Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Whats up with the nox coil

sube

I have seen where the edges of this coil are so hot I can see a coin that's 4 inches deep now the ctx will see it at 2 inches .This leads to poor pinpointing same as a surface coin have to lift the coil .When you lift the coil the signal go's away but if you go forward or side to side you well get it again finding the true center of the target .

Now I have dug bbs with the 11 inch ctx coil at 3 inches which is pretty sensitive but the nox wow I dug a 3/16 copper washer at 5 1/2 inches
I am wondering how small of stuff we will be digging when the 6 inch coil comes out maybe we will have to lower sensitivity down lol.

Even with that hot edge when the target is under the coil it seems to act like a smaller coil ? making it better at pinpointing .
I believe that's why people are having a hard time pinpointing just have to get used to the new coil . sube

Sube --

I totally agree with you. This is the hottest coil "at the edges" that I've ever seen. This happens to me some with the 17" on the CTX, but for an 11" coil, this is the hottest coil at the edges that I've ever seen, and I DEFINITELY think this is why some are having pinpointing trouble. Like you said, lifting the coil a bit, solves the issue, allowing you to find the true center of the target. But I can see where for a rather new Equinox coil, there would be pinpointing issues caused by the "hot coil edges."

Steve

I just use the wiggle back method. Usually gets me within a 2" dia. circle.

Architex said:
I just use the wiggle back method. Usually gets me within a 2" dia. circle.

Still have to locate the center target to wiggle back if it's 4 inches or less it acts like a surface coin .sube

Anything that seems to be on or near the surface, I don't try to get an accurate pinpoint. I just get it close and then use my pinpointer to find the actual target.

BUT......... for us water guys a HOT HALO is a HUGE plus. miss and inch miss a mile out there. You loose about half that halo once the coil hits the salt water.......helps with PPing...... but you best improve your coil control.

dewcon4414 said:
BUT......... for us water guys a HOT HALO is a HUGE plus. miss and inch miss a mile out there. You loose about half that halo once the coil hits the salt water.......helps with PPing...... but you best improve your coil control.

+1
The ability to cover ground fast in fresh water lakes will be a bonus. Lots of competition out there.

I believe it isn't so much the coil but the fact that the equinox is a high gain detector. This means that it is more sensitive to small objects. The entire detecting field is very sensitive. It can be a little difficult trying to isolate targets when in trashy sites. I just hit the pin point and map out where everything is and the pin point will help you size up the targets. Then I know where and what to center the coil over.

It is sensitive...... BUT...... its got a coil HALO like a Sov out of the water. You almost have to put the scoop behind you.

Yes its a little weird to get used to. There ways to help solve issues but hunting shallow target dense ground can be a pain , and this also messes with target ID's on shallower objects. Targets get averaged together. Probably just the price you pay for getting such good depth

ohiochris said:
Yes its a little weird to get used to. There ways to help solve issues but hunting shallow target dense ground can be a pain , and this also messes with target ID's on shallower objects. Targets get averaged together. Probably just the price you pay for getting such good depth

If your target IDs are getting averaged together, then you need to increase your recovery speed.

Jason in Enid said:

If your target IDs are getting averaged together, then you need to increase your recovery speed.

I normally hunt with that at 3 , the highest setting. The problem is the edges of the coil are so sensitive that anything up to 3 or 4 inches deep gets a solid hit from the coil edge , and when that happens at the same time there is something at the center the detector cant make up its mind. Same reason it often wants to pinpoint a nearby target instead of the one you are interested in.

It is better in wet beach than on dry sand, on dry sand i can't use the wiggle method because by dragging back the sound won't stop until you have gone by the target by 3 to 4 ", i'm use to having the target stop just at the tip of the coil and then dig. A little different but getting use to it some.

It is amazing in the salt water as stated above Beach 1 until noisy then over to Beach 2 and all is quiet. What is really amazing is how deep this machine is. Like most of the detectors out there it still can't do everything well so you must have a second unit for other hunting.