Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

what sinks faster and why a dime or a quarter?

still looking 52

It seems to me that a quarter would sink faster than a dime simply because it weights more at least in water I know it would but in my experience I'm finding dimes at least 1 to 2 inches deeper than quarters. My two brothers and myself have been hunting this wooded area for about 6 months now and most coins we find there are over 50 years old and the dimes seem to be deeper than the quarters and the quarters deeper than the 1/2 dollars.

My 2 cents worth, for the most part I don't think they sink, I think they are covered up. I know your F5 is reading most of our coins from 0 to 3" and my F75 is reading the same coins at 4 to 6". I have come to believer the F5 over the F75.

Big brother Ron in WV

In physics they demonstrate that two different sized balls one heavier, dropped from a Tower will fall and strike the ground at the same time. So weight has little to do with it.
I think the width of the quarter supports it in the soil better than a dime.
It's like a guy wearing snow shoes can walk on top of snow but a guy without sinks deep.
The coins sink most when the soil is saturated with water.
If the soil is grainy sand then that is something else.
Also soil buildup is another factor.
Yesterday I hunted around some 100 year old trees. The soil leading to the trees for a 100 yards was heavy thick clay. When I got to the trees the soil was 100% differant. More like loamy dirt. Digging down 10" I started hitting clay. So vegetation alone adds depth.
Well that is my theory on it.

Who am I to argue with guys from West "by God" Virginia?:rofl:

Just dig 'em and quit worrying how they got there.

Love ya guys.:beers:

I like these kinds of thoughts and observations when a guy is out wandering around outdoors....it leads to invention or insanity!:rofl:

I have noticed when trees start really swaying back and forth, they create a lot of wind, I dont know why trees do this? Excersize? Sometimes even the grass gets involved..:shrug:.
Mud

Those balls of different size and weight MUST be in a vacuum to fall at the same rate--32'/sec/sec. Air resistance would effect the rate of fall in a non vacuum.

Doc, you say if a guy puts his balls in vacuum and jumps off a tower they will both drop at the same time? Like what, a Kirby or a shopvac of some sort?? Sounds like a painful way to prove a point!...:rofl:

I made a set of wings and jumped off the barn once...32'/sec/sec!, although it seemed a lot longer with your Life flashing in front of your eyes.....

Later on I discovered you soon will reach a max/min velocity depending on the size of the presented profile to resistance, I learned that after I got married, by simply answering the age old question:.."Does this dress make me look fat"? :rofl:

I like science in moderation....also liquid fermented grains, although with them moderation does not apply, I am not sure if thats science or chemistry?..somebody else figured it out, and I am just a fan..
Mud

Saw that experiment as a child with a feather and a bowling ball on "You Asked For It" (old TV show) In a vacuum the feather and BB hit the ground at the same time.

There is a science to installing footing under the ground to hold up a building. The footing are wider than the wall. The wider the footing the the more support to prevent sinking.
For coins in the ground the density of the material also plays a part. If a copper and steel penny laid side by side the copper would sink faster. The sizes are the same foot print but copper being heavier would move faster but the soil has to be sand or supper saturated mud.
Speaking of Mud, Hey Mudd hey pass that bottle of scientific fermented liquid grain....

Worms not size not density - worms. Bigger coins sink slower because takes more worms. Also mechanical process like being walked on ground being turned, sodding etc... Worms eat dirt decompose coin falls in cavity left by worm, worms get on top of coin poop dirt or die. Coin gets buried slowly. In soil with no worms and no water coins do not sink - in desert coins are found on top of the ground that are very old. I always thought it was the other way till I read the recent article in lost treasures mag - it's worms.

Bryannagirl said:
Worms not size not density - worms. Bigger coins sink slower because takes more worms. Also mechanical process like being walked on ground being turned, sodding etc... Worms eat dirt decompose coin falls in cavity left by worm, worms get on top of coin poop dirt or die. Coin gets buried slowly. In soil with no worms and no water coins do not sink - in desert coins are found on top of the ground that are very old. I always thought it was the other way till I read the recent article in lost treasures mag - it's worms.

No wonder all the quarters and dimes I find are brown. Worm Poop!

