Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What does the "factory upgrade" for the VX3 do?

SteveP(NH)

My VX3's audio was intermittantly cutting out completely (on both speaker and headphones) and so I sent it in for repair. When I talked to them and found out what they had done and when they were shipping it back to me, I was told that they replaced the audio daughter board and did a factory upgrade to it.

I have searched on the web but can't find out what the factory upgrade does. This is an early VX3 as it was first sold in January 2012 and then I bought it second hand in June. I assume that the factory upgrade is a firmware update and that it probably just fixes a few bugs and perhaps tweaks some internal settings but doesn't anyone know for sure what it does?

That is a new one for me, I haven't heard of an upgrade for the VX3.

Im thinkin "Factory Reset" not "Factory Upgrade" .... wildherre

The technician I spoke with definitely said "factory upgrade" and I repeated it to him and he confirmed that is what he said. I wish I had thought to ask what it did when I had him on the phone. Maybe he meant factory reset but I don't think he would have mentioned something so trivial when he was listing the work he did on the machine to fix it, but who knows.

Maybe there will be a written summary of the work done in the box with the machine. It was all warranty work so didn't cost me anything except for the shipping there. It was shipped out of White's yesterday so I should get it next week sometime. I didn't get a tracking # so don't know when it will show up for sure.

Yeah that makes sense,got kind of excited.was hoping that's they would make a color screen like the background to be black like the v3i can be,the back light on 1 is to bright to hunt at night,I loose my night vision when looking from screen to ground.

I had a Vx3 in Jan. of 2012 and it was 4 mos. old when I got it.....don't think what you have is an "early model". Interesting about the factory upgrade tho. Prob. just a reset or maybe you had a bad apple... The good thing is that you own a Whites product and it will be better than new when you get it back! Happy huntin' you have a nice detector for it.

Well once it is back I will see what if anything the paperwork says and more importantly when I have a chance to get it out I will see if I notice anything different in the menus or anything. I hope that the technician didn't just misspeak as I got sort of excited when I heard him say factory upgrade and as soon as I hung up the phone I started searching google to see if I could find out anything about it. Even sent my best hunting buddy (who hunts with a V3i) an email saying the VX3 was getting a factory upgrade. So is for sure what I heard.

After thinking about I think he meant to say that he flashed the bios with the normal VX3 software and just used factory upgrade as a catch all phrase to mean that.

If you talked to a Tech at Whites and he said there is an upgrade, I'd call Whites back and ask
to speak with another Tech and get another opinion.
Salida

Here is a scan of the service record with the personal details blacked out. It says update, I don't see why they would say update instead of reset as that would be misleading to most I think.

Well I'm lost, I guess I'll call again if there is one I must get it. Wonder what it could be? What service center did u send it too?

Call Centerville, not Whites. I still don't believe it is an upgrade. If it was it would be advertised and Mary would know. After the crap they took over the last upgrade it was pretty well understood there would be no more for the V3i. The VX3 is the same except for the user interface.

I agree I don't think it is an upgrade, it is an update. I think they may have found a couple of bugs (and maybe one can affect the audio) and perhaps optomized some of the internal settings and so they made a new bios (the software inside of the detector) and they updated that software to fix the software bugs.