Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What is difference between a regular 950 coil & a 950 Deepscan coil anybody?

I'm curious does anybody know? what's the difference? what make a deepscan coil that as opposed to a regular coil.

I'm sure one of the experts will be able to answer this for you definitely but it's my understanding that they are earlier and later models of the same coil. Unless I'm confused.....which is always a possibility.
HH
Scoyy

The 950 coil is a concentric coil and modern coils that are labled "wide scan" are a DD or SEF style. I think the older deep scan 950 is just a name change on the same coil, I might be wrong on that......it has been quite a few years..............:blink: This is "in part" of a post I just made on the XLT forum concerning the concentric vs. the modern "deep scan" type coils.

So much depends on the ground to determine if a DD or concentric coil works best. In my ground a concentric simply can not get the depth that a DD or SEF style coil can. I did a lot of the initial coil testing on the prototypes of the V3 and the D2 coils. Hundreds of hours went into comparing concentric, DD and SEF coils in the development of the D2 and which coil might be the best coil to issue as the "stock" coil on the V3. The DD style D2 and SEF coils won hands down in my testing. For almost every major manufacture to issue a "non-concentric" coil as stock may suggest that it is more than just a passing fad. I long used the 10" DD Excelerator coil as my "stock" coil on the DFX for many years, clearly getting more depth and quieter operation with the ground noise as well.

With the electronics technology hitting a brick wall on gaining more depth in the ground, the development of newer and better search coils is what is going to get us to new depths.

What coil works best for you is still a personal choice and that is why there are so many choices of coils for the average user.

I stand corrected.

A 950 would "scan more deeply" than an 8" or other smaller-sized "stock" coil that was common with most brands at the time.

Back 35-40 years ago, a "Double-D" or "DD" term was used to describe the physical appearance of the internal Tx and Rx windings of a "Wide-Scan" coil and Wide-Scan was a popular term to describe them compared to a few other configurations in use at the time. Through the years since, there have been some manufacturers who favored the term Wide-Scan (such as Tesoro) while others opted for the term Double-D. They are both the same thing.

Wide-Scan suggests a Double-D design. Deep-Scan simply is used to market a deeper-seeking coil for, perhaps, larger-sized targets. It shouldn't be confused with a Wide-Scan design. All the 950's have been essentially the same coil.

Monte

So what your saying then the coil on my QXT that says 950 deepscan is say no better than my 950 coil on my spectrum XLT ?

Same coil..........just different decals is all. Both are for 6.59Khz White's detectors. What works on the QXT will work for XLT, 6000 Pro XL,XL Pro, 5900 Di Pro SL almost all Classics, IDX, IDX Pro etc,etc.

:blink::look::huh:just a plain jane tell me it ain't so !! :thumbdown:

IN a word stock,plain,regular coil

Hey Davy, hows that plain old stock coil working for you on that QXT ? Pretty good ? Uh huh, mine too. ( I must confess I haven't used it a lot but I really liked what I saw )
HH
Scott

Hey srf2112 you got a Quantum? what model :clapping:

I picked up a QXT pro with the stock Black Max 950 coil on it a couple months ago. It is one of critterhunters old machines. Being so new to MD'ing ( 5-6 mo's ) I was a bit confused and frustrated at first but recently took it out with more knowledge and experience under my belt and man am I impressed. After starting to get used to the tones I'm really seeing why so many hunters love the multi-tone feature on their machines. I almost sold it but am VERY glad I didn't. It will be a long time until I can maximize it's effectiveness but learning means hunting and that's ALWAYS good. I had also been having trouble getting comfortable with the relic mode on my MXT but after a little time on the QXT everything is falling into place and the relic mode will be getting a lot of use when I'm healed and can start hunting again. Sorry, I know that's a lot more than you asked but once I get started talking about detecting......
HH
Scott