Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What is this thing... Not found with a detector..

Guvner

Administrator
Staff member
old_device.jpg

Thanks for looking...

Guvner

That is similar to what is used today to remove Pulleys from a shaft.
As the shaft spins the ropes get shorter.
Not very strong looking. Maybe used to pull wheels off of something?

Yeah, not very strong looking for a bearing puller..... Think I've seen stuff like that before.... thinking for setting broken bones? Leg straightener for polio and rickets?

Below is a frame they used for that. The mechanisms you got, Guv, would anchor on either end?... I gotta a couple books of civil war medical devices and equipment... somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it up. Cool stuff, Guv! Does where you found it give you any clues?

CWfracture box_7_14.jpg

bone setters... these are from europe, 1700's thereabouts
Bone Setters | Jane Austen's World
Bone setting High Resolution Stock Photography and Images - Alamy
Bone Setting. Contributed by @Datibomchic. — Steemit

No.. Bought at an auction for antique tools. No one seems to know. Thanks for looking...

G..

No.. Bought at an auction for antique tools. No one seems to know. Thanks for looking...

G..
The other thing maybe... for delivering calves, but gotta hunch a bone setter is a better shot. Pretty cool, Guv.

Not sure myself Guv. ,, pretty cool tho ,, I'm guessing it was used as a puller of something,, wagon wheels,, something similar ,, maybe even to help mold wood or metals , like rocking chair backs or rockers ,,, that's more my way of thinking ,,, I'm not smart enough to be knowing much about them old medical tools ,,,, of course I have heard of them using hatchets and saws for bones and stuff . If that was some medical equipment,, I'm glad I was born in the age of pain meds ,,, back in them days ,, a bottle of likker was about all they had ,,, and as that would numb the senses ,, it didn't do a whole lot for pain .
If ya find out what it actually is,,, let us know .

The piece to the left appears to be for compressing something…. The square shaft has holes which appear to spaced about 1” apart.. at a glance the only thing comes to mind would be like a spring compressor but why would it only need to compressed only 1 or 2 inches…. Everything has that early 1800s look to it…. Don’t really know though..

The one on the left we know. One on right is the puzzle...

Thanks for looking..

G..

Finally! Its the adjuster for the fourth prong in a seven prong liver scratcher!!!! Well maybe….. 😂

What's the one on the left?
He told me what the square thing was. I believe it was a type of vise for something but it's escaping me right now...

Guvner..

He told me what the square thing was. I believe it was a type of vise for something but it's escaping me right now...

Guvner..
Just got actual answer. It’s a 4 sided bar clamp made most likely for some special need.

Steve... My friends a tool and dye guy that collects antique tools. Lots of interesting things done in the 1800's...

G..