Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What isn't/is the Equinox?-A reminder

Beyonder

( This article is just my opinion)

As we have seen at Detectival, The Equinox is not fully ready for production. Because of this, there seems to be all kinds of speculation and talk about what changes may be made.

What the Equinox isn't:

It isn't FBS or BBS
It won't have ferrous numbers
it's not replacing any Minelab detector(directly)
it won't have a trigger for pinpointing
it won't have the 2d screen

What the Equinox is:

Totally new technology(I can't stress this enough)
a select-able single frequency detector
a multi-frequency detector
can perform fast separation
water proof 3 meters(9 feet)
built in li-ion battery rechargeable while operating
10 hours per charge
3-4 different modes
2 savable settings for each mode
designed to compete with XP Deus, MX Sport, AT MAX/PRO, Impact, and others im sure.

and a few other features as well.

I just want to get back to this.

This is totally new tech here. We don't know for certain HOW it operates, how it really reacts in different ground conditions, what number matrix it uses for the target ID system or how it functions. To say that it is deeper or not as deep as or any other comparrison is pure supposition.

Beyonder - You shown more fact than opinion and for that, I thank you. My dream was crushed when I found out it wasn't BBS. I was hoping for a new lightweight Sovereign. :cry: Although the Equinox possesses multi-frequency technology, I shall wait. It is going to be a while before it is officially released and users start to report their finding(s). Until then, I am going to have fun with my new Max before the snow starts flying. :cheers:

Beyonder said:

As we have seen at Detectival, The Equinox is not fully ready for production. Because of this, there seems to be all kinds of speculation and talk about what changes may be made.

What the Equinox isn't:

It isn't FBS or BBS

What the Equinox is:

10 hours per charge
3-4 different modes
designed to compete with XP Deus, MX Sport, AT MAX/PRO, Impact, and others im sure.

This is totally new tech here. We don't know for certain HOW it operates, how it really reacts in different ground conditions, what number matrix it uses for the target ID system or how it functions. To say that it is deeper or not as deep as or any other comparrison is pure supposition.

So then, what does the "totally new tech" bring to the detecting world, that isn't there already?? That's the million $$ question. If it was something extraordinary, it just seems to me that, at it's release announcement, an indicater of what this "new technology" can do to provide significantly BETTER detecting abilities in any meaningful way would be highlighted. Perhaps it's there, but why not tell everyone up front that it's there? Why not tell people it WILL detect deeper, IF it will? Why not say it totally eliminates iron masking, IF it will? I'm not asking to divulge the total aspects/schematics of the "new tech", just tell us what the end result of this "new technology" provides, that is significant.

The V3i gave us switchable single/multi frequency yrs ago, they just foolishly never put it in a submersible platform for the saltwater hunters. Beyond the unknown "new technology" I'm sorry to say, there is nothing you listed that is of an extraordinary development to the detecting world. Just a nicely featured machine.
Beyond being a saltwater hunter, or liking the feature set, what is the compelling reason to get on the "pre-order" list?? How does the "new technology" translate into a demonstrably better detector? That's what I'm waiting to see!

MI-AuAg said:
So then, what does the "totally new tech" bring to the detecting world, that isn't there already?? That's the million $$ question. If it was something extraordinary, it just seems to me that, at it's release announcement, an indicater of what this "new technology" can do to provide significantly BETTER detecting abilities in any meaningful way would be highlighted. Perhaps it's there, but why not tell everyone up front that it's there? Why not tell people it WILL detect deeper, IF it will? Why not say it totally eliminates iron masking, IF it will? I'm not asking to divulge the total aspects/schematics of the "new tech", just tell us what the end result of this "new technology" provides, that is significant.

The V3i gave us switchable single/multi frequency yrs ago, they just foolishly never put it in a submersible platform for the saltwater hunters. Beyond the unknown "new technology" I'm sorry to say, there is nothing you listed that is of an extraordinary development to the detecting world. Just a nicely featured machine.
Beyond being a saltwater hunter, or liking the feature set, what is the compelling reason to get on the "pre-order" list?? How does the "new technology" translate into a demonstrably better detector? That's what I'm waiting to see!

HAhaha, if you don't like what you see, why are you here? I'll be happy to tell you what it does different / better as soon as I get my hands on one.

First of all, I love Minelab detectors. I still have my XS from when it came out new and recently got an E-trac.

Most detectors put out a single frequency at one given time. Some detectors allow one to switch to a different frequency. So this is nothing new.

There is only so much one can do in the scenario of a machine putting out a single freq. that hasn't already been done.
To me, the only difference is faster reset going from one target to another. Some have better depth than others. Some have better I.D. than others.

Hey Minelab, how about a detector that completely sees through iron trash? I'm not talking about seeing near it. Start cracking those physics books. :)

MI-AuAg

So then, what does the "totally new tech" bring to the detecting world, that isn't there already??

We don't know yet. It may act similar to other detectors but the way it operates is different.

Perhaps it's there, but why not tell everyone up front that it's there? Why not tell people it WILL detect deeper, IF it will? Why not say it totally eliminates iron masking, IF it will? I'm not asking to divulge the total aspects/schematics of the "new tech", just tell us what the end result of this "new technology" provides, that is significant.

There are certain pieces of information they can release at certain times. They are very methodical.

The V3i gave us switchable single/multi frequency yrs ago, they just foolishly never put it in a submersible platform for the saltwater hunters.

This is not going to be anything like the v3i

Beyond the unknown "new technology" I'm sorry to say, there is nothing you listed that is of an extraordinary development to the detecting world. Just a nicely featured machine.

Be that as it may, to some, this machine is a game changer. It's subjective.

Beyond being a saltwater hunter, or liking the feature set, what is the compelling reason to get on the "pre-order" list??

It's new? There are some that have machines that are low end. this is their chance to get a Minelab

How does the "new technology" translate into a demonstrably better detector?

A guess....maybe :) It uses two detecting modes at the same time. One that handles the ground and one that is used to detect. No other detector does that..IF it does that.

And Tony:

Most detectors put out a single frequency at one given time. Some detectors allow one to switch to a different frequency. So this is nothing new.

It uses new technology

There is only so much one can do in the scenario of a machine putting out a single freq. that hasn't already been done.
To me, the only difference is faster reset going from one target to another. Some have better depth than others. Some have better I.D. than others.

True, but it is the way it's done.

Hey Minelab, how about a detector that completely sees through iron trash? I'm not talking about seeing near it. Start cracking those physics books. :)

They are sitting on patents. They have something like that im sure.

Jason in Enid said:
MI-AuAg said:

HAhaha, if you don't like what you see, why are you here? I'll be happy to tell you what it does different / better as soon as I get my hands on one.

I'm here because I DO like what I see, BUT, on it's face it's a waterproof, modernized, simplified, V3i. I'm looking for something NEW in performance/end results, that's what "new technology" usually suggests.

I'll happily read your report, and any others, of what the mystery technology's significant acheivment is! Right now I feel like I'm at a carnival, and the guy says "hey kid gimme $10 and you can see what's in the mystery room".

From what is known, it's a nicely featured, multi use/environment machine. To put the machine up for sale, and not tell people what the "new technology" actually gives them, if anything of significance, is very unusual. In normal promotions, if it's groundbreaking, better than anything out there, it's the headline, bold print, emphasized selling point. In this machine we don't even know what it does. It makes me believe, that it's just a new way of grinding the sausage, but in the end, it's the same old sausage. I know, it may sound cynical. Hopefully, the extraordinary abilities/end results of the "new technology" will eventually come to light, and be amazing. Such wonders shouldn''t be kept under a cloak.
Perhaps I'm being overly cautious, but, I guess I just like to know what I'm getting, before I buy one. I really don't think that's an unreasonable expectation.

MI-AuAg said:
I'm here because I DO like what I see, BUT, on it's face it's a waterproof, modernized, simplified, V3i. I'm looking for something NEW in performance/end results, that's what "new technology" usually suggests.

I'll happily read your report, and any others, of what the mystery technology's significant acheivment is! Right now I feel like I'm at a carnival, and the guy says "hey kid gimme $10 and you can see what's in the mystery room".

From what is known, it's a nicely featured, multi use/environment machine. To put the machine up for sale, and not tell people what the "new technology" actually gives them, if anything of significance, is very unusual. In normal promotions, if it's groundbreaking, better than anything out there, it's the headline, bold print, emphasized selling point. In this machine we don't even know what it does. It makes me believe, that it's just a new way of grinding the sausage, but in the end, it's the same old sausage. I know, it may sound cynical. Hopefully, the extraordinary abilities/end results of the "new technology" will eventually come to light, and be amazing. Such wonders shouldn't be kept under a cloak.
Perhaps I'm being overly cautious, but, I guess I just like to know what I'm getting, before I buy one. I really don't think that's an unreasonable expectation.

I have never jumped on a pre-order for any detector. I have always been skeptical, always waiting until others bought it and tried it first. Heres what I have learned from minelab though, I was skeptical of hype about the E-Trac but it delivered everything promised. I was skeptical of the CTX but delivered everything promised. Minelab has been THE leader in detecting technology for a long time now. Everyone else has been playing catchup until the DEUS and its speed of recovery and low weight made a huge impact. Now Minelab has something new. They are saying its doing its thing completely different and will set a new bar for others. We have seen its design, we have seen its speed, we see how light and compact it is. Thats enough for me to jump in on this. Minelab is promising a LOT and Minelab has always delivered in the past.

edit to add - You mentioned about Minelab talking the "new tech" without saying what it really did. That is par for the course with Minelab! The E-Trac was released with "FBS" technology but to this day wont say exactly what methods and details of FBS are. BBS tech was introduced but never disclosed exactly what freqs or timing periods or anything else used. CTX has FBS2 but 5 years later we don't know exactly how it differs. So The EQ has new tech. They have said generally what this detector does differently but they will never say the details of their design and why would they? If they did, every other company would immediately beginning copy the technology the Minelab has probably spent millions to develop.

What does it bring to the table?

IF it is as good as the E-Trac, then it bring a 2 1/2 lbs E-Trac with wireless headphones, and much faster processor. That alone is reason for me to buy one. Anything else is just icing on the cake.

Jason in Enid said:
MI-AuAg said:

From what is known, it's a nicely featured, multi use/environment machine. To put the machine up for sale, and not tell people what the "new technology" actually gives them, if anything of significance, is very unusual. In normal promotions, if it's groundbreaking, better than anything out there, it's the headline, bold print, emphasized selling point. In this machine we don't even know what it does. It makes me believe, that it's just a new way of grinding the sausage, but in the end, it's the same old sausage. I know, it may sound cynical. Hopefully, the extraordinary abilities/end results of the "new technology" will eventually come to light, and be amazing. Such wonders shouldn't be kept under a cloak.

I have never jumped on a pre-order for any detector. I have always been skeptical, always waiting until others bought it and tried it first. Heres what I have learned from minelab though, I was skeptical of hype about the E-Trac but it delivered everything promised. I was skeptical of the CTX but delivered everything promised. Minelab has been THE leader in detecting technology for a long time now. Everyone else has been playing catchup until the DEUS and its speed of recovery and low weight made a huge impact. Now Minelab has something new. They are saying its doing its thing completely different and will set a new bar for others. We have seen its design, we have seen its speed, we see how light and compact it is. Thats enough for me to jump in on this. Minelab is promising a LOT and Minelab has always delivered in the past.

I get what you're saying Jason. I spent a yr researching the CTX before purchasing one. I was disappointed with Minelab's failure to modify the battery gasket in the first four yrs, but, have no regrets in getting one. It did/does provide a significant demonstrable ability to the detector with the FBS2/Smartfind2, and Target Trace etc. All the "ground breaking" technology of that one wasn't hidden, it was promoted, because it was/is the heart of the machine's abilities. Minelab said what the new technology is giving in end results, and it pretty much does it. They are conspicuously silent as to what better results/abilities are to come from the Equinox.

I also get that with the Equinox it is supposed to "do it's thing completely different". My point is, I'd like to know what doing it's thing differently, does to the end result? What results are demonstrably better? I can walk around the block counter clockwise, and you can walk around clockwise, yet the result is the same. We both did our thing differently, but the result was the same. I just want somebody, anybody, to tell me what specifically, demonstrably, that doing things "completely different" is providing in the end game. What specific detecting function/result is better, due to this new way of doing things. Is it appreciably deeper, better ID, iron unmasking? If you've put a machine out for sale, it shouldn't be a secret at that point, if it's giving much better results, it should be emphasized. I don't want blueprints, just a simple statement of exactly what it does better.

well said Beyonder

i pre ordered 1 just because i like what i see :super: & i trust minelab to bring innovation to the table & lightweight & fast & waterproof & the price is right :thumbup:

Beyonder said:

What the Equinox isn't:

It isn't FBS or BBS

What the Equinox is:

10 hours per charge
3-4 different modes

Southwind said:
What does it bring to the table?

IF it is as good as the E-Trac, then it bring a 2 1/2 lbs E-Trac with wireless headphones, and much faster processor. That alone is reason for me to buy one. Anything else is just icing on the cake.

I understand it is meant to be more on the level with the AT Pro mid-level detector. It was not meant to replace the E-trac.

MI-AuAg --

I get what you are saying. You want answers. I don't blame you. You are asking good questions about "what will it do," and will "what it will do" be "better" than what we already have available.

Smart questions, and questions that need to be answered.

BUT -- one thing I will say is, you have said a couple of times now that you are frustrated that Minelab "put up a unit for sale" without giving us specifics on what to expect. But, they really HAVEN'T put it up for sale. They simply demonstrated a PROTOTYPE at a detecting festival. They "teased" us; I am SURE there will be more details as to what we can expect this detector to do leading up to its actual release -- and particularly when it is actually ready to hit the streets. I can see why they would not say "too much" while it is still in "prototype" stage; no reason to let your competition know TOO MUCH of what you are doing.

WITH THAT SAID, I wanted to address something Jason in Enid said (great post, by the way). I agree with you that Minelab -- even now -- doesn't tell us squat about how FBS works, how FBS2 works, etc. Pre-release, I get that. But what I don't get is, WHY would they not let us know NOW how it works? Understanding how something works, and the limitations, can only help the savvy detectorist. And at this point, once the machines are out there, with all the technology patented, what is there to be hiding? Are you telling me if a detecting engineer for White's or Fisher or Garrett bought a CTX and took it apart, they couldn't "reverse engineer" it? What's the secret worth protecting, once the machine is out there and you have filed the applicable patents? LET US KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON with these technologies (FBS, FBS 2, BBS, VFlex), for Pete's sake! (Again, I'm talking AFTER the machines hit the street, not before...)

Steve

MI-AuAg said:
Jason in Enid said:
MI-AuAg said:

I get what you're saying Jason. I spent a yr researching the CTX before purchasing one. I was disappointed with Minelab's failure to modify the battery gasket in the first four yrs, but, have no regrets in getting one. It did/does provide a significant demonstrable ability to the detector with the FBS2/Smartfind2, and Target Trace etc. All the "ground breaking" technology of that one wasn't hidden, it was promoted, because it was/is the heart of the machine's abilities. Minelab said what the new technology is giving in end results, and it pretty much does it. They are conspicuously silent as to what better results/abilities are to come from the Equinox.

I also get that with the Equinox it is supposed to "do it's thing completely different". My point is, I'd like to know what doing it's thing differently, does to the end result? What results are demonstrably better? I can walk around the block counter clockwise, and you can walk around clockwise, yet the result is the same. We both did our thing differently, but the result was the same. I just want somebody, anybody, to tell me what specifically, demonstrably, that doing things "completely different" is providing in the end game. What specific detecting function/result is better, due to this new way of doing things. Is it appreciably deeper, better ID, iron unmasking? If you've put a machine out for sale, it shouldn't be a secret at that point, if it's giving much better results, it should be emphasized. I don't want blueprints, just a simple statement of exactly what it does better.

I don't think minelab patents the details of algorithms for exactly how their detectors do what they do. I do also think its extremely difficult to reverse engineer this stuff. The secret isnt in the physical design (although some aspects probably are) the secret is in the programming that's surely flashed onto e-prom chips. How the core program interacts with those proms wouldn't be written in BASIC language. So unless someone has access to Minelabs computer engineers (or the NSA decided to find out the secrets of the CTX) I doubt anyone outside the company can tell you or me exactly how this stuff works.

Sure, it would be great to know the details. It probably could help us pick up the strengths and weaknesses better. But once the genie is out of the bottle theres no putting it back. Releasing the exact "hows" would result in it being copied by every manufacturer and maybe done better. Companies like to only compete with themselves; only releasing the next tech when the current tech has reached market saturation.

To be perfectly honest,ever since I've started using FBS with the Explorer2 and then the FBS2 powered CTX,I'm just very curious about the processing that goes on. I know Minelab may be wary of a rival using any "blabbering" for nefarious purposes,patents or not. I'm just very interested in the operation of both machines and WHY they are SO much better at doing what I need them to do. It's strictly curiosity. I've said before that I don't care HOW they work,I care THAT they work. I'd love to know HOW to expand my knowledge of the hobby,that's all. But,since that information directly from Dr. Candy is probably not coming any time soon,I'll continue to use these great machines with continued great success.
All good thoughts here...here's another. Why did Minelab unveil the Equinox where they did?

Jason in Enid said:
I don't think minelab patents the details of algorithms for exactly how their detectors do what they do. I do also think its extremely difficult to reverse engineer this stuff. The secret isnt in the physical design (although some aspects probably are) the secret is in the programming that's surely flashed onto e-prom chips. How the core program interacts with those proms wouldn't be written in BASIC language. So unless someone has access to Minelabs computer engineers (or the NSA decided to find out the secrets of the CTX) I doubt anyone outside the company can tell you or me exactly how this stuff works.

Sure, it would be great to know the details. It probably could help us pick up the strengths and weaknesses better. But once the genie is out of the bottle theres no putting it back. Releasing the exact "hows" would result in it being copied by every manufacturer and maybe done better. Companies like to only compete with themselves; only releasing the next tech when the current tech has reached market saturation.

Hmm. Some good points Jason. Thanks.

IMHO because they were getting hammered by the Deus in Europe. Seems fairly obvious that the new model is aimed squarely at the Deus. Plus I think England has more detectorists than other Euro countries (maybe). Plus England speaks the same language as us (sort of - LOL).

I think the unveil was planned for its target audience. The DEUS has been a huge hit in Europe, where field hunting and heavy iron are problems. Hell, it even looks a lot like a DEUS. When I saw the very first pic of it, I thought it was a photoshop joke.

As a salt water hunter you are right it may not replace the Xcal or CTX. However, if it gets the depth of an Xcal and is lighter...... then it has that big plus for smaller gold in the dry sand. Unlike the Deus it can go in the water. I see this as a possible replacement for the Xcal as a wading machine not to mention.... again, those single freqs means a huge plus out of the water. Lets face it the Xcal isnt ever going to be a dirt machine. Its not going to replace the CTX..... to many features that makes it a success as a dirt machine, but i can see people choosing to use it over a CTX out there. If its simple, fast, and deep for less than the price of an Xcal.....its a real winner. They havent really advertised it as a beach machine ..... but its seems to really have the pluses weve been asking for in a new Xcal. Ive seen all the hype videos...... show me one on the beach.... in the water ML.

Dew