Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What makes your metal detector good? How to become a better detectorist? Do you care?

Agree with your sentiment, as I am a true believer in knowing and tuning my machine to the conditions I am detecting in. Once you have spent the time to do the research on your locations, learn and test your machine and understand how to make your equipment work best FOR YOU, you will feel better about the time you spend detecting. And I say "equipment" because using a poor quality set of headphones or a weak handheld probe can alter your experience as well.

Some folks have their own reasons for wanting a high-end machine that has a "coin" or "relic" program, so they don't have to spend the time to understand the technology to that level of detail. It's kinda like your cell phone... how many folks really know what's going on in that little device? Most don't care... we just want to use it. I don't have a problem with that... as long as they don't come complaining.

When they come up to me and ask me why I have these finds from the same spot they detected in, and they are not finding the same, I ask about the settings on their machine. Many times, we are able to resolve the issue. When they can't answer that question, then I just tell them to come back when they understand how to adjust the settings on their machine. I've spent the time with groups showing them the "how"s, actually let them swing their machine over the same spot before I dig it, and typically only a few individuals really care and learn. I'm not sure why that is, but we all are wired differently... and that's OK!

First off let me say that I am thrilled to find a place I can FINALLY comment on your fantastic videos! (They need praised) I always pull something away Positive from your videos (except for the underwater ones I have a phobia of underwater structures?? I know weird!) even though our soils are completely different (Ohio) your knowledge that you have provided along with my reading every book I can find on the Knox and deus have been Priceless! I have scoured every one of your field and test videos... I have tweaked and tested all of your various “recommended“ settings with ease! I never thought you received the proper recognition that you talk about in your videos... well I’m here to tell you “here” is your number 1 fan and back what you say because it’s spot on!
Hope I didn’t FAN BOY too much! And I hope I posted this in correct spot and all that!
don’t stop the knowledge and me questioning can I squeeze more outta this tector! Keep videos coming and THANK YOU CALABASH DIGGER!

I know when I’m out and hit some weird reaction to detecting then natural curiosity sets in and I want to know why. Case in point; why do I get EMI around my house and shop when there is snow on the ground but its clear when bare ground? Still working on that....... The more you know and understand whats happening the more you can adjust your strategies and continue forward.

I think we have hobbyist and serious hobbyists. What would the difference in the two?? I consider myself a serious hobbyist, because I have taken the time to learn my detector to the fullest. Test garden?? It gives you the edge as to what you might encounter in the field. I have known many detectorist over the years that seem to have the latest and greatest, but never really know what the detector is doing and why ? They usually have a team of metal detectors, 5-6 different detectors that they carry around. I set my limits at 2 detectors, and put my efforts into learning those two and not worrying about other detectors that are available. I do try new detectors that come along, in my test garden to help evaluate possible detectors with potential. I do have to agree with your findings about the three foreign manufacturers, in that they are leading the way as of now. In the past every publication on metal detecting (All gone now) tested new metal detectors and it is funny that every single detector was GREAT !! Not a single flaw , not one . They couldn’t be objective. Ever !! With today’s method of presentation..... YouTube.... the performance or lack there of shows !!! This should be a wake up call for the US manufacturers of detectors! ...... Keep making your videos Calabash Digger and thank you !!!

Well CD I feel like I'm preaching to the choir but here go's. I here some folks say I just want something simple. Thats fine if you can continue to find sites that are free from a lot of trash including iron and want to primarily dig coins. Good luck those sites are becoming rarer all the time. Dan Dankowski said 90% of good fines are still there but are hidden by junk. You have to have the right tools and technique to sniff them out. I primarily use one of your favorite machines and it quite frankly will handle most situations you'll find. The only reason I don't use the other one is I already have a CTX which is a good water machine and multi kfx and I hate learning a new one although I love tinkering with the ones I do own if I feel they are superior. Of all your videos perhaps my favorite is the one at the ice cream stand site even though coin hunting is not your thing. For a long time I asked myself why would a guy hunt w/o the controller to watch in a really trashy site. I slowly began to realize that on a great machine the right tone ups everything and if you have the machine set correctly, including iron drag, for what you're hoping to find, then put the dang thing in your pocket and just dig good tones. There's too much temptation to let the TID #s dictate your decision to dig. I've always had pretty good luck but have found that this technique seems to help with my "luck" Best.

I consider myself as one of the 10%ers who take this lifestyle seriously. I have never been involved with anything that challenges me in so many different aspects. Hunting technique, historical research, mapping, detector capabilities, gaining permissions, soil types, contamination types, and above all attitude and patience. All of these aspects have taken years to develop and I feel that I'm just now getting to the good stuff. A great performing machine is a must and I have several. So when I'm asked by someone what they need to get started in metal detecting I reply, first is the right expectations and second is a good machine (I give them my opinion on what I have experienced and what I have learned from others). I don't paint any rosy pictures and if they still want to charge forward well good for them. If not, well good for me.

Thanks for keeping it real Bash. I know you have taken some heat at times but I trust your opinion.