Makes you think twice about cleaning a coin with your mouth. ;-)

Coin Rescue Inc said:
Bryannagirl said:

No wonder all the quarters and dimes I find are brown. Worm Poop!

All advice sounds reasonable except for MUD's advice about jumping off a building with your balls in a vacuum cleaner and seeing if they hit at the same time , you gotta love this forum.

Coins are denser than dirt. As the dirt gets wet and dries, the coins will actually favor one side to sink with the edge leading, like at an angle. The coin then actually slides edge first as the less dense dirt makes way from wet, dry. Cold, warm. While many coins are found at the angle they are sinking, deeper coins become parallel to the ground when the packed dirt becomes almost as dense as the coin. The smaller dime just moves easier and faster over time because of less resistance.

Worms not size not density - worms. Bigger coins sink slower because takes more worms. Also mechanical process like being walked on ground being turned, sodding etc... Worms eat dirt decompose coin falls in cavity left by worm, worms get on top of coin poop dirt or die. Coin gets buried slowly. In soil with no worms and no water coins do not sink - in desert coins are found on top of the ground that are very old. I always thought it was the other way till I read the recent article in lost treasures mag - it's worms.[/quote]

I read that article as well. It made me start paying attention to my finds this year. Assuming a coin was lost close to its year of mint Darwin was pretty darn close, I have noted differences in soil types however which the article did hit on.

I remember a few years ago a similar thread, but here goes anyway.

The principal reason that coins sink is gravity...the force of gravity does not end at the earth's surface, otherwise we would not fall down a mineshaft. That is the principal force at work, making coins sink, gravity.

There are other factors at work which vary the rate at which coins sink...one of those is the density of the soil.e.g. se what happens when you drop a coin on loose sand at the beach...the coin disappears quite quickly...disturb the sand and it sinks even further.

Another factor which affects the rate of sinking in soils is the creatures in the soil, not \just worms, but other tiny creatures which burrow their way through the soil leaving tiny cavities behind them as they go..this makes the work of gravity a bit easier.

Other factors include pressure from people or vehicles walking over the dropped coin (or other article), particularly when the soil is wet, thus making it easier for the pressure exerted from the top to affect the descent of the coin.

With respect to the theory of the build-up of soil through mulch, consider this: just the othre day I was detecting on a footpath near a park. The footpath had grassed soil between the kerb and a metre-wide concrete path with grassed dirt on the other side of the concrete as well. Suffice to say I was detecting on the grass, which was exactly the same level as the concrete path. The coin I found was a 1960 coin which went out of circulation here about 50 years ago, ie there was a currency conversion, and this particular coin was taken out of circulation between 1966 and 1968. The coin was about 5" below the surface of the dirt. Now, if that coin was at that depth due to a build-up of mulch, the top of the soil should have been 5-6" higher than the concrete path....it wasn't, it was still level, and because I grew up in this area, I know that that concrete path has been there for over 60 years, maybe much longer.

One post mentioned the loamy soil round a big tree whre the soil away from the tree was clay...this is not an unusual phenomenom. Over years, if clay is continually mulched, good loamy soil will be produced...thus, something lost in this good soil will sink faster and further than a coin dropped onto clay.

A coin will only sink as far as the density of the coin is greater than the density of the matrix where it is lying, i.e. if it sinks as far as a rock, it will sink no further, as the desnsity of the rock prevents the coin from sinking further.

With respect to the difference to coins of the same density, but of different sizes, the relative rates of sinking should depend on the density of the matrix where they are. eg, in loose sand, I would expect a larger heavier coin to sink faster than a relatively lighter smaller coin, whereas, in a more dense matrix, the smaller coin, due to its size should have an easier passage through the compacted soil, particularly considering the impact on their descent of worms and other creatures. Remember, the force of gravity is the same on both coins, no matter what the size. It is the other factors which will vary the rate of descent. HH

Bryannagirl said:

Yes it is worms. Good article in Lost Treasure magazine a few months back on why coins sink. Charles Darwin wrote about why things sink in the ground and submitted a research paper on the subject way back when. He was laughed at back then but people looking at it now say he was right.