Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

what sinks faster and why a dime or a quarter?

:yikes: I'll never clean a coin with my mouth again!!!!!
Bryannagirl said:
Makes you think twice about cleaning a coin with your mouth. ;-)

Coin Rescue Inc said:
Bryannagirl said:
Worms not size not density - worms. Bigger coins sink slower because takes more worms. Also mechanical process like being walked on ground being turned, sodding etc... Worms eat dirt decompose coin falls in cavity left by worm, worms get on top of coin poop dirt or die. Coin gets buried slowly. In soil with no worms and no water coins do not sink - in desert coins are found on top of the ground that are very old. I always thought it was the other way till I read the recent article in lost treasures mag - it's worms.

No wonder all the quarters and dimes I find are brown. Worm Poop!

In my experience its how much the grass has been mowed. I find fewer old coins(if any) in the city than I do at farm houses. I have never found a barber or a Indian in the city, however old farm houses really produce Indians and barbers for me. The more the lawn is mowed the deeper the coins. You can just tell by looking at how high the lawn sits above the side walk.

I also hunt at a scout camp and have found silver a 1/2" deep in the dense shade. Just 10 yards away out in the grass in the sun the silver is at least 4" deep.

just my 2 cents