Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What garrett detector should I use in the water?

hellgrammite123

hello everyone.

i was thinking of getting a detector that I could use in the ocean and in a lake. What would be a good detector for a good price? I know the Infinium and Sea Hunter are good detectors but also are high in price. Would either of the GTI's be good detectors to use? Also can either of the GTI's go under water? I have been researching them and looked in the manuals online and have not been able to find out. I figure that they would be good for fresh water, but what about salt water? I would like to have a detector that can get fully wet and still be able to work. I have an ace 250 but I like that for land and I know that salt water would most likely ruin it. Detecting on the beach would prob be ok. Please let me know about any of your ideas. Thanks and I appreciate it.

Matt

I believe the Infinium and Sea Hunter are the only two current water proof detectors Garrett makes. Interesting enough, they are both pulse induction ( PI ) machines meaning they will NOT discriminate out iron.

Many people prefer the Infinium LS to the Minelab Excal 2. The Infinium being PI, has a very different disc capibilty than the Sea Hunter. So, not only does the Infinium go deep, but also can Disc extremely well. Plus it is cheaper than the Excal 2. I use the Excal 2 for comparison, because it is one of the best there is in water detecting, if not the best. Also, be aware that buying a used LAND machine is different than buying a used WATER machine. Obviously there is a lot more of a chance to get messed up in the water.

Save your money and get a excal or a fisher cz20-21, I have the infinium, great machine but it's not for every beach. The excal can just about do any beach, the infinium is a great backup to the excal...or fisher cz20 or 21....where are you hunting....................state?..............this will make a difference....location

I have no experience with excal but it seems to be the allrounder machine. I love my Sea Hunter Mark II though. Trash free lake hunting with the MKII is a pleasure, trashy sites irritates the h*ll out of me :D
Sea hunter = cheap, durable, deep, yellow :D

If you are older and get tired fast get the excal. i have sea hunter, and i spend most of my time digging up iron. my friend has a infinium, and it is the same, digging iron all day long. i have hunted the same beach with a friend who had a excal, and at the end of the day i had 5 x's more trash. :rant: