Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What machine have you used that you feel is wayyy UNDER-RATED?

silverseeker 2

For me I would say the Fisher I.D. Edge is one of the most under-rated machines I feel
I have ever used. This machine Id's in all metal, has very respectable depth! I feel the
reason you don't hear much about them is there were not a lot of them Sold and the reason
is probably because Fisher drastically changed the size of the control box when most
were used to the CZ Platform.Just doesn't have the appeal of the CZ market. Love
the color scheme on the I.D. Edge though.Still have this pristine machine and enjoy
using the Edge every so often as I find it to be a sleeper machine.Very simple to use
and a very capable machine in keeping up with what's out there today. Don't hear
much about the I.D. Edge or it's big brother the Excell which was first in this series of
small box Fishers I do believe.Used to see Big Bill Ladd promoting the Excell and by his reports
he seemed to like this machine but we all know Bill has used every machine under the SUN
and is a great Treasure hunter.Would like to hear any input on any of these 2 units plus what
you feel is a highly under-rated machine that most don't use today or any machine on the
market today that you feel is totally under-rated and why!
silverseeker 2

MX5 despite its design flaws and it has plenty, its a modern wonder in its price range can do things machines worth 3 times can do. but like I said its a real raw detector , don't know who designed it but I wish I could sit down and pick their brain to see where it come from and where it could go and offer some suggestions magnificent platform wasted really and only those of us willing to forgo its flaws get to see its beauty.

AJ

Whites 5900 di pro.. for many of the same reasons you like the id edge... good depth,fast,great separation, id s in both disc and all metal and despite its 6.59 frequency it hits good on small oddly shaped gold if the operator has enough patience..

Bounty hunter platinum and bounty hunter land ranger pro. The platinum is the same as the teknetics gamma 6000 minus the manual ground balance but costs slightly more than half the price of the 6000. The land ranger pro, look at the features for 275 dollars and the coil it comes with. Will air test a quarter at 12 inches. Both under 300 dollars and perform way beyond their price point.

farmer85j said:
Bounty hunter platinum and bounty hunter land ranger pro. The platinum is the same as the teknetics gamma 6000 minus the manual ground balance but costs slightly more than half the price of the 6000. The land ranger pro, look at the features for 275 dollars and the coil it comes with. Will air test a quarter at 12 inches. Both under 300 dollars and perform way beyond their price point.

A second on the Platinum. I bought one years ago when getting back into the hobby. Excellent value as mentioned. Virtually the same machine as the Gamma 6000, with a slightly different GB system (as mentioned), and a bit more discrimination options, Same processor as the 6000. Hook it up with the 11" Fisher F5 DD coil, and gets very good performance. The ground grab balancing system is easy and works well, good discrimination/notch ability, multi (4) tones, excellent accurate ID. I have other machines, but it remains one of the best value/performance. Still use and enjoy it.

I always wondered why it was sold only by a limited retail outlets. I suspect it was a bit of a marketing experiment by First Texas. Since BH, Teknetics, and Fisher are all children of the same parent company. Perhaps they thought if it was sold by limited vendors the fact that it was virtually the same machine as the 6000, only 200.00 cheaper than it's cousin would go unnoticed? Folks who did their research caught on to the exceptional value. Now also sold as the BH Platinum "Pro". It is the same machine that is configured with an 11" DD coil.

and at times while detecting I feel they are WAY underrated...shovel, sifter and eyes. HaHa! In all honesty I like post like this and looking forward to the responses. HH!

One of the machines that i use that i feel is very under rated is my Nexus Standard SE with dual 9'' coil on the machine,only use it mainly on pasture for deep artifact/hoards etc,its a machine that if you put the time in the more it give back too you,its pretty decent on single coins but the machine excels in depth department,i wont mention any depth figures or anything like that but being a VLF machine it more than does for my needs,encroaching on PI performance but with discrimination.

Does not come out too play very often as i usually take into account the 'reward to effort' ratio as one can end up dig a reasonable size hole ;) but i do like using it,if you can spend some time with it and tame it then its a beast.

Don't leave us hangin AJ----tell us (list the) flaws on the MX5.----I never had one but am curious about it.----That h.p. jack on the right side looks like a real PITA for one thing---most of the world is right handed.:)----What all else (flaws)?
amberjack said:
MX5 despite its design flaws and it has plenty, its a modern wonder in its price range can do things machines worth 3 times can do. but like I said its a real raw detector , don't know who designed it but I wish I could sit down and pick their brain to see where it come from and where it could go and offer some suggestions magnificent platform wasted really and only those of us willing to forgo its flaws get to see its beauty.

AJ

Hands down the M6 IMHO. Most amazing jewelry machine I have ever used. LOVES gold. Little heavy but VDI numbers are amazingly accurate and pinpoints like a laser.

I think the Omega 8000 is a little underrated too. So much fun with the stock coil,but hates EMI.

D&P-OR said:
Don't leave us hangin AJ----tell us (list the) flaws on the MX5.----I never had one but am curious about it.----That h.p. jack on the right side looks like a real PITA for one thing---most of the world is right handed.:)----What all else (flaws)?
amberjack said:

AJ
Hope AJ doesn't take this wrong, but none of his machines (that most would drool over in their must have list) have his total endorsement. I simply run the cord under the right handle/hand and it doesn't bother me. The only other "flaw" I could think of would be the inability to "lock" the groundtrac feature as the M6. I simply slow down whenever sudden radical ground minerals cause audio changes. The M5 was my result of counting my pennies, checking all features desirable for my area. I didn't expect that I would be able to use the 8 tone feature and basically walk thru trashy areas with only an occasional glance at the screen. You basically narrow the tones to four: foil, nickel, tabs, coins. For those who hate zincers , there's also a split high tone (dime/penny). And, of course, couple of inches extra in depth over my fixed g/b detectors was neat. Whenever I get serious, the 1/2 tones feature really gets down there and picks out some finds I might miss in tones. For me it was a serious decision-I feel I got my money's worth.

Last year I used a plastic barrel electric cement mixer,------------------ As far a detectors, none -------after1----------

I must have one of those funky MX5's as it does some weird high tone like so high only a dog can hear it :punch: comes and goes and the 9" spider is unusable in some parks so either I have a lemon of its just a crap design.

I am going with a crap design I don't know what whites do its like they almost get there but cant finish their detectors off as well as say minelab etc..

like I had a DF blew 2 coils in a few weeks anyway that's life.

I am willing to put up with those flaws and hardware flaws because it just does stuff to compensate for the crap bits :biggrin:

so no not sending it back cost me more than the detectors worth and its no guarantee it will get fixed so where I live I fix my own detectors if I can if I can't I put up with it or sell it or throw it in the bin.

lucky no bin jobs yet :biggrin:

so don't let me put you off buying a MX5 like I said its a great detector just does some "Funky Cold Medina" well you know what I mean.

AJ

amberjack said:
I must have one of those funky MX5's as it does some weird high tone like so high only a dog can hear it :punch: comes and goes and the 9" spider is unusable in some parks so either I have a lemon of its just a crap design.

I am going with a crap design I don't know what whites do its like they almost get there but cant finish their detectors off as well as say minelab etc..

like I had a DF blew 2 coils in a few weeks anyway that's life.

I am willing to put up with those flaws and hardware flaws because it just does stuff to compensate for the crap bits :biggrin:

so no not sending it back cost me more than the detectors worth and its no guarantee it will get fixed so where I live I fix my own detectors if I can if I can't I put up with it or sell it or throw it in the bin.

lucky no bin jobs yet :biggrin:

so don't let me put you off buying a MX5 like I said its a great detector just does some "Funky Cold Medina" well you know what I mean.

AJ
If I remember correctly, you run yours wide open?

1st 3 notches blocked out if that's what you mean sens to suit but the park in mention with 9" spider drop sense as low as it would go no deal , have to test it at some other spots when I get around to it can only swing one right :lmfao:

AJ

My "sleeper detector" was a Shadow X3. I have had problems with preset ground balance detectors in my soil and got the X3 for a quick grab and go "clad stabber". This detector had a 7 inch stock coil and it did not take me long to find out how deep and accurate this lightweight powerhouse actually was. It was as deep as the X5 and this was with the 7 inch coil. I dug several 10 inch deep nickels and copper pennies. Sure wish I had kept this detector.

I always Heard good things about the X-3. I always wanted to try one. I had a X-5 and it was a pain in the A** to ground balance as could not get the depth people
Claimed? But love the build and balance and one 9 volt.

@Harold,ILL.,i had a brand new X5 about 10 years back,used it for about a year and gave it plenty of time but if i am honest it was the worst and only machine that i have ever sol,build quality and everything about it was superb in theory but i hated it,sold it 12 months later with only a paltry loss,which made me happy.