Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What Metal Detector?

Cos

I live in Wisconsin and have been metal detecting for 38 years and am mostly a coin hunter. I have used virtually every brand of detector on the market, and many that are long gone. I am a bit of a chicken about asking for permission to hunt on private property so I end up hunting mainly town, city, school and county parks. In the past 5-6 years I have witnessed my annual count of older silver coins decline to less than 10 per year even though I hunt almost every day.

Last year I had the opportunity to purchase a Minelab Safari as I always wanted to try one of the 28 frequency (FBS) units. Lo and behold, my yearly silver count increased to over 50 silver coins. I was ecstatic! Unfortunately, this spring, at 71 years of age, my right arm can take no more. The pain from swinging the Safari is absolutely intense. I can barely raise my right arm above my head. I can

Cos said:
I live in Wisconsin and have been metal detecting for 38 years and am mostly a coin hunter. I have used virtually every brand of detector on the market, and many that are long gone. I am a bit of a chicken about asking for permission to hunt on private property so I end up hunting mainly town, city, school and county parks. In the past 5-6 years I have witnessed my annual count of older silver coins decline to less than 10 per year even though I hunt almost every day.
I've been detecting now 47 years, I have owned and/or evaluated almost every popular coin and relic hunting detector, and most gold nugget oriented detectors. I do ask permission to access private property, but especially hunt urban sites like you. The silver coin count has been dwindling for far more than the past 5-6 years, at least everywhere I hunt. It was strong and steady during the latter '60s and through the '70s, then declined by the mid-'80s, along with a steady increase of more modern coins being added as well as newer higher-conductive junk.

My silver coin count is still doing 'OK' when I get out-of-town and work old ghost towns, logging and mining camps/towns, stage stops, railroad stops, old recreation sites that have been out-of-use for several decades now. Much of the access to those sites comes from doing research during the blahs of winter, of which I am sure you get an ample amount in Wisconsin.

Cos said:
Last year I had the opportunity to purchase a Minelab Safari as I always wanted to try one of the 28 frequency (FBS) units. Lo and behold, my yearly silver count increased to over 50 silver coins. I was ecstatic!
I started working with some of the FBS models back in 2001 and have owned at least 5 of the various Explorer models, and have used the Safari a dealer has in recent months. I never had the opportunity to work a site where any of the Explorers (XS, II and SE Pro) really helped me get more old silver coins. Most of the time I have relied on various White's models, until February of 2010 when I started using a Teknetics T2, then march of 2010 when I added a Teknetics Omega to my personal detector arsenal.

Since you have owned a number if different makes and models i would bet that with one or two that you liked, after you got them and started hunting with them more, in many sites your finds (or silver count) increased from what you had been working with. I have seen this happen with a number of people who had used some different make/model detector and then 'graduated' to a Minelab FBS model. I use the term 'graduated' because in their mind, that's what they felt they were doing.

Maybe the FBS Safari did do a better job at finding silver coins and/or other high-conductive coins. Perhaps it was due to the sites you hunted? The time spent using the Safari? Maybe the 11" DD coil was larger or worked better at the locations you worked? It's also possible that the FBS target ID response seemed to suit you well.

What is "missing" so far in information is the overall coin tally compared to before the Safari. Have you found as many coins? How was your 5

I haven't used as many detectors as Monte, and thank goodness I'm not as experienced, comes with age ya know, just kidden brother, not saying your old. But I've used a few, and sold a few back when I was a dealer, and always heard deep old silver, I need a deep machine. Hey sometimes ya do.

But sounds like you have pretty well worked out your old spots, get ya a lighter machine, and some new ground.

Never be afraid to ask, the most that can happen is a big NO, I've heard No, many times, I may ask at ten different places, and get ten NOs, but the next place I ask may be the yes, that gets some old silver.

As Monte replied, research, find a good spot and any decent detector will net you some old coins.

Good luck with your new machine, whatever ya get, hope ya find some oldies.

HH, James

this is essentially correct!.find a "virgin" or very lightly hunted site,
and you can hunt it with anything available in the last 20 years,or so,and
find "tons" just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

What's the worst thing that can happen...........they say no. 75% of my silver now days comes from asking permission to do private property. I'm sure you already are.........but be nicely/cleanly dressed and clean shaven when approaching property owners. And do not wear your digging tools/carry your detector when asking permission. Scares the hell out of people. Offer to look for lost keys, jewelry while you look for coins. A good technique is to ask to do the parking strip in front of the house. Then when your done, knock on the front door and thank them. Then I ask if they would mind if I detect the front yard. By then, they see your not a threat/kook, and permission is easier to get. Once you start asking permission....it gets easier the next time you ask. Easy pickings in public areas are pretty much a thing of yesteryear.
I ask permission to dig holes before I start, and explain how I do the digging technique. If digging is a no go, then its screwdriver extraction.
And never use poor/improper digging techniques that will damage their lawns.

Good luck.

If you have any questions on the f75 or T2 feel free to contact me. Love to help you or answer any questions. Also give you better pricing options. Bart

I got rid of my heavy cz7 and went with the O8 and my silver count has gone up.One thing about theO8 is how quiet and deep it hits on coins.I think both units you are looking at are good light units.

Thanks for the post - great info. I think I understand what you meant...

"I also noted that the Omega would give me more reliable TID and VDI info that the T2 at slightly greater depths."

Are you saying the Omega gave more reliable TID and VDI info at slightly greater depth <i>than</i> the T2?

Thank you and HH - BF

I have an Omega and V3i and though I love the V3i it really bothers my back and it is balanced perfectly. (I DON'T want to give up the V3i so will try to keep my hunts to 3 hours. You might try the same and get a second light detector for most of your use.) If you are having problems I'd say don't take the chance on a VX3, unless you can get your hands on one first. I love the Omega and it hits hard on silver and it is very good in iron. But, the depth is probably a couple of inches behind the detector you are using I'd guess. I think you will consistently find silver coins at 7"-8" with the Omega - if they are there.