Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What's the best sand scoop for the beach?

mikezap

Just curious about which scoop the serious beach hunters use. Would be used mostly for on the shore, and the shallow water. Thanks!

Generally you want something strong that you can lean into to dig. You can go aluminum or stainless steel. RTG makes some good aluminum scoops that are quite popular on Florida beaches. However my vote for the best scoop would be one of the Stealth scoops by Sunspot. Get one with a carbon fiber handle and you have a relatively light weight but super strong scoop with a lifetime warranty.

Second vote for a stealth scoop by sunspot.

I used the sand scoop below both in the dry/wet sand, where it did fairly well, and in the ocean, where it had difficulty recovering the target. The smallish bucket and large wire grid made it hard to get the target even after many attempts and small jewelry always ended up slipping out. To be fair, that wasn't what it was designed to do.
IMG_0420.jpg

So, I switched to the Stealth 990ix with slotted backplate to catch small jewelry (it works). It drains fast, is super light with a sturdy carbon fiber handle and the bucket is designed to last (plus lifetime warranty). Was it expensive? Yes, waaay too expensive. But it is so nice to recover everything super fast and painlessly both in the water and on land. You could get a different scoop but I don't think you'll get a better one.

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

Here we go again. There are several good ones out there imo.

I love my Sunspot. Best warranty and great people to deal with.

I use one of the T Rex sandscoops sold out of Raritan NJ. I can't imagine it ever breaking down.

It really is a Ford/Chevy kind of question. But I agree with the posters using the Steath. The benefit of the Stealth...although heavier...is that it works on all kinds of bottom very well. It's pointed nose easily penetrates dry or wet sand but if you hit a beach that has rocks, clam or oyster shell...it will go through them as well. the same cannot be said for the soft, blunt nosed aluminum scoop. The aluminum scoop is lighter and will penetrate dry sand easily and wet sand ok.and in my case....the whole scoop is wayyy lighter.
this is all IMHO
Kieth

I know this is not what you are looking for, this is one I made for Scuba Diving. I made it because I wanted something white in color due to the stained water I dive in, I wanted all plastic so I can wave my detector over it and I can tell if there is a target within the scoop. It works well and I have found several items with it. It does not work well in mucky bottom lakes but is awesome in sandy bottoms. The cost to make it was about ten dollars bought from Home Depot in the plumbing dept. If anyone would like better photos or have questions let me know.

UWMM

http://www.stealthscoop.com/price-list-720i-790i.html,-----stealth makes a good scoop.its not cheap but you have options in its design.It cuts thru packed wet sand and sifts out easily.I shortened the handle and added a `T` on top that makes it easier to pull it out of the wet sand.Works great for me...Ralph