Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

WHERE IS YOUR GAIN SET/WHY?

I have read to many times about where people like to leave the gain settings,I try to leave on about 29,dont notice a big difference how about you?

I have mine set around 24. What I have found is that my coins haven't sunk super deep. I've yet to dig a coin over 9". My oldest coin was 2.5" down. My coins I'd have to say average about 5" in depth. Why? I don't know. Sometimes I feel if I were hunting a park or the like and were finding clad nearer the suface and older wheaties and such deeper I would maybe drop the gain down into the mid-teens so I could tell the difference. But when you find your oldest coin at 2.5 inches I don't see much sense in it. For my part, where I'm at, I'm going to dig all the signals.

I'd really like to get to a spot where the silver was 9-11 inches down to see if I've really learned anything about my machine. Then I'd play with the gain.

Great topic!

NebTrac

I keep mine at 25, simply because if I go over a fainter signal it alerts me immediately that it's deep. I understand having a lower gain will reduce the blending of close together signals too:shrug: I need to experiment some more with this setting...

I've had good luck with the factory setting of 24. I also have Andy's coin program and have the gain set at 26. I would say that I'm at 24 90% of the time.

Below is an explanation that was sent to me about the gain (can't remember who sent it to me but thought it was pretty good).

ABOUT THE GAIN FUNCTION

GAIN is a linear function which means that all signals get "amplified" by the same amount until the resulting signal hits the limit value. What follows are some illustrations.

#1 If you set the GAIN to 1, then for most targets you will get a measure of how deep the target is by the loudness of the tone. The disadvantage is that the deeper targets may produce tones that will be so weak that they are easy to miss.

#2 If you set the GAIN to 10 (10 was the max for the Explorer. On the E-Trac it's 30 so substitute 30 for the 10), then the deeper targets will produce a louder tone than for the GAIN setting of 1. This makes the deeper targets easier to hear. The disadvantage is that many of the shallow targets will hit the limit and all have the same loudness. This causes you to lose the ability to determine depth based upon the loudness of the tone (for the shallower targets).

I can still hear a difference on deep targets with gain maxed. They don't sound as nice as shallow targets do. I can still tell that the target is good, but the sound is definitely different.

I guess I am in the minority on this one,But I like to run mine down to 18. I always like to tell the difference between the deeper target's and shallower ones. I got in to this habit with my fisher cz's which I ran with volume below boast at 4. Now I'm so use to hunting that way I won't even consider a machine with out some type of modulated audio.

I am not convinced that the machine does not respond as well with a lower gain setting. Yes the tone is fainter but the machine either sees it or it doesn't . I don't think a lower gain setting in the 15-20 range will cause you to miss deep targets. I agree that if you go too low the tones may get lost with falsing or other signals. But you do need to train your ears, so a beginner with the E-Trac or Explorer may want to run a higher gain just to learn the tones quicker.

I have always run my Explorers at 5 or 6 gain setting which is about a 15-18 setting on the E-Trac. I just like to hear the depth vs seeing it on the meter. I seem to have good ears for he deep faint signals as I have found my share of deep targets with the Explorers. It also seems the depth meter on the E-Trac likes too overestimate the depth is most cases. I have dug more clad with the E-Trac in 3 moths than I did all last year with the Explorers and part of it is the depth gauge telling me a coin is 6-7 inches and when I dig it is is clad at 4-5 inches. Another reason I have gone to a lower Gain setting and hearing the depth vs the meter.

But remember, these are only my opinions and I am still only about 100 hours in on the E-Trac so I am still learning a few things. But one thing for sure -- the Minelab FBS machines are the best for turf hunting and for deep ID. Respectable relic machine but very heavy!! If I am hunting coins in a turf area I use nothing but a Minelab Explorer or E-Trac.

Ron (CA)

well they are all great and valid points,also all this input helps alot of people out tremendously.thanks all for the input please keep it coming.

I keep the gain on my E-Trac set at 20 most of the time. At that setting I have an easier time telling deep targets from shallower ones. I have tried it at higher settings and just don't care for it.

I have noticed in trashy areas that with higher gain up above 27-29 that it makes a lot more noise.anybody have the same thing when you set it to high in say a trashy park?