Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What's This?

RSB

A couple of days ago I found this small knife in a park and I would like to know if anyone has an idea as to its purpose. The knife was very sharp and required only a little touch-up to put in shaving sharpness. It would be very dangerous in the hands of a child so I don't think it was intended to be a toy. I was wondering if it was used in a display to represent the full size version. There are no markings on the knife. Any guesses?

It kind of looks like what's called a Tang Knife .... I've seen similar ones used for skinning deer, but with a slightly different handle. Yours is very small though ..

Yep that's a skinner knife!

Thats a mighty small trailing point skinner. I've made small "three finger" skinners named that because there's only room for three fingers on the handle but that's even smaller!

in prison they call that a SHANK! :) on more serious note glad you got it before a kid got hurt. happy hunting !

I find knives in parks almost every time I go. I would guess they use them to slice birthday cakes and leave them behind.

[size=large]strange there's no made in ??? on the blade at least. i'd never try to skin any animal with it. my first thought, given where you found it and it looks so cheap, was it belonged to a crook or rapist or someone who wants to intimidate someone else. as noted already, it's much too dangerous to leave in the park. glad you picked it up.

HH[/size]

NOW I remember where I've seen one of those little buggers. I've seen them included with small cheese assortments! Emphasis on small. I guess you could clean your fingernails with it after a day of digging.

Small blades are nice for skinning work...cheese cutter, it looks like its ss,...we do find lots of knives huh?

If people would get thier heads out of you know where,they should be happy to see us cleaning up the parks.They just won't see.

I want to see a picture of this in your hand.

It has a 11/4" handle on it,,,,,,and the blade about the same. That is amazingly small and hard to put into context with a tape measure only.

I was thinking it was a bigger knife at one time and someone cut it down,,,maybe because it broke. Would have had to cut the handle down and the blade. But what is a tiny knife like that good for??? Opening a letter maybe!!!

I'd say it's either for fine skinning work, such as in taxidermy, or for taking out the spinal cord of someone you don't like.

John

I was thinkin surgery also. Like maybe in the old days before scalpels.

Thanks for interest and comments on the knife. The picture is in response to Flash5153's request for a better scale representation. I think it still looks larger than it really is. Sailorman I think it will only qualify for a "two finger tip" version. It might have been intended for a skinning knife but how many people skin humming birds? I am still guessing so thanks again.

The thing that gets me is it shows fine workmanship. More than someone would make for bad uses.

John

It is definitely not a cheese knife!

Little skinning knives like that are used for skinning out the cape and face on animals like deer, you need a little knife for the delicate skinning work on the face, around the eyes and such. However I think that some knife makers take things to extremes, I have seen smaller with a ring for the index finger to go through and you use your thumb to guide the knife.

It is a bit too finicky for me, then again I do have two small Victorinox turning knives for cutting vegetables.

BTW your index finger needs to go on the back of the blade to steer it!

Nice find.

Thylacine I think you are getting close to my hang-up with this knife which is the size and shape of the handle. I was holding the knife in that manner so the wooden grips would show in the picture. By holding it the way I was, it has a tendency to be unstable with the blade trying to rotate from the vertical to the horizontal. You are correct that if it is used for cutting, the thumb and forefinger should be up on the blade. There are knifes with small blades that do just fine. Consider the X-ACTO cutting tools. Their blades are both smaller and larger than this one. The big difference between this knife and the X-ACTO tools is the handle. X-ACTO tools all have handles that provide good control for carving or other intricate work. Because of the small handle, I still am guessing that it is a scale model of a larger knife and it is intended for display or it is for very stealthy purposes for which I am not familiar.

I just had another look at the images blown-up and I think you have someone's custom coffin grip skinning knife. Is there a stamp on the blade?

It could be a kit knife or some home knife maker showing how well they can build a small knife. Problem is then they get that small they are more of a nuisance than a tool. If I were going to skin out a head mount I would opt for a blade that's a little bigger and a larger handle. The micro-knives that were popular a few years back really were very impractical and I think that most were purchased with self defence in mind rather than as a working tool. I carry a little Gerber folder clipped the my hydration pack when I am cycling, it is a small knife, not much good as a tool but it is wicked sharp and will cut to the bone,

If I was still in the army the little Gerber would be in my escape and evasion tin with a few other goodies.

Nice find, but, in my opinion impractical as a knife.