Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What's In Your Field Kit?

sstephenson

I just purchased a new Whites MXT detector. It's been nearly 30 years since I last did any detecting, and I'm really looking forward to getting back into the hobby. Since its been a while, I thought I'd ask a really basic question. What do you consider essential gear that you carry with you ino the field? Thanks in advance!

Belt mounted Lesche digging tool.

Belt mounted pinpointer.

Small backpak with extra water bottles, small first aid kit, cell phone, flashlight, spare batteries, plastic topped containers (two nested)

coin pouch, small trash bag for junk, a pair of neoprene garden gloves with cloth back, foam knee pad, small piece of flexible plastic to place dirt and plug on while digging.

Map of your area, card with your name address, phone number, emergency information. A brass probe or screwdriver for shallow digs and probing.

Most important is a couple of small bottles of Jack Daniels for break time,,,,

There is a lot of truth and humor in Ed's list, but the essentials are a small handheld digger, (no shovels) and a rag, towel or plastic to put your dirt on while digging so you don't make a mess out of your recovery. A recovery apron like a cheap cloth nail apron at hardware store to separate your trash and treasures is a must. The rest of the items on Ed's list, you can add as time and necessity dictate. You can get started for $10 , but easily spend over $200 for quality products depending on your budget and needs.

Welcome back to the hobby and to the Findmall forums.

I have a few things i keep in the truck.... extra coil, pinpointer, batteries, handmade digger, sand scoop, extra gloves, and an extra trowel, since i tend to break one occasionally. Otherwise.... if im park hunting i have a nail apron with two leather hammer holders attached on each side. I have a fiscker digger from wally world, a butcher knife to cut sod, a trowel to remove dirt and a pair of gloves. I put the fiscker in the hammer holder... attach an EARTH magnet to it and both the knife and the trowel pop on the magnet.... there ya go. I have an inline pinpointer. I use the heavy duty digger in the field or woods, but its only 24" long with a blade 9" long the same width as my digger.... made it from and old spade.

Dew

I wouldn't load yourself down with too much stuff unless that is the way you like to hunt. Would recommend that you get yourself a good set of headphones, a quality coin pouch which has a "zippered" pocket for your coin finds and also has pockets to hold both your digging tool and coin probe along with a pocket to hold extra batteries and a few misc. items. Really like the one made by Minelab. Like said previously, having a belt mounted pouch for your trash is helpful too, I find mine at resale shops. A "quality" belt mounted pin-pointer is a necessity, Garrett's Pro-Pointer is one of the most popular ones. A towel is needed to wipe your hands on and at least two waterproof knee pads are needed for when the first one breaks while out in the field. Back at the truck I have a large duffle bag for all my extras such as coils, trowels, headphones, knee pads and so forth, along with a cooler with food and drink.

I am a woods hunter:

Propointer, right hand pocket
Lesche 80T relic pro shovel, sharpened (for roots and bears)
Small nylon fiber hand shovel, right cargo pocket
Paper towels, for personal use and for wrapping up relics to keep them safe.
Fanny pack with water holders, inside included matches, bug spray, paper towels, and tazer
Occasionaly my hat cam (veho muvi)
Cell phone with gps and hd video capabilities, left hand pocket

That's about it.

It depends on where I am hunting, but am an advocate of going light. For parks, small blade trowel and towel in my left hand, two pocket nail apron for trash and treasure and pin pointer (of late) on my belt. And I do carry my detector, too.:)HH jim tn

jim tn said:
And I do carry my detector, too.:)HH jim tn

I was waiting for that one:crylol:

Thanks all for your suggestions. Good stuff. A pinpointer seems to be a common theme here. Any suggestions on a make/model? I've never used one.

Steve

Bear spray, in the city or out. Don't leave home without it. Will spray about 20 to 30 ft. Good for dogs, cats, cows, dear, moose, bear, or any 4 or 2 legged animal. It will give you time to get out there.
Keep safe.
Willard in Spokane

Good suggestion. Here in southern California, the most dangerous thing on two legs also has opposable thumbs. Fortunately bear spray generally works on those critters as well :thumbup:

Go for the Garrett Pro-pointer. The thing works great. Never leave for a hunt without it, makes recovery alot faster. Depending on where i'm going I take my Minelab backpack with all my stuff. Works great when hiking out in the woods. Belt mounted Minelab digger, belt mounted Pro-pointer, belt mounted finds bag(Garrett), Knee pads, gloves, flash light, camera, detector manual and extra batteries. When not hiking out to my spot I can just take the back pack all ready loaded and put it in the car with the detector and i'm ready.

I don't know about you guys, but Motrin/Tylenol and the like are always with me or close by in my truck. Sure sucks to have an bad headache/backache or other monster ruin your day of detecting!

Oh yeah, good point on the asprin. I've got into the habit of taking two before I leave the house.

Always take a moment to think about your up coming hunt. How far from your truck/car you'll be. Type of hunt, coins or relic or both. How much your packing can play in how long your swinging. So leave the kitchen sink at home! The basics haven't changed since you last hunted. Your kit will come together in a short time as the need arises over a few hunts. Always think safety. The best thing to have with you is a detecting partner. Joe

Great post Joe...... :clapping:

I keep a cheap all purpose brush ( one of those 1 dollar brushes with a wood handle) with my gear so at the end of my hunt i brush away all the dirt off the coil area and take off my coil cover and brush off the dirt there also . Something i do after each hunt. also bug spray repellent.

Mine is more of a 'bare bones' setup. I carry a brass probe, my lesche, propointer, and a small bandanna for when working in manicured areas. (for piling the dirt on.) Carry them in a small nylon pouch that I picked up at lowes. Has a compartment that I use as a trash pouch, a divided pouch that I use for my good finds, a pocket that my lesche fits in, and 2 loops- one that the propointer fits in, and the other with my cloth rolled up and stuffed in. It also has a carabiner clip that I attach my gloves to when I'm not wearing them. I also keep my cell phone with me at all times. I probably should add a first aid kit, as I always hunt alone.
HH
Darren

Bears, will let you go if you hand them a token bottle of Jack...:rofl:

Looked over my list again and while it seems like a lot it's really not. Most of the stuff is in the pack all the time.

The gloves will save you from nasty cuts and scrapes as well as ringworm and othe dirt denizons. The pads is for your old knees, And that plastic piece can be folded into a funnel to slide dirt back in your hole after you remove that $20.00 Gold Piece you spotted..

Strip to the bare necesities if you must but I hate returning to my truck to get that dad blasted xx!!mwph, Besides with my ML Safari I'm gonna find something everytime.. Plan a lot and do more MD..

Luck out there and stay away from drunk bears..