Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Where do you draw your FE line

rickinsdakota

I finally will get out with my new CTX this weekend. I have an Etrac that I used 2 tone ferrous on and loved it. I know that FE line is at 17 on the Etrac. I have been reading posts that claim some deep coins can bounce into the low 20's FE. From some of you experienced detectorists what are you setting the FE line at in 2TF and 4TF.Thanks.

Okay, here's my thoughts. On etrac I stuck a couple nice silver all the way down to 27fe reading. They were both over 9 inches deep in an iron patch using a 10x12 sef coil. On the CTX the farthest down I've locked on a good target was a reading of 24ferrous a musket ball down deep and I was operating in ferrous coin target separation. I feel like 25 is far enough on the CTX while running in ferrous coin target separation. In the other target separation modes I would still opt for the 27 ferrous line in setting up my disc. Remember your ground will be a deciding factor. In sweet ground you will probably never ever see a good target show over 22 ferrous with the CTX in ferrous coin target separation. But also remember a colocated coin with iron could drive the ferrrous number up. There is never a for sure thing. I think I've read some say 25 is a good cutoff point for the CTX. It's your decision.

I have limited use with my CTX but i think squirrel1 has covered it rather well. One thought is that if you are using combine tones you can set the FE line as low as you want and then use tone/vid to decide what to dig. If you are running an open screen it will be just as quite.If you are running much disc. things will be a little noiser.
I run at 18 most of the time.Depends on where i am hunting.