Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

whatsit?

garwadd1

Hello
I found this coin/token? last year while searching an old amusement park site from the turn of the century.It is made from an Indian head penny as you can still see the remains of the wreath and shield on the Reverse. On the Obverse there is no image but the coin has been counter stamped 1884 84 2 1/2 The 84 stamp looks like 34 but under magnification it is 84. Around the outer rim it has been drilled through with 8 small holes almost evenly spaced from each other. I found this near where there used to be a post office. I am trying to find out what it is and what it was used for. I have sent these pictures to Mark Parker of Western and Eastern Treasures magazine. He was unable to identify it. He also sent it to a token collector who had no idea either.I have it posted on 2 other forums and have been told it was a store token or a scale weight. I weighed it on a postage meter and got .28 or slightly more than a quarter oz.It has no gilding on it as I have been told it's a counterfeit 2 1/2 dollar Gold coin.Has anybody out there ever seen anything similar or have found one of these too? I wonder what the significance of the date is? What was the value of a quarter oz of gold in 1884? could some one have been weighing gold with this?
garwad1

I assume you weighed it at .28 oz? A non worn Indian Head cent is 3.11 grams or 0.109702 oz.
The weight is not correct to weigh 2 1/2 dollar gold coins, at least from 1840-1907. The correct weight would be 0.147445 oz or 4.18 grams.
A large cent weighs 0.384133 oz and a smoothy with 8 holes drilled in it could very well weigh about 1/4 oz. Either it is not an indian head cent or the weight is not accurate. It does look like an IH cent to me, I see the wreath, shield and part of the 'N' in cent.

Can you re-weigh it or place another coin next to it for size comparison? It may be a mute point, seems it is an IH cent. The weight would only be critical for speculating it being a weight for scales.

I had it weighed at 2 coin dealers today both of them said .28 oz or 2.8 grams. neither one said they have ever seen anything like it. It was verified that it was made from an indian head penny by both dealers.

2.8 grams is only 0.0987671 ounces.
You claim it is .28 ounces and the weight was verified by multiple coin dealers. It would take about 3 indian head pennies to weigh nearly a third of an ounce.
A US quarter weighs less than that at .20 ounces.