I hunt a lot hundreds of hours all year and time spent in the fields or water is paramount to great technique and great finds! Great video Cal I now use only my equinox learn your machine well and you will make great finds!
Mark

Do you care? How does your metal detector stack up to others? How to become a better detectorist? How to be more successful at finding the old stuff? If you do care check this video out...
LOL, CD. Research, research, research, work, work, work. Bud, location is the beginning of everything. Without location it doesn't matter what your detector is.

Example. I live in Houston. My cousin lives in Louisiana. I just got him started in metal detecting, he's been detecting for 6 weeks now. He lives within 20 minutes of 4 plantations. One of those plantations was heavily involved in the CW. His second week detecting he found a rare CW stirrup ( he's so inexperienced he thought it was a "lamp thingy"). Guess what, I'm not gonna find that in Houston. No where in Houston is that possible. I can drive 6 hrs to meet him and dig that same plantation which I have. That said because of proximity, he's digging finds that most detectorist would kill to find. He's doing it every time he goes detecting, which is every other day. Location and proximity are the two most important items on the criteria list.

Know what I crush him on ? Jewelry. I live close to the beach and go often and rack up. New Years day I left the beach with 1 white gold, 2 yellow gold and one silver ring. Add 1 gold cross and it was a great hunt. However, I would much rather dig what my cousin is finding. He lives 2 and half hours from a beach and the beach doesn't get much action, so there isn't any jewelry. Location and proximity. If you have those two, then you're off to a good start. Because you live in a better proximity to relics than I do, does that make you a better detectorist than me ? Maybe at relics you're better than me but I would likely crush you on a beach.

I agree there are different levels of hobbyist and better detectors than others.

PS, I know you missed me :)

I have been doing a lot of different things since we crossed paths...I agree location is key for whatever you do... I drove 3 hours yesterday to a site well it was flooded had to turn around and drive 3 hrs back....6 hours of riding and nothing....Whether you hunt Jewelry ,Coins, Relics, or what ever the guy who puts himself in the spot is gonna have the best odds...With that being said why not hunt the spot with the best tool??? Yes you can go to a Plantation with a Ace 150 and find stuff...Or you can go in there with a unmasker and clean house...
IMG_3755 (1).PNG

I have been doing a lot of different things since we crossed paths...I agree location is key for whatever you do... I drove 3 hours yesterday to a site well it was flooded had to turn around and drive 3 hrs back....6 hours of riding and nothing....Whether you hunt Jewelry ,Coins, Relics, or what ever the guy who puts himself in the spot is gonna have the best odds...With that being said why not hunt the spot with the best tool??? Yes you can go to a Plantation with a Ace 150 and find stuff...Or you can go in there with a unmasker and clean house...View attachment 12752
.Or you can go in there with a unmasker and clean house.. I agreed with you some detectors are better than others. BTW, he got a detector you would be proud of. He also digs finds I salivate over. Hoping to go see him the following weekend. It's worth the drive. You would think he's been detecting for 20 years. And only 20 minutes from his house with permission to go whenever he wants without notifying or checking in. I really need to move back to my home state.

I am not very popular either for my posts. I keep saying, and have said over and over and over if you buy say an Equinox or Deus, and use it as a beep and dig detector it's not a whole lot better than say a AT PRO or any upper mid level machine. When i say beep and dig, i am talking about peeps coming from turn on and go machines who want to do the same thing with top end machines, and yes they are better even used like that, but when you learn the true power of say a Dues or NOX your good finds will skyrocket! I get so much flak from users when I tell them the magic is when you learn how to sniff out the iffy signals, and that is where my Deus and NOX have served me so well. I recently dug 6 nails from a plug using my Nox 800 with stock coil before i found the wheat penny in the hole. There is no way My ctx, etrac, f75, at pro, T2, v3i, or any other machine i own would have found that penny. My Deus maybe, but it's the only one i would say might have alerted me to the coin. I wish i were more of a video guy, but i just want to hunt and not mess with cameras! Research is KEY, but I can still go to my local spots that have been pounded and pull targets with my Deus and Nox when i do not have a researched out spot to hunt, which means i am productive all the time where ever i have the time to go hunt.

Calabash, I'm not sure where you find the time to help all these lost souls, but there's surely a place in heaven for you. Your a true Shepard in this hobbie, I enjoy your videos and look forward to the next. Good luck out there buddy.

Location is a good spot to start but you really have to know what your detector is telling you either by sound most reliable and ID..
I only have a equinox now I use to run a Deus also I consider myself pretty good with the nox and I take my time and cover an area very slowly and I’m amazed sometimes how there are still some very nice coins to be found I just pulled a 1917 walker my oldest walker to date it was8”-9” down in a school yard along the edge by a old path that went through a stonewall..,
I seriously doubt many would have dug the signal it was not good at all but I know better I had just dug a ring just before that was sterling which was a 25 on the nox which I thought was a dime ...
When in doubt dug it you may surprise yourself I know I’ve been surprised a lot!
Mark

Do you care? How does your metal detector stack up to others? How to become a better detectorist? How to be more successful at finding the old stuff? If you do care check this video out...
I hunted for many years with lots of machines, and did well over the years both in water and on land. Never dived, though. Just walked and waded. I would say that the old beep and dig machines did me the best, but I had good luck with finding "virgin" sites, so my luck may have been attributed to the site more so than the machines.