Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What is your swing speed on the Etrac

rickinsdakota

I just listed this same post under metal detecting forum but will list it here as well. I was curious to hear what people are using for swing speed. 3 seconds ??? etc side to side.

Alot of that will be controlled by the amount of trash and also what coil is being used, I run the 6" EQ2 alot, most everywhere except places with very little trash but I won't spend much time in a place with very little trash. For me I will say 2 to 3 seconds and I take a wide flat swing with the coil in the grass the whole time.

pescadore said:
Usually around 4 seconds side to side but slower if I need to in heavy trash.

+1:thumbup:

When you think your going slow enough... Slow down soem more. You will be rewarded. 4 second sweep works for me. When i get tired I have to remind myself to slow down. Its not a race.

Slow,slow,slow.....
Have friends that very seldom finds coin with there E-trac on the fields.That is becuse they swing the detector a feet over the ground to fast and in a pendular movement,covering very little ground.
So I have learned to go slow and very low,and it usually give much better result.

I love the Xterra 705 with the WOT on big fields,but I use it only there so I think I will sell the good

EOS said:
Slow,slow,slow.....
Have friends that very seldom finds coin with there E-trac on the fields.That is becuse they swing the detector a feet over the ground to fast and in a pendular movement,covering very little ground.
So I have learned to go slow and very low,and it usually give much better result.

I love the Xterra 705 with the WOT on big fields,but I use it only there so I think I will sell the good

I don't know I never counted. I know I came from the ACE250 quick swing, but I am very patient(sometimes) and it pays off! I agree with the E-trac saying "LOW AND SLOW"!!!!!!!!!!

In a trash filed property you cant go slow enough some times i swing and don't move at all 40 hunts this year 28 silver

Funny is,even though my friends in the MD-club swing fast and high,they come up with some fantastic relics...haha...its about getting it under the coil..
Working big fields with E-trac is a pain sometimes,when you see the Deus people run off like a marathon:rage:

Mike.

Years ago I hunted with a guy who used an XS, he was a master with it. He knew the tones like he knows his own Childs voice and he would swing it like a Whites. He would cover 20 times the ground that I do today with the Etrac and he found alot of deep coins. Sometimes I thought that he was the silver magnet and it was never the Minelab.

I normally swing fast (2-3 seconds 180 degrees to both sides), but learned a lesson this week.

I have been hunting a church yard where a church had burned a couple of years ago (built 1895, burned 1928 and 2010) and where a neighbor to the church told me he found 5 silver dimes, wheats and clad with a Whites DFX. The spot I was hunting was on a corner and had a bank down to the sidewalk. It was probably 20' x 60'.

Day 1, swinging fast, I found 1940 D Merc and a few wheats.

Day 2, I hunted a different angle and slowed down somewhat. 1956 Roosie, 1939 D merc, 1920 Buffalo nickle and several wheaties.

Day 3, Hunted very slow and dug anything in coin range. Found a 1913 "On Mound" Buffalo, No date buffalo, 10 wheaties (1912, 28, 29, 2x30, 35, 36, 37, 40, 41), 2 old jefferson nickles, one memorial, one zincoln (hoped it was an indian head at 12-31/32), one 5 cents aluminum play money token (really wanted it to be bus token), and one childs sailor button with anchor.

It is amazing what I mist in my first "fast" hunt. If you have the time, low and slow is the way to go.

HH