Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What should a Metal Detecting club be?

KinTN

When I started thinking about joining a metal detecting club, I kinda assumed that they'd all do similar things. To me a metal detecting club would:
1) have regular meetings in which to discuss club activities, report on expenditures of club dues, plan activities and discuss techniques. And probably a bit of bragging about their recent finds.
2) use the dues to gain access/permission to areas that individuals could not;
3) promote the hobby of MDing to the locals.

So when I went to a local club meeting (name withheld so as not to embarrass them), I was surprised to see that all they did was fuss about the rules for the 'best finds' monthly competition and argue about how to get ready for the next contest. All the dues money was essentially being redistributed to certain (clique-ish) members as prize money. That was it. No organized hunts beyond the semiannual competition where they throw silver dimes over a small field and hunters spend 15 minutes finding them on the surface. No teaching/discussion of techniques or even reviews of available tech. The only fellowship I saw was guys that hunt with each other hanging out together at the eatery. My wife and I were fortunate to sit with another couple that wasn't caught up in the silliness and they said it was like this all the time and they rarely attended the meetings because of it. Bottom line is that there is essentially no reason to join this club unless you like to argue over petty things, are already a member of a clique, or are a total MDing loser who's mommy didn't pay enough attention to them.

I have spoken with several folks since then, both MDers and non MDers, and they all thought that the activities of a club would be pretty much along the lines of what I am thinking a club should be.

Do what do you guys look for in a club. Am I off base here? What are some of the good things you have seen in local clubs?

If you ever watched or raised a bunch of hens, you'll see a similarity.....not a place for me.

Unfortunately most clubs become a form of [size=large]" I find more and better than you do activities".[/size]

Strong competitive people sort of make things happen this way.. and yes..it does become cliquish ,and the same people seem to always find the best stuff ??? It is also very important in some's mind to be the best and win, win, win for recognition..

[size=x-large]You can always run for office and implement changes in the club.[/size] If it's just a clique club..then move on... It takes new blood to remove the stale feel of a club sometimes. Just remember you too can put your own personal needs ahead of others, and in a sense, will it be better if you run it.... It takes compromise and planning to create the perfect for all club.. Your way/my way, might not always be the right way..

At least belonging to a club keeps you in contact with other people who detect. You can often become friends with people who think Like you do..and detect with them and not worry about the hype that goes on at your club..

Elton, there is No Way I'd waste my time trying to improve that bunch of immature adult children. If I HAD to have a club, I'd start one myself and do all the work before I wasted my breath there. And from the responses here, it sounds like most clubs are similar to the one I visited. Its too bad that clubs don't take the tact of trying to do something for their members and community rather than just see what they can get out of the club experience. I got the sense that the "movers and shakers" in this club were relative failures in their 'real lives' and were trying to compensate by showing everyone who's "Really im-Po-tent".

I guess that Metal Detecting is pretty much a solitary experience, tho having a partner nearby after dark on the beach, or in a less than safe area is always a good thing. And I find that I enjoy seeing my hunting partner make a good find at least as much as finding it myself, especially if s/he is someone that I introduced to the hobby. As to the interaction, I find that I learn lots from sites like this and the multitude of videos that are posted on the web. To each his own, I guess.