Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Whatizit

[attachment 326598 coinphoto1a.JPG]

[attachment 326599 coinphoto2a.JPG]

Dug this out of the surf down here on the Gulf here in Florida. Anyone have a clue on what it might be? Looks interesting.

Looks like a quarter to me. But seriously ya got to find out if it's gold. Than go from there.

I would say that it's a Spanish Cob. Can't tell if it's real or a reproduction. You need to have it looked at by a reputable coin dealer.

looks like a repro SCobb It should be marked somewhere on the coin. It's hard to see...

If it was in this condition when you dug it I'd have to say it's a reproduction or fake even if it's not marked as one . That's because I see NO signs of age whatsoever . Even if you polished it up it has to much detail left and shows little wear after spending century's in the sand and salt and the deeper parts of it are to perfect. IMHO , Woodstock

Regardless, it is still cool find. Agree that you need to run it by a reputable dealer. Until you do, you won't know for sure.

Geo: Here's one I found in the Caribbean. I almost passed-out when I saw it In my scoop. But the color was off and it does not weight enough to be real gold. Later I saw them in the gift shops made into key rings and necklaces. But by all means your's might be REAL. Have it looked at by a Expert. Good Luck HH Jack

I had a chat with my brother and he told me that on his last trip to Florida he watched beach goer's tossing what he thought was change on the beach . He doesn't detect but he observed were one of the coins landed and it wasn't spendable change but a fake replica of a cob . When he told a bartender later and showed him the coin he was told that the locals do this and get a kick watching detectorist's like us find them and freak out . Also remember , not all replica's are marked as so .
Why pay a coin shop first when you can test the coin with a magnet and if it doesn't stick then check for Silver content first and then if it's not plated and is really Silver there is a strong chance it's real . Then pay for the authentication .
I still feel it's a reproduction do to it's condition ... no age patina or signs of being pummeled by sand and sea for century's .... Woodstock

I bet dessert than a month:
It is a replica, made by casting, and pretty shoddy.
For the rest, it is a good find. :clapping:
But you all know that the Caribbean is full of pirates?:rofl:

:cheers:

Thanks for all the feedback. It does not stick to a magnet. However, looking through a jewelers loop there seems to be a ridge around the outer edge and a bit of a burr that was probably a pour gate. Dug it out of the surf around knee deep water. I myself am in the repo camp. Has a nice coin feel to it. May end up a conversation piece more than anything... Thankx again, Geo