Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What VDI's Does a 14K tennis braclet come in at?

nw1886

I have never found a tennis bracelet and was wondering what they come in at? A friend of a friend just dropped by and say's she lost a bracelet that is 14K, 4 CT total diamond wt. Guess it is a heavy box style, for the segments, and of good quality. If anyone could give me an idea, that would be a big help in finding it for her! Dark,getting late... but I am going to give it a go for a bit.

It may seem a daft question, but what detector will you be searching with?

A Vision, DFX, XLT, Spectrum.....then set your ACCEPT VDI's as low as ZERO.

Minelab EXPs and Etrac, Iron mask out Fe35 to Fe 27 and leave the CON open down to 1.

USE Fe audio mode, with 4 Tones.

AUTO SENS with an average of 16, will give you a range of about 8 inches. (Assuming a recent loss, then it won't be at any depth, but maybe in undergrowth)

Set your audio also to a LONG mode.

All this advice is theoretically OK, but just what kind of reading a randomly orientated chain will produce is any ones guess.

Practicing with any similar item is better than all the written advice.

The most important comment offered, is to search in a disciplined and overlapping manner. Don't walk at a normal forward pace, but rather 6 inch-forward, and concentrate on a thorough, covering scanning method..

I'm sure lots of readers will have an alternative way of explaining matters, but in the end it will be your prowess or diligence in detecting that will be the telling factor.

No one can give precise numbers for such an item, but you can be reasonably sure that they will be between 1 and 30 on a scale of 1 to a 100.

When you detect a charm bracelet for instance, it is the charms which are most detectable.

A chain is more difficult because each circular link is an individual target item, and due to random orientation of one to the others in the chain, then there is some degree of 'cancellation' of the total theoretical reaction. Compare a chain to the same mass of material but formed into a single uniform circular bracelet, i.e. the 'perfect' shape for maximum response.

So it is the 'arrangement' of the metal that is the factor that mostly dictates the 'poor' signal.

Hope you succeed in the task.............TheMarshall.

The two I have found were single digit VDI's. I would set your V3 to accept -10 to +15, reject everything else. Turn the gain and sensitivity way down since your target will be a surface find. I would also ask her if she has another one to test your V with. The audio might be a junky sound or solid because you will be detecting the segments of the bracelet. Three frequency or 22.5 should both work good. Good luck.

XLT, and I'm sure the V3 will report similar results. It will depend on the size, shape, position and total alloy of the target, as well as the depth, the ground matrix it is in, and the search coil used.

If I was after a known lost one using a V3 I'd probably use a similar set-up as I do on the XLT. Accept from -40, use as much Rx (Pre-Amp) gain and Disc. Sens (AC Sens.) as possible while remaining stable, and have the 5.3 Eclipse coil mounted. If not that coil then perhaps a 950. Personally, I'd pass on a Double-D coil.

Overlap, and good luck!

Monte

Why would you want to max out the detector for a recent drop Monte? He would be looking for a fairly large surface find. I wouldn't want to hear every piece of foil in the top 10 inches of the ground. I would also suggest using the largest coil not the smallest for coverage, I would even use a Bigfoot. I don't think separation in the foil range is going to be a problem for a bracelet on top of the ground.
:shrug:

Was great to get up and find the help you guys! Didn't have any luck last night (to dang tired) and only hunted for about half an hour. I'll give it another shot this afternoon. Most likely we'll be running three detectors (going to enlist some help) as this piece is still on top of the ground and with this nice weather we are having, good chance of being very visible. Still have a loaner V3 in my hands, a DFX and a little Classic SL IDX will be the other two. Should be able to get the basics taught to my "newbie" help quick, and find this thing for this gal...hopefully! Thank you guys very much as I wouldn't have accepted quite that low.

We are having an INCREDIBLE stretch of weather (Seattle area). It has been so long that I can't remember the last one? Winter from hell...sure enjoying this!!!!

I found both the ring and chain yesterday (June 2nd) with the V and the newly designed 6X10" coil. The gold chain came in at a vdi of 3 and the Navy ring came in at a vdi of 93 (Sterling Silver). I'm now trying to find the original owner of the ring to return it. Both vdi numbers did not vary more than 1 or 2.......Don

Larry (IL) said:
Why would you want to max out the detector for a recent drop Monte?
First, he said his friend just dropped by, not that she recently lost it. Also, his question was with regard to the VDI range he might expect.

I've found an assortment of gold bracelets over the years, and sometimes, whether just out hunting or on a contract search, I've had to deal with tall grass or weeds, small brush, building structures, and some very mineralized ground. Frequently, these kinds of things are not only challenging due to the ground minerals, but make me have to hunt with the coil farther from the ground surface than I would like. Thus, I run with a higher sensitivity for best performance.

Larry (IL) said:
He would be looking for a fairly large surface find.
Again, I've found my share and they are not always large. Yes, I've plucked some dandy tennis bracelets, but I've also seen some that were more difficult to find. Some are smaller, and due to the nature of a bracelet's size and shape, they can be more difficult to find and not really present a big target to disrupt the field.

Larry (IL) said:
I wouldn't want to hear every piece of foil in the top 10 inches of the ground.
Careful now, you might sound like those "dimes at 14" and 16" Minelab Explorer guys! :rofl: Seriously, we're not going to find 10" deep foil, and it's seldom that deep anyway. Another reason to run with a higher Pre-Amp/Rx and AC/Disc. Sensitivity is that it allows you to sweep slower and that can increase performance, especially if hunting in 'bad ground.'

Larry (IL) said:
I would also suggest using the largest coil not the smallest for coverage, I would even use a Bigfoot. I don't think separation in the foil range is going to be a problem for a bracelet on top of the ground. :shrug:
From his post I couldn't tell if the site might be trashy or not. I've hunted for bracelets lost on a sand beach, but there the popular fire pits with all the foil, bottle caps, melted aluminum cans, pull tabs, etc. A smaller coil is a better pick to work in and around the junk. Yes, I would remove it, but it helps to isolate it, and pinpoint it, so I can work the site easier.

These were just some of my opinions based upon my approaches and success afield looking for gold jewelry through the years. Note, too, that I said 'stable' operation, so a person shouldn't go overboard.

Monte

Wife's a secretary at a school so sometimes I get asked if I can find something in the yard. Sometimes I find it, sometimes I don't. My current weapon of choice does not belong in this V3 category but I will add that I take a hand held pinpointer. When the detector beeps, locate center and then grid that target beep center and a few inches around with the pinpointer. If the pinpointer doesn't hit it move on. The pinpointer helps to grab recent drop surface items hidden by grass and ignore most targets that have worked their way under the surface.
Good luck!
tvr

Well gents...gave it another go and nothing yet. (So dang busy that givin' it just little short hunts.) I know it is still there as this area does not get foot traffic and she has it narrowed down to about 3000 sq ft. My Bigfoot needs some work or I'd be using that.

Turned the big 50 today! So no 'tectin this eve...all you can eat seafood wins out! Thanks for the help all. I have a good feeling about finding this.

In case no one mentioned, Use prospecting mode next time out with two tone setup.

That's how I setup my vision searching for gold jewerly.

Paul (Ca)

Hope you had a fun B-Day.

Captain Ron:thumbup: