Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Wheat Capped Hard Times Jews Harp and Spiders!!!

Dutchtoga

First time detecting in months and what a day. Went to a new spot across the road from where I had really good luck at a cellar hole spent 3 hours with many first. The wheat penny 1916 was the first find followed by the 1831 half dime. I thought the next target was a LC but after a quick cleaning it turned out to be a 1837 Centre Market 14th Ward New York Hard Times Token the Jews Harp was only a few feet away. The spiders were the worst part of the hunt. They seemed to be webbed up everywhere from tree to tree. Big ugly and had horns or spikes on their backs. I've never seen one before. It's going to take more than those spiders to keep me from going back. HH Dutch

Very nice finds!:thumbup::clap:

In the fall we also get an over abundance of large spiders and there webs but non that Iv'e seen look as intimidating as that baby.:unsure:

I love the half dime. That is one scary looking spider.

Really nice finds.....congrats. I really like the 14th Ward token!!
Just FYI, the spider is a Spiny Orb Weaver ( Gasteracantha fornicata ). They are known for spinning very large webs, usually from low hanging tree limbs to the ground (don't ask me how they accomplish this!). The webs can be in the neighborhood of 40 feet wide with an 'orb' portion in the center. As alien and grotesque as they may look initially, they are really quite beautiful when you compare them to other arachnids. I have some pictures of a few that have appeared about this time of year in my yard. I think your picture makes it look much larger than it really is (maybe you found a really big one?), the ones I saw were only about 3/8" across the wide part of the back. They come in different colors, if interested, look here: http://skeptoid.com/blog/2013/03/29/my-fascinating-backyard-spiny-backed-orb-weaver-spider-spider-myths/
BTW, they are harmless to humans.

Nice finds !!! :clapping:

Great finds, especially the half dime. I had that same spider on my arm this afternoon. Here in southern NY they are all over the woods in the warm weather.