Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What Wuz It --- Before I scrubbed too hard?

nwdetectorist

What Wuz It --- Before I scrubbed too hard?
[attachment 250513 button.jpg]
I detected this military button several years ago, and am wondering what it is.
It is just under 3/4' inch in diameter.
Sorrry/no back marking because the back is completely rusted/crusted away.

Thanks,

nwdetectorist
TOO MUCH DIRT --- NOT ENOUGH TIME

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-Gold-Tone-US-Navy-Military-Eagle-Anchor-Star-Coat-Uniform-Button-/370618191567?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564a90cecf

thanks very much
you are right on the money
I looked for several hours online/did not even think of using eBay as a way to do my research

nwdetectorist

I don't think its actually military. I found one just like it and couldn't ID it on any military button site. Here's the answer I got....

Your button is definitely a civilian "Fashion" imitation of an actual US Navy button. Among various other differences between the actual US Navy buttons and yours, note the shape of the wing-tops. They are VERY rounded on your Fashion button. The civillian imitations are still being manufactured and sold today. You can buy them a fabric-&-sewing-supplies stores, such as JoAnn Fabrics.

The back on the military buttons will be brass according to other responses I got.

Thanks lsm,

I wondered about the lack of sharp edges.
Of course, there was a lot more detail before I scrubbed it off:(
On the other hand, the eBay link response from ojm bc shows a lot of roundness too.

I have found other military buttons and they were a lot sharper in detail as well.
So, I will just have to pretend I found something cool:)

Thanks,

nwdetectorist

TOO MUCH DIRT --- NOT ENOUGH TIME

:tesoro:

is it intact brass with a backmark on it? This would help the ID. I think usually the tinback ones that pretty much rust away are civilian.
Neal

NealNoIN said:
is it intact brass with a backmark on it? This would help the ID. I think usually the tinback ones that pretty much rust away are civilian.
Neal
The OP said 'no back marking because the back is completely rusted/crusted away.'