Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What is your favorite coil on the Etrac

rickinsdakota

I currently have the stock coil and the Sun Ray X-5. I am wondering if I could use a larger or mid size coil. What are some of your opinions and recommendations on other coils.

I use the 12" x 10" SEF for my everyday hunting and the 6" EQ2 Pro for trashy areas. I just picked up a Sun Ray X-8 in a trade which I'm really excited to try out. I also have the SEF 15" X 12" for fields and use at the beach. That's one thing that's really great about the E-Trac, all kinds of coils to choose from. You'll get all kinds of recommendations, but, people would not recommend a coil if they did not have really good success using them. In other words, you would not go wrong with any of the coils that will be recommended in this post.

I've used the 12x10 and the 8x6 SEF and preferred the stock coil to both. However if I'm in a large area that needs to be hunted I'd go with the bigger coil just because it covers more area.

I love the Sunray x-8 it is lighter than the stock pro coil and almost as deep. Also it is better in trash do to its smaller size.

I'm loving my Ultimate 13" over the stock. Runs a little hotter and it's no heavier. For trash I love my X-5.

I'd love to try an SEF 12 x 15 and a WOT on the beach!

I just picked up a 16 1/2 EQ coil and I'm waiting to see how it performs on the beach. I have a feeling it's going to get a little heavy after a couple of hours though. The Sunray 8" and 12" are good coils depending on what situation you're hunting in. I guess I would just use the 5" coil for hunting around beach chairs.

I never leave home without my Swingy Thingy! With my shoulders I don't have much choice.....

12x10 sef butterfly coil:thumbup:

Only have the pro and X-5. So far the pro is at the top of the list. I cant seem to be able to get a handle on the x-5 yet. Hopefully it will come to me. HH

I have two favorite big coils the 10 x 12 S E F coil and a very deep seeking tornado coil.

hi Ohiocoinhunter.. Im new to this forum and this is my first post here.I used to watch your videos on youtube and liked it alot but you havnt post any video for a long time????

HI all diggers!!! im new to this forum,a proud e-trac owner and this is my first post:) Im very happy with my 11 stock coil.have tried my little joey coil(6x:geek:,but still love my stock coil. the stock coil dissappointed me one time at the beach with so much chattering and falsing,maybe it was the wrong setting i used.I found nothing at all??Anyway im glad to be here:)

rickinsdakota said:
I currently have the stock coil and the Sun Ray X-5. I am wondering if I could use a larger or mid size coil. What are some of your opinions and recommendations on other coils.

That is exact setup I use. Your won't gain much with an in between coil. Great setup there.

I have the stock coil, a 4" x 10" Joey coil, and a 6" x 8" SEF coil. The two smaller coils are very similar in performance in trashy areas, and I love using them to get closer to bleachers and clothes line posts. They are both considerably lighter, too. I'd recommend either for a yard hunt, but I'd agree with others that suggest a larger coil for big parks or fields.

The 6X8 SEF is a very nice coil and a must have for me..My kit is a Pro coil .6X8 SEF and a 6" Excelerator..I found very little use for larger coils as they offer no additional depth or improved signal quality in my soil... wildherre

persiatic said:
hi Ohiocoinhunter.. Im new to this forum and this is my first post here.I used to watch your videos on youtube and liked it alot but you havnt post any video for a long time????
I haven't posted a detecting video in about a year. For a couple of years I was obsessed like a mad man and spent every spare hour out hunting and filming and posting. On my days off I'd hop in the car and drive for hours to hunt new sites. I couldn't get enough of detecting. Now I'm pretty much burned out. I've only hunted a few times this year. I realized I was burned out when I went hunting with Goes4ever. I dug a walking liberty half and didn't even get excited about it. Goes4ever even mentioned I didn't seem too excited. I knew I had lost a lot of my former enthusiasm. The train ran out of steam, I guess. It happens. I'm sure the metal bug will bite again and the old enthusiasm will return. In the meantime, I enjoy keeping an eye on what's happening in the detecting world by reading posts and watching hunting videos. I appreciate that you like my videos and, well, who knows, maybe that bug will bite soon and I'll be hunting and filming again with a vengeance. Dan

All of us (or many of us) go through phases. If you start to make the hunt your job rather than just a way to relax then you'll lose interest. The main thing is don't have "the green eye". Meaning, don't get obsessed with finding the good stuff. Instead, relax and enjoy the outdoors, good friends, and so on. That is the true reward, and so what you do or don't find on any given day is secondary. I've said it before but I'd rather hunt with a few good friends and not find anything then to hunt alone and find some good stuff. Remember when we first got into detecting and were just happy to dig ANY metal object? That is the mindset we must capture again, because guys who never lost that mindset are the ones who still make great finds at sites others have long since given up on. It could easily be a masked, on edge, badly worn coin, or one that just reads "different" due to ground minerals or something. And, who knows what is under that trash? And, that "trash" you are digging hoping for something under it might turn out to be something great, like a gold coin, relic, token, or some odd old coin that reads lower on the scale (many do). As the "easy" deep silver signals are drying up at my sites, I now no longer look for thoses more and more. Instead, I'm starting to dig the iffy or one way coin hits. When those dry up then I'll dig the ones that don't even speak "coin" in the slightest way. No site is ever hunted out. Just one large park would take a group of guys a life time to dig all the "trash" out of. Our hunt is only beginning...

I use the WOT 15" on my everyday hunt and have the SEF 6X8, 10X12, 12x15 and the Ultimate 13 that I have noy use yet and the stock 11" coil is still in the box unpack with the stock headphones too because I use the GoldPRO from Sunray.
I just love the WOT, it has a great cover and depth, plus because I hunt on all open screen it is teaching me to learn all the tones. I read on one of Andy's books that it you learn to hunt on no discrimination (all metal) at all you will get the best of all and it is right, my keepers are grater than when I was using the pattenrs.
tha last coil that I purchase its the Accelerator 14" and it is great as well. I found a 10k ring on the first week I use it, but I prefer the WOT.
and about trashi parks I use the 6X8 or the 10X12 because those are great for separating targets.

Rick73 said:
Thanks for all of the input. This afternoon I ordered a 13 inch Ultimate. It should be here next week.

Very good choice. Let us know what you think of it and post some pics of the neat things you're going to find with it.