficient single AAA minimag light is kn board. The extra light has helped numerous times. Small magnifying glass also a saver as eyes not 18 anymore. Altho truck is relatively close I hate to walk all that way for a battery change. Check out Storacell products, inexpensive but keep the batteries protected and handy. Never thought about a knife, have a couple cheapies that could be useful. Not SWAT ready but self sufficient, thanks for the thoughts....

I will carry extra batteries when I know a change is about due. The knife I carry is a few years ago find and is quite thin, single folding blade with a serrated tip. I use a Wilcox small digging tool which can handle but the thinnest of roots, so the knife comes in handy for small root cutting on occasion....and looks a bit more threatening then the small digger if protection might ever be needed. I do have a magnifying glass in my car ditty bag, but don't spend much time afield checking dates and mint marks. HH jim tn

I’m a wanderer and Ive been a member of a search and rescue team for many years, the Adirondacks are my back yard. I’m always prepared for a night in the woods...just in case. My search team has never been called for a lost detectorist but you’d be surprised how many searches have been activated for someone taking a short walk somewhere.
Knife, lighter, extra batteries, flashlight, dollar store thermal blanket, a snack, water, plastic bag (with stuff I want to keep clean like bandaids and TP). All light things that can make a huge difference. And of course my trusty garmin gps to mark finds and track myself. (Believe it or not, I lost a ramrod deep in the woods hunting (not detecting) once and followed my breadcrumbs back 45 minutes and found it!) the Garrett carrot, my digger, and machine. It’s a great feeling being confident out there. Be safe, have fun!

Hello Michelle! Thin orange line!!!!!! I’ve been with SAR just over 20 yrs now, know exactly what your saying. I dont necessarily carry heavy in town or close to town but my grab bag goes if I head further out. A lot of callouts are exactly that, a short walk and mighty hungry by daybreak. We teach the kids the “4 stays”, stay warm, stay dry, stay calm, and stay put. We added a fifth here, and if you cant do any of this stay the hell out of the woods!!!

Great lessons for the kids! AND many adults! Every spring we train groups of new recruits and I never fail to be amazed that one or 2 people show up wearing shorts or flip flops on the first day knowing they will be in the woods all day. Those are the folks that typically don’t come back for training day 2. Then on the other end of the spectrum we get new people that show up in the spring with cramp ons and machetes, loaded down with a month of MRE”s and flares! Lol. It’s great to meet another SAR member from another state. Thanks for reaching out.

I carry least as possible.. .. . I'm after old coinage. I have a wide leather belt with a side canvas carpenters bag where all the junk goes. Nothing in front of me, that space is reserved for my belly. I carry the hand digger in the pouch. My pin-pointer is sheathed on my belt, behind my back. Some detectors especially the f-75 would sound off to the Garrett PP when carried in the coils line of sight. Good finds go in my left front pants pocket.
I drag a T handled shovel and switch arms when needed. I don't wear knee pads any more, not even one. I don't bring any cleaning spray or cleaning tools. .. I'll give it a spit just to ID the coin, other than that, it gets washed when I get home.

I’ve been wearing a Carhardt tool apron recently, four pouches on front and two tool loops. The Garrett Propointer holster easily attaches thru the one loop. Getting other loop sewn a bit tighter to hold trowel. This is comfortable to wear and touch as nails......