Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What is the purpose/benefit of the WM 08 Wireless Audio Module

NJearthman

I’ve read the paragraph describing this item a half dozen times and still don’t understand its purpose and the benefit it provides particularly at $250 plus bucks. It’s not needed to pair the wireless headphones with the 600 or 800. So what’s the need??????🤷

WM-08 .... You can use any type of headphone connected to it to go wireless... It is 1/8 so might have to get a 1/4 adapter

I’ve read the paragraph describing this item a half dozen times and still don’t understand its purpose and the benefit it provides particularly at $250 plus bucks. It’s not needed to pair the wireless headphones with the 600 or 800. So what’s the need??????🤷
I know you can pair it too your smart phone, and answer your phone while you're detecting. You can also pair it to another metal detector if you're nearby and use it for training purposes.

The WM08 module has Minelab's Wi Stream proprietary wireless technology and will only pair with an Equinox 600 or 800. The WM08 can offer several alternatives to using the Minelab ML80 Bluetooth headphones.
Lets say your ML80s battery runs out so you don't have a Bluetooth connection anymore (the Equinox has a Bluetooth transmitter and a separate Wi-Stream transmitter. So two completely separate, incompatible wireless systems in one detector) I can plug in a 1/8" two male plug cable into my ML80s and plug the other end into my WM08. I reset the wireless system on my Equinox, turn on the WM08, let them pair up and hook the WMO8 on my shirt or coat front pocket, stuff the headphone cable in my pocket and I am still detecting without a headphone wire connected to the Equinox. So no cables to trip over.... AND the WM08s Wi-Stream technology is much faster than Bluetooth so there is absolutely no lag. Instead of plugging in the ML80 headphones, you can plug in any 1/8" plug headphones or earbuds. The sound is great. You can also buy the Minelab 1/8 to 1/4" adapter or use some of the less expensive third party Equinox specific ones and plug in your favorite 1/4" plug metal detecting headphones.

No need to buy a new one if you have an Equinox 600. Just check on these forums. I see one for sale for less than 100 dollars all the time.

Last edited:
The WM08 module has Minelab's Wi Stream proprietary wireless technology and will only pair with an Equinox 600 or 800. The WM08 can offer several alternatives to using the Minelab ML80 Bluetooth headphones.
Lets say your ML80s battery runs out so you don't have a Bluetooth connection anymore (the Equinox has a Bluetooth transmitter and a separate Wi-Stream transmitter. So two completely separate, incompatible wireless systems in one detector) I can plug in a 1/8" two male plug cable into my ML80s and plug the other end into my WM08. I reset the wireless system on my Equinox, turn on the WM08, let them pair up and hook the WMO8 on my shirt or coat front pocket, stuff the headphone cable in my pocket and I am still detecting without a headphone wire connected to the Equinox. So no cables to trip over.... AND the WM08s Wi-Stream technology is much faster than Bluetooth so there is absolutely no lag. Instead of plugging in the ML80 headphones, you can plug in any 1/8" plug headphones or earbuds. The sound is great. You can also buy the Minelab 1/8 to 1/4" adapter or use some of the less expensive third party Equinox specific ones and plug in your favorite 1/4" plug metal detecting headphones.

No need to buy a new one if you have an Equinox 600. Just check on these forums. I see one for sale for less than 100 dollars all the time.
Good answer..!!

I can use my excellent sounding Killer Bees 🐝 Wasp model headphones with independent volume controls. Wirelessly

When I had the wm 08 on the 600 I sold I had the unit attached to my cap visor and wired earbud headband zip tied to the cap. Was like not wearing anything at all. One thing about the wm08 is that it’s best to keep them in view of the detector. If in a pocket or covered up by clothing the signal can get interrupted.

The purpose of the WM 08 wireless audio module is to uh make the audio module uh wireless I think. Yea thats it. My wife just told me to shut up, and tell you I don't know.

I never use headphones for safety reasons. I keep my WMO8 in my front pocket. I use the in the ear wired
ear buds from amazo. I clip the wire to my shirt neck and run it inside my shirt to my front pocket.
if one pops out of my ear I don’t loose it. Never gets tangled in brush. I actually forget it’s in my ear it’s so comfterable.
Doug

Minelab also promotes it as an accessory for teaching.
Several different hunters, up to 3 or 4 I believe, can hook their phones up to one single detector so the signals the swinger gets can be heard by all at the same time.
Don't think in the real world this will have any great use but if you have a friend that is new with his you can demonstrate a few things and not just show him the screen stuff but let him hear the actual tones not just out of the speaker but in their own, personal headphones.
I can see where that might come in handy to help a friend along the learning curve a bit faster.

Won't work for me because as an old curmudgeon I have no friends but for normal young people...sure.

Minelab also promotes it as an accessory for teaching.
Several different hunters, up to 3 or 4 I believe, can hook their phones up to one single detector so the signals the swinger gets can be heard by all at the same time.
Don't think in the real world this will have any great use but if you have a friend that is new with his you can demonstrate a few things and not just show him the screen stuff but let him hear the actual tones not just out of the speaker but in their own, personal headphones.
I can see where that might come in handy to help a friend along the learning curve a bit faster.

Won't work for me because as an old curmudgeon I have no friends but for normal young people...sure.
This is from Minelab's web page for the WM08 module:

"Allows you to listen to audio wirelessly for greater freedom of movement. Up to four WM08 Modules can be connected to an EQUINOX detector for group training."

The WM08 page in the user manual is very detailed for those that like a good bedtime story.

Like I said earlier, Wi-Stream is a Minelab proprietary WiFi system and can only connect a WM08 module to an Equinox metal detector. It will not connect to a Smart Phone as far as I know. I have connected two WM08s for training before and it works well. I have also used one with a pigtail audio connector so that two people could hear the same signals that way. I have also connected an external speaker to mine that I could put closer to my ear in rattlesnake country.

The ML80 Bluetooth headphones will connect to an Equinox and a Bluetooth Smart Phone simultaneously. That is the limit I think, so you can't connect more than one Smart Phone at a time according to the manual. You can receive and make calls and listen to music while detecting............that would only happen at a beach for me. Otherwise, I would have my ears glued to my headphones listening to the beep.

Last edited: