Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What makes the best headphones for the Explorer?

Hi all...

This may be an odd question but what makes the perfect headphones for the Explorer?

Let me explain...I currently use a set of behind the ear Sony headphones for my Explorer II since I wear a wide brim hat to avoid the inevitable back of the neck sun burn and I found full headphones get awfully hot in the summer on the beach. Anyway, I would like to buy another set but want to keep with the non-"over the head" headphones such as the Koss-30 and the Grey Ghost.

thanks...Keith

Keith,
You must keep in mind you are paying for quality. When you pay the higher price......you are getting a very good warranty and quality. Headphones designed for metal detecting have to take the different weather conditions, rain, sun, heat. So keep this in mind while making your selection.

I don't know about perfect and I usually use over the noggin cup style headphones. However, I have been out when it was just to hot to use these a few times and tried the clip over the ear style with very good results. I don't recall the model number but I picked them up at Radio Shack and they happened to be on sale at the time. They were made by Koss and have an in-line volume control. I want to say I got them for like 15 bucks and the normal price was like 25 bucks. I could easily hear the outside noise but could also easily hear what was coming through the headset speakers too.
Koss KSC75 @ Radio Shack - normally about 25 bucks. - I just opened another browser and checked real quick.
Anyway, since the Koss headset has the smaller jack, I just plugged a 1/4" jack adapter into the detector and all worked well. My normal headsets I use will cost about 100 bucks for one and over that for the other one I use.
I normally use the newer style Ratphones and Sunray Gold Pro.
I was actually impressed with the sound quality that these little Koss headsets put out. And having the volume control was a necessary feature as some of my machines don't have a volume control.
They did way better than I expected and if you run reviews/epinions on a search, musics buffs rate them high for the cost-sound quality ratio. (was about a year ago I checked the reviews).
I'm sure there are a several out there to choose from but these are the only clip on ear style I have tried.
I tried this headset on a small but high quality portable FM stereo radio and - wow - clean quality sound for the cost. My son tried them for one of his radio's, ipod, or whatever - I haven't seen them since.

G'day Kieth. There is a few different approaches you can take. In the heat, I'll often use ear buds, however, if you are detecting on a surf beach, then anything other than a fully covering set of headphones, makes it hard to hear the detector. To this end, there are 2 other solutions that you may want to consider. I have see headphones that appear to have a wrap around your neck set up. I think that Tandy and Dick Smiths sell this type of set up. Just keep an eye out on retailers that sell head phones. The second solution. I have seen in older copies of Gem and Treasure magazine (a year or 2 back) there were regular adds for a wide brimmed hat that is specifically designed to fit on around a set of head phones. I think that they were made of fabric.
Mick Evans.