Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What do you guys do the "Off Season"

TeenDetector97

I just started detecting and I am in love. lol However, it is quickly getting freezing here in New York, and soon the ground will be frozen. What do you guys do to pass a whole season?! I will certainly be looking for places to dig, and looking up the history of my town!

Well, we hang out here and see the digs coming in from the Southerners, we talk about gear, and strategize methods and tactics, we look at new product, youtube footage, Some Northerners hunt right on through, if you have a sledding hill in your town, you will clean up! Sometimes after a snow, if the ground is not frozen underneath, you can hunt a park right through the snow and still get all sorts of stuff down in the dirt!...later in the Winter when the ground and totlots are good and froze, you have to hunt sledding hills or even the snowpiles at the edges of parking lots, where the snow plow pushed up stuff...some guys go pretty crazy and toss out a handful of clad on the living room floor and try to find it in the dark...some people research, and set their goal for the coming year whatever it might be...You start to read all the forums and find the ones that are winter hunting and sort of tag along and learn from them, no matter what brand they are using, its still very helpful....you can hunt frozen ground, you just cant dig, but you CAN sort of check out places and then come back to the targets when it thaws...lots to do to keep occupied!
Mud

Later in December my wife and I go back home to the Philippines. No winter their. A million miles of beaches that no one hunts. Stays warm all the time... KEN

and my best source is Old Newspapers online... I look for outside activities that were posted.. Carnivals, Circus areas, church revivals , and to my surprise I........
.........found former fairgrounds location prior to where fair is now..

any article that had an outside activity interests me. If land still open I hunt it..

No off-season where I'm at :) Here on the central coast of CA, we might get snow once every 30 yrs, which melts 5 minutes after touching the ground. And even if it's raining, that just means that the winter storms are upon us, and we suit up with rain gear, and head to the beach looking for mother nature's erosion.

I don't know how you guys survive in the snow belt states/zones! You must have as much as 3 or 4 months at a time with zero detecting at all, eh?

Here in PA, sometimes the ground in the woods doesn't freeze like the open fields. I think the composting leaves works against the cold. If the leaf layer freezes, there becomes an air space between the leaf layer and the ground. When you walk there, the leaf layer caves under your feet....pain in the but to walk on, but digable.

If I can't detect, I go a little batty, or, I'll make a trip to Jersey shore.

I will definitely be saving my pennies this summer or a Garrett Ace 250...or a 150, depending on the money issue. lol

I do more hunting Fall, Winter and Spring. If it's 40 and Sunny I'll be digging. I don't get much hunting done in the Summer.

Thankfully I don't have an Off Season. I am able to hunt year round. There are days that I make the choice due to the temps/wind that I do not want to venture out but they are rare. Just another of those things that I love about the South.

Once college is over, I plan on moving with to the NC/ Georgia area. Then i should be set all year round.:biggrin:

Go over equipment, clean, check coils. Hunt days i can. Fly fish for trout.

Shovel snow,:sadwalk:

cadman_us said:
Get surgery.....

About to have a torn meniscus repaired.....lol

Had to get surgery on my Shoulder once (I start Wide Receiver for the school, got tangled with a guy, shoulder popped) I was sore for what seemed like months

Go hiking, read, metal detect whenever I so chose. Doesn't really snow or freeze in this part of CA.

Here in Arkansas Summer is my off season. Then I just try and hang out in the AC as much as possible. :) About May thru August is miserable and the ground is dry and hard as a rock.