Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What is the purpose of pitch hold?

Let's put these in groups .

Pitch hold and normal takes a snapshot of the target then resets to accept the next target there is a period of time when there is no detection before the next target .

Long and smooth hit a target and go to the next target without this blanking or no detection period so you can say it rolls to the next target on and on with no reset .

I use normal as my sound and use the others for checking targets depending if i'm hunting trash or looking for deep coins , I have my user mode set to a different sound . To cross check what I heard in my normal sound .

Pitch hold is used when I am hunting deep and not much trash if I get a signal that is a thunk a coin on the edge of detection pitch hold well go deeper than the other sounds because all it has to do is break the threshold to give audio id .There may be 1 to 2 inches depending where your sensitivity #s are set at difference in depth . You could just use pitch hold as your sound but it well false high on a nail just like the other sounds .

Long and smooth I will use for checking targets in a trashy place short iron may not give you as a telling signal sign in normal because of the snapshot of the target but long and smooth well stretch that target out giving you more imfo such as a short nail or screw . The short grunt grunt from a short nail will sound like one hit in normal as to long and smooth you can clearly hear the grunt grunt two hit's because the signal is stretched out no resetting from target to target this being the quick grunt grunt .

So next time you find a target try different sounds and see what they sound like on a good target compared to a bad target . sube

I disagree with Sube on one account - I think pitch hold is a fantastic tool for high trash areas because it provides a smoother response than the others with less obnoxious audio swings for the ears. I used to be of the "what's the point" crowd with it after using all of the others pretty regularly, but after I started using it I never bothered to go back.

Sube makes some interesting points. He describes the sounds being made so keep in mind that a high quality set of headphones will help you hear the details in the sounds better. Some headphones use speakers and others use buzzers. Speakers are the better choice for sound quality and detail. The buzzers are good for underwater use. The minelab detectors make a lot of complex sounds and good headphones are a must with minelabs than some of the other detectors.