Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What is PC Mapping?

Bell-Two

Ok I guess I am a dummy but I don't know what this is, can someone elucidate for me?

I would hope it's a way to bring up a high res satellite image and show where your good finds came from? Also showing exactly where you have covered and in what direction. With the buttons on the panel of the 3030 it's just possible after finding say a Merc dime. You push a button and up comes a drop down menu. Scroll down to the Merc dime and hit enter. Then on your mapping you'll see a Merc dime in the exact location you found it. We can wish can't we?

I'm pretty sure it involves using google maps to plot out your finds, spots hunted, etc.

It sure would be nice to be able to "overlay" a detailed map or aerial photo onto the screen similar to Garmin's handheld GPS's.

As a computer programmer with over 30 years experience, I would guess that "pc mapping" will record a gps point when you tell it to, like after you found something. You would then dump the "pc mapping" log to your computer at home where you can merge the data with maps, record notes about what your found, etc.

I would think the processor inside the ctx will be to busy doing its thing to display maps and such like other users have posted. Besides the size of the screen would really limit what could be displayed.

For me, the gps would really be useful to record when I found something of interest. This would be very useful in keeping a detecting diary. Besides, you can do so many more things on your home pc with gps data than you could do on the ctx unit itself.

As for the color display, you increase the amount of information you give to the user by using colors. I'm sure the minelab programmers will find some interesting ways to use the color display to tell us what the ctx is seeing underground.

To me, this is potentially a very powerful tool if it works like this. You could be hunting in the woods at an old park and find a hot spot based on patterns of finds, and it would be very easy to get back to the exact spot on your next hunt.