Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What is your swing speed

Depends on factors like what machine I am using and how deep I want to listen. With my Whites V3i or Tesoro clad hunting, I swing very fast because they are or can be set for fast recovery but on my CTX 3030 I don't even consider it a swing...........I scan the ground. Your swing speed should match your detector and how it is set up.

With the AT Pro a three foot per second swing is recommended, so that's about a full swing in one direction.

I'm like Larry, depends on the machine and where I am. AT-Pro in a modern park or parking lot it's medium fast. With the E-Trac looking for deep goodies it's slow.

if im exploring and havent found my target area yet, my swing speed will typically be fast. however, when i find the location(or if i know relics have been found in the area) my swing speed slows down a lot. especially if the area is iron ridden. i found an eagle button 2 inches away and a little deeper than a shaft(metal detector) sized iron rod. i was using the 5x8 on the at pro. if i was swinging fast in the area and not investigating the signals then i would not have found it.

Unless your model detector specifically tells you to swing fast, I wouldn't do it.

Low and slow. Low and slow.

5 second count sweep speed at the most.

Situation dependent, but lets just say I'm on a wide open beach sweeping for fresh drops at 5 in the morning and want to be gone before the crowd shows up...I have an F70 which lends itself well to this situation, I put a spoiler on top of the control box to cut down on on the wind resistance, I have to clean off bugs that are smashed on the side of the shaft, and the fins on the 11"dd will actually make a whistle! So yeah, just flying and weed whipping along!:rofl:

I think it would be wise to test your detector of choice in your particular soil on known targets especially those that have been buried for a while.
Empirical testing is essential to knowing your detector and you might be surprised at what you discover.

Generally I sweep very slow. Big coils and little coils. I do vary my speed at times. I guess one sweep only is not the way to go. Like others have stated there are many factors to consider. As we get to know these factors and our detectors better our results become more impressive. Good luck to everyone and of course HH. Matt

I'm smooth on the low grass sways. I'm faster in tall grass, mainly to knock down all the bugs hanging onto the grass. That's how and why I broke my ACE 250's arm bracket. I also check what ends up over the coil, just to make sure the area isn't full of them little vampire critters, WOODTICKS!
:biteme: