Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Where do I begin?

A

Anonymous

I'd like to get started but really have no experience with GPS. Im basically a 'hopefully get lucky at this spot" kind of guy ( and many times, not too lucky..) But I would seriously like to get a decent GPS system and start some serius research. How would I go about getting old maps for my neck of the woods with Lat. & Long. to cross reference to newer maps and GPS? Ive tried to research on the web but havent really gotten satisfactory results. I could defineately use some guidance as far as getting it together to actually give me some results.Again..I am willing to ;earn, but always thought it would be beyond me, I hope Im wrong. Thanks for taking the time to read, and HH to all...Chris NY

Here's a link to software you can buy. I thought Ozi Explorer was a shareware program but may not be any longer.

http://www.gpszone.ca/

I use Fugawi for my old maps. The GPS included with the Minelab Explorer Special offer right now works fine. Tested one out today. It's just a Garmin Geko 101. Your homework is just that. Done at home with any old map you can find. Stick the lat-longs in your pocket with the GPS and you're on your way.

Here's the Minelab offer right now. Not telling you to get a Minelab but look how affordable GPS's have become... http://www.minelab.com/specials.htm

Hopefully Andrew will be around tomorrow to set you guys straight.. :)

Guvner..

got the ExplorerII , so I cant take advantage of that offer. I saw one at BJ's wholesale club,gonna check it out.Also will check ot the site you gave me for map help. Thank you for taking the time to help set me up for some adventure. This forum is great,every seems like they really want to help. Everyone have a great Memorial Day, God Bless America!

Please see the post "My first receiver" which I started to type as my reply to you but decided that others may benefit from reading it.

Andrew