Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What's Your "Cache" Policy Among Fellow Hunters?

Critterhunter

I haven't been lucky to find one myself yet. Well, perhaps a few "kiddy" caches of tokens and other odd things that were obviously buried together as pirates treasure. Recently one friend did find a cache of game tokens from like the 50's or so. Must have been thirty or so of them in one hole, obviously buried as a pretend fortune to hide. He asked me if we should split them based on our "cache policy" (see below). I said no thanks but if that was all silver then it'd be a different story. :biggrin:

Anyway, among my closest hunting friends we've got a policy in place among us. If we are hunting with each other at a site and any one of us finds a cache of some sort then it's to be split among us evenly. Just a good way to increase the odds of us finding one someday is the way I look at it. The "rule" is that if it's buried in some kind of container it's a cache, or that if so many coins are found together in one spot that it obviously wasn't a pocket spill then it's a cache too. We haven't nailed down what does and doesn't qualify, but my closest hunting friends are guys I've known for years and so we trust each other, knowing nobody will argue if the other guy thinks a small amount of coins found together qualifies as a cache.

Just curious if others have any such agreement in place. It's kind of like pooling your resources for a better chance to win the lottery. Just make sure you put it into very descript terms as to what qualifies if you don't trust the guys you hunt with. Money does funny things to people. :biggrin: I can attest to that after my own brother and sister shanked the rest of the family out of a large inheritance, but that's another story. Just saying I learned my lesson well after that one. If you don't trust somebody then get it in writing.

Why? I remember reading a while back about one guy who was asked to find some family caches on a farm. He located at least one if not more (from memory) and the agreement ahead of time was to split it evenly. Once one jar of silver was found the home owner grabbed it right out of his hands and ran into the house, shutting the door and saying to get off his property.

My few close hunting friends? Let's just say I trust them more than I ever trusted my own brother and sister, so I don't feel the need to worry about such things if it ever arises. You just "know" in the back of your head who you can trust and who you can't when it comes to such matters IMO. I always knew they'd scr*w the rest of the family in the back of my mind, so it wasn't too surprising when it happened. Two less people to worry about buying Christmas presents for is the way I look at it, or asking me to move things for them with my truck. :biggrin: If I ever get lucky enough to find a fortune (I know, the odds are like getting struck by lightning), while I'd help out the rest of my brothers and sisters, there would be two less dinner plates at the celibration. :biggrin:

Real sorry to hear about disputes with your family members - over material things. We live and learn.

On the "Cache Policy" with my detecting friends: If it's of significant value - Over 10 silver coins or multiple gold coins, the finder has the first pick and then we alternate picks. If it's an odd number - good for the finder.

If one of us digs a cache of Memorial Cents or clad - good for him!

Oh, and I know what you mean about Huskies. I had a Siberian, Gretzkie, who I'll NEVER forget.

Happy Hunting
Blind Squirrel